Need buying advice*** - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 03-17-2009, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
watisgood

Need buying advice***

Looking to buy a wrangler and was doing some research...this is going to be my DD havent driven one yet but i would like to hear some of your feedback. I will mostly be taking it on the beach thats as far as offroading goes.

From what i hear the gas isn't the best, im driving a ford exploder that gets about 15 so i can imagine it would be worse than that. Anyways any advise on what models im looking to spend about 12,000.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-23-2009, 06:45 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

For 12k$ you should have plenty of choices.

here is a good link for study

http://www.geocities.com/jeepboy49028/changes.html

and

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=452871

stick with a TJ Wrangler, years 97-06. most prefer the 6cyl as to the 4 cyl, better power and not that much difference in mpg. also understand that every year newer has some level of improvements, some more major than others.

you are going to have auto vs manual trannys, full vs half doors, hard vs soft tops, stock vs lifted/modded.

do research on local craigslist, cars.com, autotrader.com, local papers, used car lots. prices vary by region of the country. go drive everyone you can, even if you know you don't like it. get the feel for the doors, tops, engine size, trannys, etc.

once you are educated, make a list of what you want and what you don't want, and what does not matter. also, don't be in a hurry, i spent 4-6 months, looked at a bunch, ended up getting one 1100 miles away and driving it home.

good luck

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #3 of 3 Old 03-23-2009, 07:48 PM
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Don't be afraid to drive a long distance to get what you want, I drove 300mi one way for mine. Look underneath the jeep for any leaks or scrapes or scratches this will let you know if it has been wheeled hard. You should be able to find a nice TJ for that price, if you want an auto, I would look for one after 03 so you over drive. As far as mileage it should be around the same maybe a little better than your explorer. Depending on tires and gearing, the bigger the tires that are on it the worse the mileage is going to be, also a lift will not help mileage. Wranglers are designed like a brick or a sheet of plywood, not very aerodynamic. If you only want to do sand any jeep should be fine.

Max

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in