Looking at a YJ this weekend... Thoughts? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 03-12-2019, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Ravenbar
2002 WJ 

Garage
Looking at a YJ this weekend... Thoughts?

Thoughts? Owner says frame is in good shape.

My comments/thoughts below pictures.

Fenders made of plywood/store shelves? Edges look funny to be something bought.

Rocker guards or is it lawn edging?

Neither are deal breakers as I'll build my own fenders and rockers can be boat sided if rotted.

Not very familiar with YJ's under the hood, 6cyl especially, but it almost looks too much like my WJ 4.0 to be factory.

Problems listed are a bad clutch. Guessing they started tearing ti apart based on the shifter being in pieces. I also see a Tuffy security console so $300 bonus.

Odd tab weld on frame?

35x12.5xr15, so it's probably got a least a 6" lift.

It's a 3 hour drive so I'm looking for a way to get it home if purchased. Asking price of $1700 OBO. Seller seems motivated so I could probably get it for $1500. It's the first 6cyl I've seem for sale for less than $5k in a while.

Project Thumper:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

KD2QQF
Member of Fourth Coast Jeeps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-13-2019, 06:20 AM
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like an absolute money pit. I suggest waiting until you can purchase a rig that isn’t a cobbled together mess. Given your location I’m sure the frame is rusted too.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-13-2019, 01:11 PM
bdavid500
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Motor looks correct. Is it any good? Will it start? There are a lot of unknowns, we are assuming that you can do all the work? I wouldn't want to pay 1500 for it and a 3 hour drive to check it out is a pretty deep investment.

post #4 of 5 Old 03-13-2019, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Ravenbar
2002 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavid500 View Post
Motor looks correct. Is it any good? Will it start? There are a lot of unknowns, we are assuming that you can do all the work? I wouldn't want to pay 1500 for it and a 3 hour drive to check it out is a pretty deep investment.

I can do all the work, probably even be fabbing my own parts for a lot of it. First time doing a clutch as every vehicle I've ever had has been an auto. Motor is said to run. Biggest thing going for is it it's the first 6 cyl I've seen anywhere near my price range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Doctor View Post
Looks like an absolute money pit. I suggest waiting until you can purchase a rig that isnít a cobbled together mess. Given your location Iím sure the frame is rusted too.

The plan for this is a road legal trail rig(that can be a backup to my daily) so a little cobbly, rustyness is OK. What I don't want is a money pit. Looks like I'll be passing on this one for that reason.

Project Thumper:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

KD2QQF
Member of Fourth Coast Jeeps
post #5 of 5 Old 03-14-2019, 05:56 PM
bdavid500
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If your budget is 1500-2000 then MAYBE this is for you, BUT count on spending 1500 to 2500 (+or-) to make it road worthy and some what capable. And that won't getyou a lot. So that equates to 3k to 3.5k. Some will say you can do it a lot cheaper but since there are so many unknowns you best plan on the high number. If you could get it for less than 1500 and you have plenty of time then the decision is on you. Sadly jeeps are just not cheap. I am shocked when I see what some people ask for them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in