Looking for Scrambler - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-19-2019, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Dekuiper

Looking for Scrambler

In preparation for retirement and touring the states in an RV, my wife and I are starting the hunt for a tow vehicle (TOAD, Dinghy). While talking about this, I mentioned a Jeep. I was so excited when she mentioned a Scrambler! We love the "old school" and now classic looks.

We have owned a 1962 Toyota Landcruiser and a 1981 Alfa Romeo Spider so I know about working on vehicles and do much of the work myself.

This would be our first Jeep, however so I'm looking to educate myself and forums are always a great start.

Are there specific years to avoid? For example, the 1981 is the worst year Alfa to purchase because it is the only year to have a mechanical fuel injection system due to that time period being key in the emissions changes.

Are there known issues to look out for? Obviously on a 30+ year old vehicle, anything can happen (and likely will) so looking for obvious watch outs. Rust is a known negative also.

We have time...retirement is still a year+ away but if the right one comes along, we want to be prepared and ready. We also don't want to jump on the first one or be left searching as we are ready to pull out on the road.

Thanks for your assistance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-19-2019, 11:53 AM
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Finding a Scrambler in decent condition is going to be challenging. Expect to spend over $20,000 for a rust free fully functional rig. Have you considered a 2004 - 2006 Jeep LJ? Fuel injected 4.0 with about 190 horsepower.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-23-2019, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Dekuiper

Thanks Duck Doctor. That is good advice as a more modern alternative. Likely will cost as much or more than an older one but should be more reliable. Are they a specific model? Are they still marketed as Wranglers or how would one go about narrowing the search for one, say on AutoTrader?

post #4 of 5 Old 08-23-2019, 09:40 AM
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep Wrangler LJ was produced from 2004 to 2006. You can easily purchase an LJ for far less than a Scrambler in comparable condition.

Best year for the automatic transmission LJ was 2004. The manual transmission was only available in 2005-2006. Stay away from automatic transmission equipped LJs from 2005 and 2006 due to common issues with that PCM that are challenging to repair.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-23-2019, 11:03 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

It may also help to know the official name for the LJ was the Wrangler Unlimited, might get some more hits in your search.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in