Looking for first Jeep. Engines to avoid? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-31-2019, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Rdfact

2001 WJ 

Looking for first Jeep. Engines to avoid?

Hi all,
I am looking for my first Jeep and am considering an older Cherokee because they can be found fairly cheap. I have read a lot about the 4.0 inline six being nearly bulletproof. What about other engines such as the 5.2 or 5.9 V8? I also see some older Wranglers with 4 cylinders for fairly cheap (probably because it's a 4 cylinder ).

I just want something for basic off-roading, not rock crawling. I'm in the Carson City, NV area, lots of BLM around. MPGs are not that important. My current daily is a 1990 F250 extra cab long bed with a 460 that gets 10 MPG. I work from home so don't need to drive a lot. The F250 is a 4x4 but it's so long and heavy, and I don't want to beat up my OBS.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-30-2019, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Rdfact

2001 WJ 

Thirty days have passed and over 300 views, but no comments? Did I earn the dumb post of the year award? Yay me.
Was it the 4 cylinder comment? The OBS comment? Question already asked a zillion times?

Anyway, I ended up buying a 2001 Grand Cherokee Limited with 127k miles and Quadra Drive.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-30-2019, 12:19 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
might be the place you posted. since its not model specific.

if you would have say posted it where they have all the models of Cherokees, and the fans of them for the type of Cherokee.

Much of the deserts here in the west are BLM. The good the bad and the Ugly of them.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old 09-30-2019, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Rdfact

2001 WJ 

When I made the OP, I did not have a specific model in mind so I thought this was the best place for a generic question on engines. I have since looked at older Wranglers, Cherokees and GCs. I settled on an 01 Grand Cherokee that looked cleaned and had fairly low miles. It has the 4.7 V8.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-30-2019, 02:44 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
like most anything if they are cared for not overheated things tend to last a long time. I dont generally even think of a jeep other then wranglers-cjs.

post #6 of 7 Old 10-01-2019, 10:29 AM
LindseyD
2007 WK 

I had a 92 Wrangler with a 4 cylinder for my first Jeep. I LOVED that truck. I never even touched that engine besides oil changes while I owned it. I'd say it was bullet proof. I had to go with 4 cylinder to get the manual trans. The whole truck was bullet proof. I got in several accidents, one with a semi, and you couldn't even tell. If you want the full Jeep experience then you shoulda got a Wrangler or CJ, imo.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-01-2019, 02:18 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
i had a 47cj2a stock flat head 4 made what 50hp? back in the mid 70s and it ran the Rubicon then, but could not do 55mph. after that i had a 66cj with the odd fire v6. that was my favorite of all jeeps engines and it was Buick.
The JKR we bought new 12 model year. Stripped it, no top no hard doors no air bags no stock seats. all plastic removed inside excepting the dash and consul. room for dogs and gear. I needed a smoother ride off road, linked is much smoother then leafs. We do a lot of trails most are harder and the longer as well, Dusy Rubicon Fordyce. here in the west we have so many trails its not even plausible to run them all. We run the Con most every spring and Dusy in the fall, was cold there this year. getting older dont help. Az has a lot of great trails. most are near the Nevada side of AZ. Bullhead through Kingman down to Parker is hard to beat for mines and desert views, some very hard trails too.

Tags
cherokee , engine , motor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in