Looking at an 03 Grand Cherokee today - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-28-2018, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
DJ24966

Looking at an 03 Grand Cherokee today

I've never owned a Jeep product before but have plenty of friends who do and or have. I'm taking one of them with me to take a look at the vehicle but wanted some advice here as well.

Mainly looking for something to play with on the weekends so don't want to drop a ton of money into right off the bat, and it doesn't have to be in the greatest shape cosmetically.

The one I'm looking at has 274k miles but I'm pretty sure the motor was swapped and the lady doesn't realize it. I'll confirm that when I go look. It's the 4.0 which I've been told is a great motor to work with. Everything else is stock, but according to the CarFax it was involved in an accident earlier this year, however the title is clean.

What all should I look for before making the decision and what would be a good price to offer? I work in the car business and have appraised trades before so I know I can wiggle her on the price, which btw she hasn't told me a number, just told me to make her an offer.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-28-2018, 06:20 PM
Jepsen
1997 ZJ 

Garage
Start with, does it run and what does not work? Hopefully itís a shorter list than what does work. I would definitely bring a jack. At stock height itís tough to get underneath. Check the engine,TC, trans, front and rear pinions, axle seals for leaks. Check for slop in the drive train. If the seller has receipts, I find this to be the best resource for information. You can find out what parts are new and hopefully when they were installed.

Personally I wouldnít worry about the collision repair depending on where it was hit and how severe. Inspect the unibody structure for wrinkles and cracks. I have 3 ZJís. The first one purchased from a used lot. Carfax was clean. Title was clean. Figured out after I paid too much and brought it home it had been in a front end collision simply by looking at the stack ofreceipts left in it: Radiator, water pump, headlights, grille, etc. After closer inspection, they did a good job of hiding (not repairing) the wrinkled structure up front. Carfax only reports what was reported to them so donít put much faith in them.

The other two both have reconstructed titles. One of which was resurrected from a wrecking yard. All 3 have had their quirks, but nothing that couldnít be sorted out with help from JF.

If itís 100% stock, that makes it easier to inspect. I would treat it like any other vehicle inspection. Pay closer attention to anything aftermarket. You donít know if it was professionally installed or slapped in by some hack.

Specific to Grand Cherokees: Look for rust in the rockers behind the plastic cladding (typical rust location). If CEL is present, check for codes (drivability and dependability issue). Clunking sound while driving could be TC issues (expensive repair).

Good luck
post #3 of 7 Old 10-29-2018, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
DJ24966

Engine and everything seemed solid. Everything works as it should except the stereo which I can fix.

New tires, brakes, rotors, heater core, water pump, timing chain was also done.

Didn’t find any rust anywhere. I’m offering her $1500 cash. Do you think that’s a fair price? She wanted $2000.

post #4 of 7 Old 10-29-2018, 04:46 PM
Jepsen
1997 ZJ 

Garage
There's close to $1500 in parts listed there. Definitely if you include labor. I can't speak too much on price as it depends on your location. Check your local CL and get a feel for what they are going for. If the water pump and timing chain were replaced at the same time, you may want to look for possible signs of overheating. Issues could result later down the line.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-29-2018, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
DJ24966

I offered her $1500 cash and she agreed. I'll pick it up later this week. Hopefully it's a good investment I can have some fun with.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-05-2018, 10:02 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ24966 View Post
The one I'm looking at has 274k miles.
What all should I look for before making the decision?
Another Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I'd rather knock myself unconscious, cut a finger off, poke my eye out with a sharp stick or be forced to go back to work than install anything made by Rusty's.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift/Rancho 9000XL shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ on 33s. #18
post #7 of 7 Old 04-17-2019, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
DJ24966

Still running strong with zero issues other than a stuck brake caliper so far.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in