LJ, JKU or JLU - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 02-06-2020, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
PFA1975

2006 TJ Wrangler 

LJ, JKU or JLU

Looking for some advice. I have the option to purchase an LJ, a 2017 Rubicon Recon or a 2019 JL sport s with fox suspension and 35s. I believe I need the space of the 4 door so three of us can hit the trails, with gear to camp and have a good time. Not sure what the better choice is though between the 3 as far as capabilities go. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-07-2020, 09:43 AM
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Are you mechanically inclined? LJ is 14 to 16 years old requiring regular maintenance and repairs.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-07-2020, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
PFA1975

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I can handle routine maintenance and basic mechanics. Not afraid of getting my hands dirty (I have 51 year old Dodge Charger that i tend to regularly). The LJ just might be to small for the three of us. Primarily should I go JK or JL?

post #4 of 5 Old 02-07-2020, 11:44 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
capability wise any stock the Rubicon will do thing the other will not. Lockers, 4:1 low d44axles. Not that you cant add these to any jeep but the cost to do it is far from low cost. In the end it depend on what type of trails? taking a new JL to beat up on rocks.

tossing 35s on a jeep is easy really . doing it right with the correct gears/steering etc... is not as and not low cost. Dealer lifts tend to bottom of the barrel. and they charge you as if its top of line stuff....

sounds like you know your way around a wrench. lifts are rather simple to install. If you are a good mechanic or OCD enough to do it gears/lockers can be done at home saves about 50% of the cost. But its one of the harder jobs one can do, short of a engine rebuild at home.

few things about the new JLU/Jl's stock they do not come with d44 rear anymore its a new gen d35 and d30 front. that d44 is option now. Off road i have SEEN they have very week steering power. Might even be worse then the jks. Now this is on 35s where you need 35s and locked difs. We had two run withh our club a few weeks back and both on 34s could hardly turn in rocks at all. It has electrical driven steering gear box. For jeep this a new thing. as all before had a pump and gear box like any truck used to. I heard PSC does make a better E box but again i would bet that box is over 1k. since the JK one that is not electrical they make a big bore box( i have this) that is like what today 900? i bought mine when they were preorder a new thing.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-24-2020, 03:07 PM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Perhaps late to the party... but since I own an LJ, I would choose between the other 2 if you need a DD and the 4 door room. Yes, the LJ has more room than a TJ, but not as much as the above. Plus it still has the 4.0 and for a DD I'd rather have the V6.

Don't get me wrong... love my LJ. But it's a trail rig and not a DD.

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in