KJ vs WJ - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 04-18-2021, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
CanadianCook

KJ vs WJ

So I’m going to purchase either a 2002 WJ Laredo with 4.0, auto, select trac and 189,000 km or a 2004 KJ Colombia Edition with auto, command trac and 229,000 km. I am just heading out here in a couple hours to look at them, advise on both pros and cons please. My gut says get the WJ for that 4.0 but I’ve been curious about the liberty both are the same price and in excellent condition
Any opinions would be appreciated
Thanks
Travis

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-18-2021, 07:02 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I see 3x more WJ and 2x more XJ than KJ still on the road. I also see many more good condition WJ donors at the junkyard than KJ. WJ is roomier, can haul more, and should the worst happen, will be more protective in a crash. Not to mention the WJ has the 4.0 L.

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts,
not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution” Abraham Lincoln, 1859.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-18-2021, 07:07 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

The WJ was the top of the line of the Jeep models. More luxurious accommodations, way more room. More available aftermarket upgrades too.
The KJ was the budget disposable econo-Jeep of it's day. Smaller, less powerful and very little aftermarket support.
Personally, I wouldn't even look at the KJ.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion

post #4 of 6 Old 04-18-2021, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
CanadianCook

I have been looking at the lift options for both and I kinda came to the same conclusion, but gotta look at both, thank you for the opinions, I guess I was hoping for a nail in the coffin of either like one has the worst transmission or something to that effect both will pull my tent trailer and should be decent camping rigs. Both are super clean from what I can see in pictures

Current 96 Grand Cherokee Laredo

Previous 92 Cherokee
4 inch BDS lift, 33x10.5 Swamper Radials
post #5 of 6 Old 04-19-2021, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
CanadianCook

Well I picked up the WJ it’s in great shape, I have found a couple issues to work out:
1) A/C only works out the defrost and floor vent, so I have done some reading and found it’s a fairly common problem from a vacuum leak, I can switch through all the settings so the blend door seems to be working
2) this is the big one, drove Jeep motor was quiet and smooth, we went for a good test drive, performed great, so I bought it and stated to drive home. We went through a drive thru for coffee and that’s when I heard it this very loud ticking couldn’t inspect it there in the drive thru, so we pulled out and drove to the first place I could pull over and popped the hood and ticking was gone. Went home didn’t hear again, went out again later no noise and then driving home it came back I could hear it in the cab with the window down and I pulled over again popped hood and it was gone again. So I’m a little stumped, this morning when I go out will be my first cold start so we will see if I get the tick
Thanks for everyone’s input
Attached Thumbnails
2AD3CB05-38AF-4329-8423-EBEE4B8E89A3_1618840441830.jpg  

Current 96 Grand Cherokee Laredo

Previous 92 Cherokee
4 inch BDS lift, 33x10.5 Swamper Radials
post #6 of 6 Old 04-19-2021, 12:13 PM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

WJ over KJ any time, any day.

I had an 06 KJ. Biggest piece of garbage I ever owned. If it could go wrong with it, it did. I just picked up an 02 WJ, 4.0L with 162K on it. You could instantly tell it was a better vehicle. The 4.0L is a far better motor than the 3.7L will ever be.

The WJ is for my son who needs dependable transportation to work and to cart my grand daughter around. It too, like yours, is in really great shape in and out. It needed a few things that the PO didn't know about. Changed out the weeping water pump, put in an alternator just because they are known to go 100-150K and then die so this one was on borrowed time and did the front brakes.

The 4.0L has a couple of nuisances but they are not hard to deal with. The rear main seal is a 2 piece and fairly easy to change out, but they will start to weep eventually and the valve cover can leak between cylinder 5 and 6. That is usually just loose bolts.

02 WJ Laredo, heavily optioned but stock
12 JK, 3.5" Teraflex/Franken lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in