JKU Rubicon or JL Sport? Perspective inside - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 09-13-2020, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
TheLachlan

JKU Rubicon or JL Sport? Perspective inside

Looking for advice from people with actual experience with both models if possible.

My situation: Itís me, my wife, almost 4 yr old, almost 3 yr old, and about a 3 mo old, so 3 car seats. Current vehicle is a 18 Duramax, slight lift, Fuelís, Fox shocks, 35ís, and now it may be time for a 2nd vehicle. We want a fun car we can enjoy with the family and we like off roading but the truck is not as capable as a Jeep and has a different purpose, it hauls our 5th wheel in which we live full time. The way it looks right now we plan to spend a majority of the winter in Amarillo and they have some nice trails there I hear and we have been to the entrance. We are also 5th on a waitlist at an Rv park in Woodland Park Colorado area and once a spot opens up we plan to move to Colorado for the foreseeable future. There are a ton of trails in that area and great off road adventure opportunities the way it looks. If we buy a Jeep I would expect us to be hitting trails almost every weekend that we are home, kinda make it our family hobby/pastime.

We have owned a 2015 JKU Sport a few years back that we enjoyed and took to a few parks and had fun in it. I put spacers for a lift on it and 35ís and it did what we needed it to but never got crazy with it. Also we are not looking to go crazy as the whole family will be along for the ride most of the time, so no crazy logic defying rock climbing but at the same time I want something well capable for the mild stuff.

Budget is around $30ish and what I see is that there are previous generation (2012+)higher mileage Rubiconís to be had for around $30K or slightly used JL Sports for about the same. Either way a slight lift and 35 or 37ís would be in order most likely, would be great to find one with those things on it already.

So, is it worth getting a lower trim JL over a top of the line Rubicon JKU for the mission I have described? Or is a Rubicon just overkill for what we want and should we go with another lower trim lower mileage JKU and have more $$ leftover?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-14-2020, 03:05 PM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Well, a slightly used JL would probably be still under factory warranty, which could be really handy.

The Rubicon would be ready, out of the box, for trails but a Sport S JL is pretty capable. One of our club members has a Sport S with the LSD and she kept up with up except for the more technical stuff, where she opted out for personal reasons.

For 35's, either is going to need a small lift, for 37's a larger lift. For what your intended use is, 37's are too much but if that's what you want, you really need to step up to the Rubicon with the D44 axles and hopefully 4.10 gearing.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in