Jeepless in Seattle - need JL advice - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 03-06-2019, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Wacklyn

Jeepless in Seattle - need JL advice

Not really in Seattle lol but I am Jeepless

I recently sold my old girl an '08 Sahara Unlimited. My plan was to take that cash and put it toward an '18 or '19 JL asap. Doing my research, I have found more comments than I am comfortable with about issues it has. Apparently there are reports of a death wobble, loose steering, and issues with the welding in the track bar?? I am trying to find info from first hand experiences. The comments on the NHTSA website are not comforting. Comments on reviews elsewhere talk about how the dealerships are really not very helpful in getting the problems resolved.

I also can't imagine driving anything other than a Jeep. I've never bought a brand new vehicle, this was supposed to be a big milestone for me. Does anyone have more info, any advice, anything to ease my mind?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-07-2019, 08:40 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Sounds like the new JL has all the same factory features as the JK!

One thing to remember; if someone is happy, they'll tell a few people. If someone is unhappy, they tell EVERY person.

TWICE.

It's the new model year, and there absolutely will be some hiccups.

Let me ask you this; did you like your '08? Because most everybody posts NOT to buy (or stay away) from the 07-08 because they were the new model w/ a slew of unresolved problems, yet I hear people say all the time how much they love theirs (with real world feedback)

Personally, they only part I'm not convinced on in the JL is the 4 cyl, but the V6 and trans/ running gear is tried and proven.

Let us know what color you choose

Hoss

I'd rather be a few peoples shot of whiskey than everyones cup of tea...
post #3 of 5 Old 03-07-2019, 09:17 AM
kiton
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I am currently looking at the 08 JKU and there indeed were several recalls. But my assumption is that if those recalls were addressed, then there shouldn't be any issues. JoonHoss is right that any new vehicle is going to have hiccups, yet if you are really after the new body why not go for it. I personally cannot imagine a 4-cylinder turbo Jeep, but you never know until you try it

post #4 of 5 Old 03-07-2019, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Wacklyn

You are both right! Hoss, to answer your question, I LOVED my '08. Loved like a child lol well maybe not a child but it was definitely like a pet to me (her name was Starla ). I cried when I sold it. The most important thing about the sale was that it went to a young man who had been saving up for a Jeep half his life and it was his dream car. So I know she went to good hands!

Kiton, indeed it did have several recalls, but they were handled as they came it, nothing became a lingering issue in those cases. And to be honest it still had quirks about it when I sold it. It wasn't perfect. I was just used to it and didn't think of the quirks as flaws. I should go into this new Jeep with the same mindset.

The scariest part of what I have read is that the dealerships don't either seem to know how to fix the death wobble or don't care to invest in the product to do it right (probably costs more money than they are willing to spend?). My boyfriend has had ongoing issues with his '15 Cherokee, the dealer is giving him that same run around. Perhaps it's an issue with that dealer's service department? Or are they all generally on the same page?

Hoss, I'm leaning heavily toward Sting Gray
post #5 of 5 Old 03-08-2019, 09:56 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

There are good dealers and there are bad dealers.

In my area, there are 3 good dealers and 2 bad ones. Fortunately, all of them are on a 30 mile radius so it's not hard to choose a good one.

My neighbor has a 18 JLU Sport S and she loves it. She has had no issues what so ever. I helped her swap out the springs and shocks for Rubi takeoff's and it sits up nicely now.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in