Jeep Wrangler shopping - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 07-03-2020, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
ekat2003

Jeep Wrangler shopping

Hi - Just joined the forum. I am in need of of a new hobby and have loved Jeeps since high school. Many years ago. My first exposure was through a 1979 CJ-5 ... long gone. Now have a teenage daughter who needs a first vehicle and will be starting her with an older Wrangler. Something for us to work on together, teach her how to take care of her transportation, and pass on the love of Jeeps to the next generation.

The shopping has begun. Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, Autotrader, etc. are pretty brutal. Will continue to check the classifieds on the forum but if anyone has a Wrangler they want to part with please let me know. I am in Upstate SC but can travel a bit to pick up the right thing.

Glad to be part of the forum.

ekat2003

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-04-2020, 06:49 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Shopping and buying my TJ years ago was one of the most daunting used vehicle buying tasks I've every had.. I found that wranglers come from the factory in "more flavors" than most vehicles, and throw on top of that, all the different conditions and mods that previous owners may have done, the variations are endless.

I'm in the Dallas/Ft Worth area and you'd think it would be easy. I looked for 4 months looking at countless vehicles. I ended up finding one on Craigslist in your neck of the woods, Charlotte. Made the trip and drove it 1100 miles home across 6 states, making 3 fuel/potty stops.

It's work, but be patient and include your daughter, it will pay off.

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #3 of 4 Old 07-04-2020, 07:31 AM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

People's priorities vary. Some are looking for a very specific model. Some want pristine or solid mechanical condition. Others are looking at price. Some want stick, some want auto.

Depending on how specific your needs are affects how long or far you need to look. When I got my YJ 14 years ago, I didn't mind 130K since it ran solid. I didn't care whether stick or auto. I now have 360+ K on it now, and when the wife suggests maybe a newer one, I can't see changing. Too much of my DNA in this one.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster

post #4 of 4 Old 07-04-2020, 08:36 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
best to find one as rust free as possible will make the restoration something that wont turn into money pit so quick. Though Jeep and money pit is synominis. Even if it weans a longer road trip. Some states older jeeps turn to dust rather fast. Here in AZ you can find super clean specimens as well much of the south west.

But any older vehicle will have needs. They cost less to fix then a new one inmost cases. more over DIY. No idea what your Budget is but. It is far less cost to pay a bit more for a as rust free as one can. Many people sell these things and say "little" rust and fact is it alot'a. Cost in those repairs get well past the cost of the whole jeep easy pezzy and unless you can weld and do metal repair and paint. now its even more expensive to have a shop do it and not worth it as well. If it were say a 69 shelby and rusted. its worth it as it has a great value. a YJ, TJ and up not so much. Even Cjs are not worth that much work Cost wise. If they do need that much then in the end nothing much original left too. there are no real good repop bodys. Glass one have issues. I watched a restored to bones CJ Fiber glass re pop. amazing paint, could still smell it drying. Roll it at our winter Event here in parker. was sad. he let his wife run something they should have never tried. going down a steep dry water fall. she stabbed the brakes when she should have tapped the gas and sent it on its lid and over. Fiber glass is not steel.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in