Jeep Unlimited Advice - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 04-26-2015, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
mmitsch
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep Unlimited Advice

My daughter wants to buy a used 4 door Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I am wondering what are the best / worst model years. I have seen ads about the engine bring larger, etc.

Any initial advice would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-27-2015, 06:44 AM
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My first question is "why"? She needs to give definitive and concrete reasons why she would like to own one.
The idea of owning a Wrangler is very attractive. The reality of that ownership is less so.
"Because they are cute" is not a good answer.

In this case, Google would be your friend.

http://www.jeepproblems.com/Wrangler/
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Jeep/Wrangler/
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...alue/20837951/

From Forbes:
Though some might argue the iconic Wrangler and its four-door Wrangler Unlimited version are among the best-performing off-road vehicles, they suffer from limited passenger comfort, harsh and erratic ride and handling abilities and excessive wind noise at higher speeds. True, they get great resale value, but the Wranglers placed among the lowest scoring models in Consumer Reports’ testing, with the Unlimited also falling on its worst-values list; the original Jeep’s descendent also gets low marks in initial quality, performance and reliability from J.D. Power.

From About Cars:
Before purchasing a Wrangler, here are some of the things you should consider:
If you don't like the outdoors, you won't like a Wrangler.
If you're overly concerned about luxury, safety or security, you won't like a Wrangler.
If you really need a passenger vehicle, a Wrangler probably won't work for you.
If you need space for hauling things (luggage, groceries, etc.), the Wrangler won't do it for you, nor does it have a trunk compartment that locks.
If you have a long commute, you won't enjoy the noisy ride, and the Wrangler guzzles gas.
If you have a large family, you won't be able to comfortably seat everyone in a Wrangler.
If you (or your passengers) are concerned about how you'll "look" when you get to your destination, then you might not appreciate the "sweat factor" or "windblown hair" you get from riding in a Jeep convertible.
In sum, a Wrangler is definitely a "no frills" vehicle. It comes with very few "extras", and some of the most basic things (carpet, steel doors, rear seat) are considered options. If comfort, security, and safety are tops on your list of vehicle requirements, you should probably think twice about buying a Jeep Wrangler.

More From Forbes:
Arguably the most controversial choice on the list is the iconic Jeep Wrangler (including its stretched four-door equivalent the Wrangler Unlimited). While the Wrangler has few equals as a rough-and-tumble go-anywhere off-road vehicle, it’s lacking in refinement, comfort and road manners as a pavement-planted daily driver. Among its many faults, Consumer Reports condemns the Wrangler with such comments as, “it rocks and jiggles constantly, and handling is very clumsy…wind noise becomes very loud at highway speeds…getting in and out is an awkward act…the interior is uncomfortable.” It also gets poor crash test ratings and performance/reliability scores.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-02-2015, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
mmitsch
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDNewman View Post
My first question is "why"? She needs to give definitive and concrete reasons why she would like to own one.
The idea of owning a Wrangler is very attractive. The reality of that ownership is less so.
"Because they are cute" is not a good answer.

In this case, Google would be your friend.

http://www.jeepproblems.com/Wrangler/
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Jeep/Wrangler/
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...alue/20837951/

From Forbes:
Though some might argue the iconic Wrangler and its four-door Wrangler Unlimited version are among the best-performing off-road vehicles, they suffer from limited passenger comfort, harsh and erratic ride and handling abilities and excessive wind noise at higher speeds. True, they get great resale value, but the Wranglers placed among the lowest scoring models in Consumer Reports’ testing, with the Unlimited also falling on its worst-values list; the original Jeep’s descendent also gets low marks in initial quality, performance and reliability from J.D. Power.

From About Cars:
Before purchasing a Wrangler, here are some of the things you should consider:
If you don't like the outdoors, you won't like a Wrangler.
If you're overly concerned about luxury, safety or security, you won't like a Wrangler.
If you really need a passenger vehicle, a Wrangler probably won't work for you.
If you need space for hauling things (luggage, groceries, etc.), the Wrangler won't do it for you, nor does it have a trunk compartment that locks.
If you have a long commute, you won't enjoy the noisy ride, and the Wrangler guzzles gas.
If you have a large family, you won't be able to comfortably seat everyone in a Wrangler.
If you (or your passengers) are concerned about how you'll "look" when you get to your destination, then you might not appreciate the "sweat factor" or "windblown hair" you get from riding in a Jeep convertible.
In sum, a Wrangler is definitely a "no frills" vehicle. It comes with very few "extras", and some of the most basic things (carpet, steel doors, rear seat) are considered options. If comfort, security, and safety are tops on your list of vehicle requirements, you should probably think twice about buying a Jeep Wrangler.

More From Forbes:
Arguably the most controversial choice on the list is the iconic Jeep Wrangler (including its stretched four-door equivalent the Wrangler Unlimited). While the Wrangler has few equals as a rough-and-tumble go-anywhere off-road vehicle, it’s lacking in refinement, comfort and road manners as a pavement-planted daily driver. Among its many faults, Consumer Reports condemns the Wrangler with such comments as, “it rocks and jiggles constantly, and handling is very clumsy…wind noise becomes very loud at highway speeds…getting in and out is an awkward act…the interior is uncomfortable.” It also gets poor crash test ratings and performance/reliability scores.
Thank you for the response!

Do you know if there is a model year to look for / avoid? These have been around since 2006 and I was wondering if any imprivements have been made? When is the next new model?

post #4 of 6 Old 05-03-2015, 11:59 AM
EarlBalentine
2018 LJ Wrangler 

2014 Jeep Wrangler 4X4

Most people buys Jeeps for the roughness and bold looks.
I bought one and yeah I did about 6 rough trails that made my teeth fall out.
It was all fun but felt that a new Jeep wasn't the way to go.
As I mention they look cool and bold, but: rough ride, noise ride, wonder the hwy at high speed, poor storage area in real, the over size woofer takes up too much space. It has basic features for an expensive vehicle ($38k).
I sold it last week and now will buy an older 4X4 vehicle for the weekend trail rides and not worry if I will scratch it.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-03-2015, 12:13 PM
EarlBalentine
2018 LJ Wrangler 

My reply to MMitsch;
I agree with the original post by WDNewman. I agree 100%. I bought a 2014 Jeep Wrangler 4/door Sahara. I could not wait to get rid of it. A terrible ride for the cost. They look great on the road/dirt but are a piece of &^%*. The only thing good was it held its value and I got most of my money back. I traded my 2000 S10 Blazer on the Jeep. My Blazer was 10 times better than the Jeep in every possible way except it would not climb a wall or go over giant boulder.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-04-2015, 07:21 PM
R U STUCK

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmitsch
Thank you for the response! Do you know if there is a model year to look for / avoid? These have been around since 2006 and I was wondering if any imprivements have been made? When is the next new model?
The original "Unlimited" was the LJ. Now they are the JKU and JKUR's. The next model change will be in '17. Wrangler/CJs run 10 yrs before any major changes. If you do go four door do not do the '07s because of oil consumption issues...

'04 TJ Rocky Mountain, 4" Fabtech, Sitting on 35"s
Jeep Selling Guru...
IG: R_U_STUCK

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in