• 1 Post By cranbiz
  • 1 Post By 2jhanna
  • 1 Post By 2jhanna

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-06-2020, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
ppine

Garage
Jeep Starter Kit

I have made a living driving pickups, Broncos and Ram Chargers in the dirt for around 30 years. Lots of mine roads and remote country, but I have never owned a Jeep except an old Wagoneer. Now I am retired and have lots of time and some money. There are great places right in my backyard. I would like to be able to get down the highway an hour or two for new places to explore. I have learned to be careful driving in the bush. I have only walked out once after breaking a front axle on a Wagoneer.

I am thinking about an Xj or Tj with the 4.0 liter engine, manual trans and fairly stock drivetrain for a first Jeep. Some bolt on parts would be good. There are a lot of Dana 30 axles out there on good used Jeeps. Since I drive like an old guy, would they be alright or do I need to look for a Rubicon model or built Jeeps with a Dana 44 axles?. What gear ratios would be best for reasonable off-road travel?

I am tempted to buy a stock looking jeep that has probably spent little time in the dirt, and then add some parts like a winch, armor, etc.

What do you guys recommend for a first Jeep that will not see hard use? I am reluctant to consider a built Jeep with lots of custom parts. Am I on the right track?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-06-2020, 12:06 PM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Yes, you are on the right track.

A D30 is fine if you don't go huge tires, locker or get really stupid. Yes the D44 is better and if you found a Rubicon in the condition you want and the price you are willing to pay, buy it.

Gear ratio depends on type of use and tire size. A Rubicon will come with 4.10's in a TJ. That will be great on 33" tires.

An auto is much easier to off road with but I wouldn't get one in a 05-06 TJ.
ppine likes this.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #3 of 7 Old 03-06-2020, 05:40 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I was also looking for a manual tranny, 4.0l when I got my TJ. While base gearing is 3.07, there are many out there with optional factory 3.73 gears. This can come in the standard D35, as well as rear D44.

I kept shopping until I found this, and I think this configuration works well, even with 31" tires. No mods or lifts required, and with the 5 speed, you have all the spunk.

Start looking around Craigslist, cars.com, etc. go look at and test drive as many as you can. Also, don't be afraid to go out of your area. I went from Dallas to Charlotte to get mine.
ppine likes this.

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx

post #4 of 7 Old 03-06-2020, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
ppine

Garage
thanks. I drove a couple of newer Wranglers today, one was a 2010 Rubicon and I took it in the dirt. Very civilized suspension on the pavement and in the dirt. I like the nostalgia of the manual trans. Autos seem to be very practical. I wanted to see what this vehicles felt like in good shape so I have something to compare the older ones to.

I drove a 1998 tj with 90k miles. It was clean and ran great. It had manual 5 speed and Dana 30 in the front and Dana 35 in the rear. It had the 4 cylinder engine but came with 4:11 rear. It felt like it had enough power because of the gears. In low range it has a ton of torque.

I know everyone likes the 4.0 engine a lot, so it makes sense to get one. Do people have strong preferences about auto or manual trans in the tjs?
post #5 of 7 Old 03-07-2020, 04:39 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Auto vs manual, 4cyl vs 6 cyl, chicken or the egg, those debates will go on till longer than the coronavirus.

Most off road uses like auto better, only 2 peddles gives better control over 3 on rough grounds, rocks, etc.

The earlier 4 cyl, the 2.5 is a little brother to the 4.0, is pretty hardy. The later 4cyl, 2.4 many call the mini van engine.

You should go to the TJ tech section chatter, there's one member, armyRN, who has a 4 cyl, see his set up. Read the link below, he has some posts in there. Read down through the thread to see army's different post.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/2...think-4386807/
ppine likes this.

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #6 of 7 Old 03-07-2020, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
ppine

Garage
Thanks to 2jhanna.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-22-2020, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
ppine

Garage
thanks.
I have given up on Jeeps and back to driving the old Ford 7.3 diesel.
Jeeps get complicated when they get modified. the knee bone is connected to the thigh bone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in