Jeep nOOb - 2005 LJ Unlimited Advice - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 03-15-2014, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
qwopzxnm

Jeep nOOb - 2005 LJ Unlimited Advice

Hey everyone-

I've been interested in getting a Jeep for a while now and just started lurking on the forums a couple weeks ago. I'm looking for a good platform to build something to tackle trails, no rock crawling or anything crazy.

I have a family of 4 so I was initially interested in the 4-door JKs for the interior room and convenience, but unfortunately price takes those out of the equation.

I found a 2005 LJ close by and wanted to get your expert opinions on whether or not this is a good deal.

-106,000 miles
-soft-top
-automatic
-stock
-exterior and interior look to be in good shape.
-Khaki on Khaki cloth
-carfax history is clear
-Asking $11,500 but can be negotiated lower.

Miles have me concerned but this would be a 3rd car and not a daily driver for me.

What do you guys think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-15-2014, 05:03 PM
Lastshot

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Welcome to the forum!
Thats a pretty good price for an LJ, especially if it has no rust. I payed 2 grand more than that for mine, similar miles but with a hardtop and 6spd. The 4.0 I6 engine can easily hit 200k+ miles if taken care of properly,usually the frame will rust out before the engine goes. One thing to take note of with 2005-2006 Tj/LJ is the Oil pump drive assembly (OPDA), many people have had issues with the factory ones not getting enough oil, and putting bad wear on the cam gear. The good news is that there is a replacement unit that costs ~$120 and addresses the issue.

{Project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-'05 LJ build }~{SOLD '98 TJ -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
}
{You know you drive a TJ
}
Quote:
gily25 Says...
Issues only become problems when you don't have the tools or time to fix it.
Mike318 Says...
I like my 4.0L like I like my ****... stroked and blown. :duhrock:
post #3 of 6 Old 03-15-2014, 05:19 PM
ijp4fun
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Looks like a good deal. If they will negotiate down a bit more it is a great deal. Looks like a California vehicle, if so it should be rust free.
For what you want to do with it that is a great choice and a hard to find model. Don't delay or it will be gone. See if they have the hard top for it.

:)

post #4 of 6 Old 03-17-2014, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
qwopzxnm

Thanks for your replies LastShot and ijp4fun.

I went and took a look at it and it's definitely used and off road. It had a Banks cold air induction and some other stuff but the interior was worn down, no hard top, soft top had small tear above driver side door, the doors swung all the way open and the A/C didn't work. They said that all of these would be fixed before the purchase.

When I went in to talking numbers they were starting to get interested around $10K all in (Tax, lic, etc.). I'm thinking if I push it I could get to $9,500.

Thoughts?
post #5 of 6 Old 03-17-2014, 09:01 PM
pinaplebob

2011 WK 

Looks nice in the pics, it's a shame its beat up. If they were willing to fix a majority of everything you listed I would be interested at that price. Unless their is something obvious screwed up on the other 3 sides not shown in the picture.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-17-2014, 10:42 PM
ijp4fun
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Considering KBB is over $13000 in my area, you had best buy it before someone else does.
All the problems you mentioned are just minor issues.
Maybe print off some of the OPDA thread and take it with you for bargaining purposes.

:)

Tags
lj , unlimited

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in