I work for the busiest Jeep store in the world - ask me anything - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 62 Old 01-11-2017, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
nyguesswho
2016 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdenecke View Post
Thanks again. Has there been any updates on the diesel situation?
Ahaha, was waiting for someone to ask. Honestly : No, not yet. Forgive me, I find this whole diesel thing absolutely absurd. Thanks, Volkswagen!

FYI : Even though EcoDiesels are on hold while the EPA investigates every single diesel motor in passenger cars, keep in mind that this is for passenger vehicles ONLY, any commercial vehicle is not subject to this new garbage going on. So, for example, the Cummins found in the RAM 2500 and above is all good to go.

Keith G. - Westbury Jeep Sales Associate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 62 Old 01-11-2017, 12:08 PM
Wrangeln

Thank you very much nyguesswho! Hoping I can make a deal I am willing to swallow the financing on in the next month.
nyguesswho likes this.
post #48 of 62 Old 01-18-2017, 09:13 PM
Glaymeister
1998 TJ Wrangler 

2012 4 door questions.

I'm looking to find a 4 door jeep with Dana 40/60 axles with 4,10 ratio, lockers and a 3.6 engine and a hard top, no transmission preference. QUESTION is, what is the cheapest model i should be looking for that has these features? I'm hoping to find one that was owned by a soccer mom, still stock so I can make it rock climbing ready.

post #49 of 62 Old 01-26-2017, 12:41 PM
number41

Brand new to the forum and I'm looking for my first jeep. I plan on buying late in the year so I am starting to do some research now. Kinda early, I know.
By then 2018's will be out but I don't mind a 2017. For my needs the Wrangler Unlimited Sport S model will suffice.

Some of this is more of a general car buying question but wanted to get some opinions.

Is it best to just price a jeep out with the options I want on the website and send that to various dealers around me?

As far as price goes, the jeep site will calculate it but is there any wiggle room on it while I am at the dealer?

Since I won't be buying until probably December, do I need to go early in the month or later in the month to get the best price?

I assume later might be better but if they don't have the particular options I want then they would have to order it, right? If so would they really be as apt to come off the price?

Does jeep typically run any incentives (financing, etc?)?

I know it's a long way off but I want to have as much knowledge on this as possible before I contact anyone at the dealer.

Thanks
post #50 of 62 Old 01-26-2017, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
nyguesswho
2016 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaymeister View Post
I'm looking to find a 4 door jeep with Dana 40/60 axles with 4,10 ratio, lockers and a 3.6 engine and a hard top, no transmission preference. QUESTION is, what is the cheapest model i should be looking for that has these features? I'm hoping to find one that was owned by a soccer mom, still stock so I can make it rock climbing ready.
Rubicon has the DANA 44 front and rear axles, 4.1 ROCK-TRAC 4WD system, electronic front sway disconnect and electronic axle lock and will probably have a hard top. Anything less will have DANA 44 rear, DANA 30 front. Be on the look out for a 24R with the automatic or a 23R for a stick, hard rock edition replace the R with a J because model codes are stupid and don't make sense when it comes to abbreviations.
I always recommend a sport with the 3.73 gearing. If you're going to mod this jeep little by little, why pay more for stuf you're just going to rip out anyway, you know? Just my 2 cents.

post #51 of 62 Old 01-26-2017, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
nyguesswho
2016 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by number41 View Post
Brand new to the forum and I'm looking for my first jeep. I plan on buying late in the year so I am starting to do some research now. Kinda early, I know.
By then 2018's will be out but I don't mind a 2017. For my needs the Wrangler Unlimited Sport S model will suffice.

Some of this is more of a general car buying question but wanted to get some opinions.

Is it best to just price a jeep out with the options I want on the website and send that to various dealers around me?

As far as price goes, the jeep site will calculate it but is there any wiggle room on it while I am at the dealer?

Since I won't be buying until probably December, do I need to go early in the month or later in the month to get the best price?

I assume later might be better but if they don't have the particular options I want then they would have to order it, right? If so would they really be as apt to come off the price?

Does jeep typically run any incentives (financing, etc?)?

I know it's a long way off but I want to have as much knowledge on this as possible before I contact anyone at the dealer.

Thanks
We currently don't have any idea when the 2018 model will be out nor if it will be the new body as FCA claims it will be but if it's any indication, 2017's came in around the summer side by side with the 2016's almost. Well, maybe like a week apart but still pretty damn close.

As always, I'll answer each question one by one in bullets.

-You can do this but I'm going to be honest, it's probably going to be hard to get someone to take you seriously over e-mail and harder to find your exact equipment list. Make a list of must have options as well as wants and prepare to be flexible. We order them how people USUALLY like them and we don't always do the best job because, well, everyone is different.

- There is always wiggle room, but not by as much as people think. There's usually about $1800 in profit between sticker price and invoice. Dealers rarely go beyond invoice on wranglers if at all. Wranglers are currently very, very hard to keep in stock and dealers know this so they may not be as willing to negotiate on a wrangler as they would be on a Durango.

- We're always happier to sell you a car on our lot, so you very well may have a better shot taking what is in stock rather than doing a factory order, but either way, they still cost us the same to buy, provided the MSRP is identical.

- Jeep currently has NO incentives on wranglers, both 2 and 4 door. Some dealers may have promotional APRs through Chrysler Capital, but not very often and only on select terms if you're approved at tier 1.

- Make sure you do your research and if you find one that you like, jump on it if the price is right. The longer you wait, the less of a chance it'll be there tomorrow. Thats how it runs in NY at the moment, at least.

Good luck, man and as always, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask away.

post #52 of 62 Old 01-26-2017, 08:19 PM
number41

Thanks a lot for the reply.

You mean the 2016 and 2017s came out summer of 2016?

I just noticed on the jeep website you can customize one and search dealers near you that have all/most of your options. I see a few that have a lot so I'm reasonably confident I can get most of what I want.

With that said, one dealer is ~2 hours away. Would my best bet just be to call and talk to a random sales person or are there still special internet salesmen/women? I just can't drive that far woot knowing if they're willing to deal.

And if I go that route, with an in stock jeep, would I get a better deal if I go the last few days of December?

Another question that's not high priority but something I'd like to know. Do you know if the lower end radios can be swapped out easily with aftermarket pioneer/alpine/etc headunits? I would want to retain steering wheel controls.
The Sirius radio is an extra 220. Can that be removed? I do have it in another vehicle so I'd just try to add it to that or do without.
I appreciate your time.
post #53 of 62 Old 01-27-2017, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
nyguesswho
2016 MK Compass 

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the reply.

You mean the 2016 and 2017s came out summer of 2016?

I just noticed on the jeep website you can customize one and search dealers near you that have all/most of your options. I see a few that have a lot so I'm reasonably confident I can get most of what I want.

With that said, one dealer is ~2 hours away. Would my best bet just be to call and talk to a random sales person or are there still special internet salesmen/women? I just can't drive that far woot knowing if they're willing to deal.

And if I go that route, with an in stock jeep, would I get a better deal if I go the last few days of December?

Another question that's not high priority but something I'd like to know. Do you know if the lower end radios can be swapped out easily with aftermarket pioneer/alpine/etc headunits? I would want to retain steering wheel controls.
The Sirius radio is an extra 220. Can that be removed? I do have it in another vehicle so I'd just try to add it to that or do without.
I appreciate your time.
Yeah the 2016 were out and still coming in transit and the 2017 just were released at the time. The locate feature can be valuable but keep in mind it will probably not be an accurate inventory. If you find one, then call the dealership and maybe sure they have it in stock, you very well be able to do a lot of the work over the phone, also.
If you go that route, you might not see any real better deal in December because they don't attach any year end incentives to a wrangler from the factory. The dealership, however, may want to move more inventory to make a quota, perhaps.
Lastly, I know Clarion makes a pretty good head unit for wranglers that actually have the back up camera option. The clarion units, I hear, are very hard to install especially for the camera, but in general, the head unit shouldn't be any harder to install on a wrangler than any other car. A lot of radios have the option for steering wheel mounted control integration right from the box, but make sure to do the research on the unit before you go ahead and get it. The Clarion deff works with the wheel controls.
To answer the SiriusXM question, I believe you are required to have the option from the factory, especially with the Radio 430 (touch screen) but I'm not entirely sure if that proves true for the Radio 130 (standard CD player radio). I would guess off the top of my head that in a sport s or higher trim, it would be mandatory.
Keep in mind either way, you are entitiled to your free year of SiriusXM as long as whatever radio you have in capable and its fairly easy to transfer that year trail over towards your new radio.

Good luck and keep the good questions coming!

post #54 of 62 Old 01-27-2017, 06:30 PM
number41

THanks. So, is straight out calling them better than filling out their form to get an "eprice"? I just remember dealing with 2 other purchases (not jeeps) I dealt with their internet dept. Not sure it was much different than regular sales but it sure seemed smoother.

December is locked down for me due to another car payment. When the wife's van is paid off, it's my turn. I'll keep eyeing inventory around that time to make sure they have something I like.

About the stereo, is the Alpine subwoofer system pretty good?

I wasn't sure if just going with a basic option would be better as long as I would be able to swap out the headunit. I assume they all have the same footprint in the dash????
I was thinking the 220 for Sirius was for the service. I guess it's for the equipment/tuner?

Thanks for your time.
post #55 of 62 Old 01-27-2017, 07:01 PM
Kev M
2012 WK 

Number, it really depends on where you're located.

When we bought our WK2 (Grand Cherokee Limited) we emailed and got such a good price we didn't pursue more aggressive negotiations.

On my JKU I joined Tread Lightly ($100 level) and got an affiliate code for 1% under invoice so my loaded $42k JKU Sahara that I ordered turned out to be ~$38k.

You can easily do the same with such lead time.

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
post #56 of 62 Old 01-28-2017, 11:24 AM
czeelske

2017 Jeep Cherokee

Hey! Few questions on the new Cherokees:

In the process of shopping for a 2017 Jeep Cherokee.

Is there a big difference between the Sport and the Latitude?

I was also told the Latitude has a mercedes benz engine is this correct?

How low can I get the dealer to go for the price?

Did they fix the transmission issues in the 2017? I know 2014 had a lot of problems with the transmission.

Thanks!!
post #57 of 62 Old 01-31-2017, 04:00 PM
cdenecke
2016 WK 

Garage
I have a line on a 2016 JGC Diesel Summit 4X4 with 10K miles for $47K. My 2016 book state that Quadra Drive II and trailer tow group IV are standard on the diesel 4X4. An Chrysler executive car. Does this sound like a good deal? It seems like the only option for this vehicle would be an entertainment system on the seat back - which I have no interest in.

Chuck Denecke
2016 JGC Diesel Summit
post #58 of 62 Old 02-01-2017, 08:59 AM
number41

How does dealer inventory affect price? IOW, say dealer 1 has 60 Wrangler Unlimiteds in stock whereas dealer 2 has 15. They both have pretty much identical models that you like. Dealer 1 is in a larger city.

There are probably other factors involved, just curious if inventory plays a big role.
post #59 of 62 Old 02-02-2017, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
nyguesswho
2016 MK Compass 

Quote:
How does dealer inventory affect price? IOW, say dealer 1 has 60 Wrangler Unlimiteds in stock whereas dealer 2 has 15. They both have pretty much identical models that you like. Dealer 1 is in a larger city.

There are probably other factors involved, just curious if inventory plays a big role.
Inventory usually does play a role, but again to reiterate, wranglers are ALWAYS hot commodities, depending on location, they are very, very hard to keep in stock. Do your best to negotiate a deal, but there's always variables involved and each dealer is going to have a different idea of what they can do with them. For your example, dealer 1 may have a better shot at making a better deal because they are a larger volume dealership but they also have a larger over head.

post #60 of 62 Old 02-02-2017, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
nyguesswho
2016 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdenecke View Post
I have a line on a 2016 JGC Diesel Summit 4X4 with 10K miles for $47K. My 2016 book state that Quadra Drive II and trailer tow group IV are standard on the diesel 4X4. An Chrysler executive car. Does this sound like a good deal? It seems like the only option for this vehicle would be an entertainment system on the seat back - which I have no interest in.
Not a bad deal, hard to tell these days though because last I checked, all passenger diesels are on hold as per the EPA until they're done investigating every auto maker after the whole VW scandal. And yes, to answer your question, there aren't really many options to add to a summit besides the engine choices.
Always check competitors and book value to confirm a fair price.

Tags
compass , jeep , jk , unlimited , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in