I work for the busiest Jeep store in the world - ask me anything - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 62 Old 12-20-2016, 05:22 PM
w6pea

2019 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyguesswho View Post
Alright, so I'll break this down by each trim level, hopefully this'll help :

Trailhawk : This is Jeeps answer to our off road ready 4X4 Mid to full sized SUVs of yester-year. What you get here is the Quadra-Drive II 4X4 system, which also utilizes the Quadra-Trac II system found on the Grand Cherokee Limited. You'll get a decent amount of options standard such as the 9 speaker audio system, a special "Trailhawk" leather trim, remote start, heated and ventilated front seats, back up camera and the Quadra-Lift air suspension system, which is really cool for the adjustable ride height. It's almost like an overland, but with the decals, red tow hooks and a flair for the dramatic. You also get unique "off road" 18" rims. MSRP for Trailhawk qwith GPS, Blind spot and Power Roof will run ya $46,130 (MSRP excluding incentives, of course) with the 3.6L V6.

Limited 75th anniversary edition : It's a limited with an appearance package, essentially. Quadra-Trac II 4X$ system (no Quadra-Lift), leather, heated seats, heated wheel, Uconnect 8.4 touch screen radio, those 20" rim you were talking about as well as a basic set of special 75th edition badges (SINCE 1941) and bronze stitching. You can opt for a 75th anniversary luxury group which gives you Panoramic roof, power tilt/telescopic steering wheel, LED running lights, LED fog lights, Ventilated seats, HID head lamps, 9 speaker 506 watt sound system and rain sense wipers. With that package I just described included as well as navigation will run you $47,150 MSRP, again, excluding any incentives you qualify for. Thats for a 3.6L pentastar.

Summit : Top of the line as far as luxury is concerned. Basically everything I mentioned above, Quadra-Drive II and Quadra-Lift, NAV standard, ect. What you also get as standard, not included in other trims would be Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop (can pre set distance to keep from car ahead of you, brake in emergency and can be resumed from a complete stop as long as traffic is moving, automatically), Lane departure warning (will mitigate when your vehicle unexpectedly crossed over a lane without a signal on and without specific driver input) and the very, very cool Parallel and perpendicular park assist (where the car kind of parks itself, provided you control the pedals and shifter. You also get this unique wood trim interior. You can see these guys with a V8 Hemi or diesel close to $60,000 MSRP.

Notice I didn't really give much info about this diesel because...well, this is the US and no one really stocks many of them. The eco diesel is not that popular here, in the North East at least. The fuel economy is great, but keep in mind they are very front heavy and you will notice a difference in handling vs the gas engine options. I recommend you drive both set ups before you commit to the diesel. The PentaStar 3.6L V6 is an amazing base motor in its own right : it's plenty powerful and not to shabby in the fuel economy department. If you do deicide to opt for the low octane, keep in mind you're probably going to have to factory order one with an expected 6-10 week turn over depending where you live.

As far as the skid plates are concerned, I believe the only set up that gets them would be the trailhawk. I never noticed them listed on a build sheet before.

It really boils down to what you can afford and what you're doing with it. They are all fairly comparable trims but you need to decide if you need something fairly practical with luxury (Limited), something flashy with a bit more off road kick (Trailhawk) or fully lux'd out (Summit).

I hope all that help out a bit, if you want a little more info on the trim levels, check out edmunds.com. They have very, albeit heavily biased, comprehensive reviews that will list all the trims and options fairly straight forward. Good luck to you and if you have any more questions that I may help with, feel free to PM me.
Here is what I got off the build sheet.

Model 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD 4dr High Altitude
Here is the Model Code for my JGC. WKJS74

Vehicle Name Jeep Grand Cherokee Body Style Sport Utility Drivetrain Four Wheel Drive Classification Standard Sport Utility Vehicles 4WD

My Jeep has the The PentaStar 3.6L V6, So what is the difference between the Overland and the Summit?

"Without Trucks & Truck Driver's America Stops!"
"There's too much Blood in my Caffeine System"
."Semper Fi"
"Once A Marine Always A Marine"

2019 JGC 5.7L Hemi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 62 Old 12-20-2016, 06:21 PM
w6pea

2019 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
Welcome,. Not to de-rail the thread but there is news that Polaris plans to purchase 4 Wheel Parts. That is another jeep parts place.
I heard that also I wonder if it's true or just rumor?
Maybe if it's true they will replace the back stabbing thieves and con artists that work at the one buy my house.

I went in there and they treated me like I fell off a turnip truck. A $3000.00 estimate ti install a set of fog lamps and flood lamps. and a larger fuel tank on my Ram Truck. I will not go there for stuff for my Jeep.

."Semper Fi"

2019 JGC 5.7L Hemi
post #18 of 62 Old 12-21-2016, 05:36 AM
w6pea

2019 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by w6pea View Post
I heard that also I wonder if it's true or just rumor?
Maybe if it's true they will replace the back stabbing thieves and con artists that work at the one buy my house.

I went in there and they treated me like I fell off a turnip truck. A $3000.00 estimate to install a set of fog lamps and flood lamps. and a larger fuel tank on my Ram Truck. I will not go there for stuff for my Jeep.
The Parts would have been $1400.00 for the Titan Fuel Tank. $475.00 for a 28in Light Bar and $200.00 for two Flood Lamps. $2075.00 for parts the rest for recycling fee's and labor. That is not including state sales tax.

I don't think that the salesman wanted to do it. He said it would take 6 weeks to get the fuel tank from Titan. I called Titan and they said I could have the tank in 5 days.That was on a Friday afternoon, 2 of the days were Sat.& Sun. I went on Amazon and could get the tank in 3 days.

."Semper Fi"

2019 JGC 5.7L Hemi

post #19 of 62 Old 12-27-2016, 05:59 PM
cdenecke
2016 WK 

Garage
Thanks for the outline nyguesswho. I am making progress. I think I am down to the Trailhawk, with the Active Safety group that gets me the adaptive cruise control and the luxury package that has a bunch of features. The other option would be an Overland. The Summit is a tad to rich for me and don't see features that I really need or want. I see only a few feature differences between the loaded Trailhawk and the Overaland - Do I have this right?
nyguesswho likes this.
post #20 of 62 Old 12-27-2016, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
nyguesswho
2016 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by w6pea View Post
Here is what I got off the build sheet.

Model 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD 4dr High Altitude
Here is the Model Code for my JGC. WKJS74

Vehicle Name Jeep Grand Cherokee Body Style Sport Utility Drivetrain Four Wheel Drive Classification Standard Sport Utility Vehicles 4WD

My Jeep has the The PentaStar 3.6L V6, So what is the difference between the Overland and the Summit?
Hey, sorry for the wait for a reply, busy at work and all. The summit gives you essentially every option you could fit into an overland with the acoustic windshield. The exterior has a bit of a different package as well. All Grand Cherokee's come with a 3.6 L PentaStar, 5.7 HEMI is always optional. Hope this helps!

Keith G. - Westbury Jeep Sales Associate
post #21 of 62 Old 12-27-2016, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
nyguesswho
2016 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdenecke View Post
Thanks for the outline nyguesswho. I am making progress. I think I am down to the Trailhawk, with the Active Safety group that gets me the adaptive cruise control and the luxury package that has a bunch of features. The other option would be an Overland. The Summit is a tad to rich for me and don't see features that I really need or want. I see only a few feature differences between the loaded Trailhawk and the Overaland - Do I have this right?
Yeah, that's a fair assessment to make, honestly. You can option the hell out of a trail hawk to get your main features and options from an overland. Keep in mind,the suspention is going to be a tad different, even though we have the quadra lift in either and the interior/exterior will be radically different as well. Keep in mind, you should also research as to why a trail hawk is "Trail Rated". I think you'll be surprised. Cheers and good luck. And you're welcome, BTW, it's what I'm here for

post #22 of 62 Old 12-27-2016, 09:00 PM
cdenecke
2016 WK 

Garage
I can't private message yet since I am new to the forum. Can you provide a bit more on why a trail hawk is trail rated? I see that trail rated is tied to some standard of articulation, water capabilities, ground clearance and traction.

Chuck Denecke
2016 JGC Diesel Summit
post #23 of 62 Old 12-29-2016, 10:05 PM
sumyunguy

What does "high altitude" mean?
post #24 of 62 Old 01-02-2017, 11:18 AM
cdenecke
2016 WK 

Garage
I am now leaning heavily toward an Overland. I want to have a Trailhawk life but I am not there yet. I do too much highway driving to have a vehicle with that kind of off road abilities. I am not in a hurry and willing to wait to see if the diesel option sorts itself out. In the mean time, I will test drive a few and continue reading up on the 2017 models.
post #25 of 62 Old 01-02-2017, 07:11 PM
SecondTJ
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumyunguy View Post
i.e. Colorado

Current: 2017 JK Unlimited Rubicon

Gone - 1998 TJ Sport, 2000 TJ Sport, 1987 YJ, 1997 TJ SE, 1998 XJ Sport
post #26 of 62 Old 01-03-2017, 03:40 PM
supermopar

I am looking for a wrangler unlimited from a dealer in the next 90 days and i would really appreciate any and all advice/ help you could give, with the following criteria in mind:

-i am going to buy a NEW 2016 or 2017 unlimited
-4X4, 3.6L
-black in color
-automatic transmission (the wife cant drive a manual transmission, otherwise an automatic trany in a wrangler is just blasphemy)
-this will be a semi- family jeep, and my daily driver
-I have a wife, 2 kids and 2 80lb dogs that will be riding in the wrangler on road trips with me
-I have "built" the new wrangler unlimited on the official jeep site about 1000 times and i really am partial to the WILLY's trim
-What are the key differences among the Sahara, the Willy's and Rubicon trims?
- Are there any key things to be aware of and watch out for while shopping at the dealership for the new wrangler?

my apologies for all the questions, but i know there are a lot of technically savvy mechanics and jeep experts within this community and I REALLY appreciate any and all comments!!

R.I.P. YJ 2.5L Wrangler
post #27 of 62 Old 01-03-2017, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
nyguesswho
2016 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumyunguy View Post
An Altitude/High altitude is a package that typically gives you the ability to have some equipment/options that otherwise would only be available with a higher trim level. A prime example would be the Compass, which used to have a LIMITED trim level which has since been discontinued for the current MK generation (there's a new model coming out in the spring, watch out for it, it's going to be sick.) but it would have leather, remote start, heated seats, ect. A High Altitude gives either the ability to have some of those options as standard equipment or the ability to option the car to have some of the options available. Another prime example is the Grand Cherokee altitude, which lets you have the UConnect 8.4, upgraded rims, remote start, heated seats, ect while still being a laredo in terms of 4X4 system (Quadra-Drive I) and no leather as a limited would have.

post #28 of 62 Old 01-03-2017, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
nyguesswho
2016 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdenecke View Post
I am now leaning heavily toward an Overland. I want to have a Trailhawk life but I am not there yet. I do too much highway driving to have a vehicle with that kind of off road abilities. I am not in a hurry and willing to wait to see if the diesel option sorts itself out. In the mean time, I will test drive a few and continue reading up on the 2017 models.
Don't concentrate too much on the trailhawk designation. Trailed rated (to answer your previous question) does have to do with ground clearance as well as the ability to water ford to a certain degree, but keep in mind Qudra-Drive II as well as the Quadra-Lift system can absolutely assist in most normal off road situations. There are plenty of guys who do serious off roading here on the forums, but let be honest - the vast majority of us aren't traversing mountains or crossing the rubicon.

My point is find a truck that works within your budget and one you fall in love with. If you're lucky, they'll be one in the same. A trailhawk isn't going to necessarily be a very rough ride, but it's all about how you feel about the way it handles vs your other options. When you get closer to the time when you're going to buy then I recommend you go out and drive everything you can. Hell, if you live in NY you can stop by over here and I'd be more than happy to show you a few. Your key to buying the perfect Jeep for you is a serious evaluation of both your driving preferences as well as finding a patient, knowledgeable salesman.

Good luck, man. I'm sure it'll work out. Just don't let anyone steer you in any direction you weren't considering before.

post #29 of 62 Old 01-03-2017, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
nyguesswho
2016 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermopar View Post
I am looking for a wrangler unlimited from a dealer in the next 90 days and i would really appreciate any and all advice/ help you could give, with the following criteria in mind:

-i am going to buy a NEW 2016 or 2017 unlimited
-4X4, 3.6L
-black in color
-automatic transmission (the wife cant drive a manual transmission, otherwise an automatic trany in a wrangler is just blasphemy)
-this will be a semi- family jeep, and my daily driver
-I have a wife, 2 kids and 2 80lb dogs that will be riding in the wrangler on road trips with me
-I have "built" the new wrangler unlimited on the official jeep site about 1000 times and i really am partial to the WILLY's trim
-What are the key differences among the Sahara, the Willy's and Rubicon trims?
- Are there any key things to be aware of and watch out for while shopping at the dealership for the new wrangler?

my apologies for all the questions, but i know there are a lot of technically savvy mechanics and jeep experts within this community and I REALLY appreciate any and all comments!!
Don't apologize, it's what I do - answer questions. I just usually get paid for it, thats all XD.

Here, I'm going to answer your bullets with more bullets :

- It's going to be very hard to find any 2016 left over and since there are no additional incentives on either, you may find that a 2017 leases out much, much better than a 2017 because its projected resale value (residual) is higher.

- All Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited models currently are offered with both the 4X4 system and 3.6L PentaStar V6 as standard equipment.

- Black is always an option unless the dealer doesn't have any in inventory - then a factory order can take up to 10 weeks if you want a custom built one.

- If a package code starts with a "23" on a wrangler, it's a manual. If it starts with a "24" on a wrangler, then it's an automatic. (Example : "24S" is a Sport S automatic, a "23W" is a 6 speed Stick Willys Wheeler.)

- Deff go with the Unlimited if you have a family/kids/dogs. The interior room isn't even comparable vs the 2 door.

- There are 3 trims : Sport, Sahara and Rubicon. With that being said, there are several subtrims and the sport has most of them. There's The Sport S (which is the most common set up), The Willys Wheeler, Freedom Edition, Black Bear, ect. Willys wheeler is just an aesthetic package, really but keeps it "vintage" while retaining some modern equipment. For example, you'll always see roll down windows on them, but can opt for the Radio 430 with the touch screen/hard drive.

- Sport : 17" Rims, cloth, options can include Radio 430, auto transmission, hard top, dual top, connectivity group, power convenience group. Sahara : 18" rims, body color fenders, kind of the "pretty boy" edition (I think I'm going to get hate mail for that comment, but you get what I mean, right fellas?) if you will. Typically equipped with leather, heated seats, navigation, remote start, ect. Rubicon : 4:1 Rock-Trac 4X4 system, can get leather, heated seats, nav, ect just like on the Sahara but we get the all terrain tires as well as both front and rear Dana 44 axles 3.73 gearing (as opposed to the standard dana 44 rear, dana 30 front solid, 3.21 gears) as well as some pretty sweet decals and the unique rubicon hood.

- What to look out for? Hmm, that's a great question with a vague answer, I'm afraid. Be careful with the salesman, of course, but don't go in there ready for war. Understand he is literally there to help the dealership sell a car as well as find a car for YOU. As the expression goes, you get more with honey than with vinegar or whatever. Remember, these are the guys who also have to make sure your car is perfect and ready to go both physically as well as legally. Try to get a deal, of course, just don't assume if you act like a mad man, you're somehow getting a better deal. There is no greater frustration than to see this kind of M.O. circulate, that somehow if you act like a jerk, you're going to get the best possible deal.

- Also, be careful with your timing. Sometime, it's very very hard to keep these units in stock. You may have to order one or simply cope with whatever is in stock. Also, if you love the dealership and the salesman they will be able to locate the vehicle you want as from another dealers inventory.

Hope this helps!

post #30 of 62 Old 01-03-2017, 09:25 PM

Just thought I would help out a little, I deal with several first time Jeep buyers and we have a few rated trails - up to 9 - within a short drive of us. If your never intending to get the tires muddy then that is what to look at first when considering which package to get. Rubicon tires wearing out on the highway are FAR from cheap.

Tags
compass , jeep , jk , unlimited , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in