I got the Jeep bug. Looking for a LJ. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 06-28-2020, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Jv106

I got the Jeep bug. Looking for a LJ.

I’ve never owned a Jeep and haven’t spent much time at all in one. I more or less have my heart set on a LJ. This all started when I was selling my Harley, I mentioned in my ad that I would trade for a side by side. I had a guy reply with an offer to trade his CJ5 renegade. I started thinking about it and I knew my kids would love riding with the top off and it could act as my side by side. Long story short the guy didn’t have the title so I didn’t do the trade but now I really want a Jeep.

I have a vision in my head of buying a couple jet skis and using the Jeep to pull them down to the lake. Launch them off a beach. I like the LJ because I believe it has a higher towing capacity, it’s modern enough (fuel injected, A/C) but still seems simple enough.

Here’s my questions...
-Is there a better model for my goals?
-Can I fit car seats/booster seats in the back of the LJ?
-I’m in Dallas area, there are several LJ’s for sale around here what should I look for when inspecting?
-Any other input welcomed.

TIA!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-30-2020, 06:33 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

When you say LJ, we assume you mean a LJ/TJ, or also called a TJ Unlimited, only available 2004-2006. You are correct in a LJ having more room, better for towing, 4.0, D44 rear with limited slip 3.73 gears. All a good thing.

I'm in Denton county just north of you. When I bought my TJ years ago, I went and looked at and test drive as many as I could all over the metroplex, even ones I knew I didn't want. This is the best way to educate yourself. One of the biggest problems is RUST. Luckily here, it's not as bad as up north or around the coast.

It can be a daunting task, I had specifics I wanted and didn't want. I looked for 4 months and ended up going 6 states and 1100 miles to get my TJ.

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #3 of 13 Old 06-30-2020, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Jv106

By LJ I mean 04-06 wrangler unlimited. I’ve never owned a Jeep but I’ve turned plenty of wrenches on hotrods and 4x4’s.

I’m looking forward to the Jeep life.

post #4 of 13 Old 07-01-2020, 10:36 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, a TJ Unlimited, or also referred as a LJ. Like I said above, go educate yourself. Do some research, I believe the 05-06 had more PCM (computer) problems, especially with auto trans, and other issues too like opda, oil pump drive assembly problems.

I've had my '02 TJ for almost 13 years now. My primary vehicle is a F150. My TJ came with full doors and a full soft top. I soon learned living here in Texas, I enjoyed the, almost, year round open air driving. I got a pair of half doors and a bikini top. Been this way for the last 10 years. The full doors and soft top haven't been on since. I also got a manual trans vs the auto for the added experience, but that's just me.
Attached Images

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #5 of 13 Old 07-01-2020, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Jv106

Very nice! I would definitely prefer a manual over an auto. It does look like the manuals are harder to come by though.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-02-2020, 05:02 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

If you're set on an LJ then yes, a manual transmission will be harder to come by. The LJ was only made with the auto for the '04 model, while during the '05 and '06 model production there were roughly three automatics made for every two manuals. When considering total LJ production, there were roughly 7 automatics made for every 3 manuals. The TJ tends to follow the opposite of this trend with the manual being more prevalent.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #7 of 13 Old 07-03-2020, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Jv106

Is there another model that you guys would recommend? Maybe a 4 door?
post #8 of 13 Old 07-03-2020, 06:23 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

If you're willing to "move up" in model, next generation Wrangler, 2007-2018, sure you can go with a JK unlimited, which is a 4 door. Many here believe the 2012 and later models are better due to the v6 engine being better.

07-11s have a 3.8v6. 12-18s have a 3.6v6.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #9 of 13 Old 07-22-2020, 11:00 AM
FunkSkunk
Sold my soul to JeepForum

1992 YJ Wrangler 

JV, did you find your LJ?? Anyupdates, I'm back in the hunt for an LJ after selling my YJ about 7 years ago. I found a rebuilt title LJ Rubi near me that I may pull the trigger on. I'm looking for the same reasons, two kids, need more space, mild wheeling, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-22-2020, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Jv106

No updates on my end. I keep looking but haven’t found “the one”.
post #11 of 13 Old 07-23-2020, 08:25 AM
miker_jeep

Keep us posted
post #12 of 13 Old 07-23-2020, 10:13 AM
jcarbs

JV, earlier you mentioned car seats, are any of them rear facing? My second Jeep was a '14 JK unlimited with 4 doors. I learned the hard way most rear facing car seats take up a lot of room and make driving uncomfortable. Eventually traded it in. Now that my grand kids are in front facing car seats, I recently purchased a 2010 JK and they love riding around with the top off. When you take a Jeep out for a test drive, ask them if you can put the car seats in the vehicle to see how it would affect you driving.
post #13 of 13 Old 07-23-2020, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Jv106

My youngest is still rear facing. Me and my boys aren’t little people so if he’s like his brother he’ll be turned around in 6 months or so. I completely understand what you’re saying, the rear facing car seat cramps me in my wife’s Tahoe so I’m sure it’s rough in a Jeep.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in