Gladiator auto or manual? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-14-2019, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Sruss915

Gladiator auto or manual?

I am in the process of getting into a jeep gladiator but ive hit a snag. They ony allow you to get 4.10 gears in the sport with an automatic and i really wanted to get a manual. My big question is would the automatic be a smarter option with the max tow package? The max tow gives you the slightly wider track 44 in front and rear with 4.10's, 250amp alternator and a better trans cooler along with the automatic. The manual 6 speed comes the standard 44 front and rear but 3.73 gears with optional limited slip. This rig will be used for modest offroading and camping with some wheeling up in Timberon. I just wondered which one will fit the bill? I eventually want to supercharge or turbo as well and curious which transmission would be a better combo and handle the extra power?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-16-2019, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Sruss915

No one has any input on this ?
post #3 of 8 Old 04-16-2019, 08:53 PM
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

I used to be a die-hard manual guy but modern technology has pushed automatics to entirely new performance levels nowadays.

***Chris***

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old 04-16-2019, 09:08 PM
wildbill23c
1998 ZJ 

As much as I like the manual transmissions, if you are going to be doing a lot of heavier towing get the automatic. If you aren't going to do much heavy towing I'd get the manual. The clutch gets the largest initial shock trying to get a load moving and if you aren't careful of course you can quickly burn up the clutch. The automatic eliminates that initial shock with the torque converter and internal clutches which are bathed in oil keeping them cooler than a clutch on a manual transmission. Don't get me wrong a manual transmission is far more fun in regular driving and more reliable but when towing an automatic just takes the shifting issues out of the equation, on the other hand towing in the mountains a manual transmission is a huge help on saving brakes as you can keep a lower gear to avoid excessive brake usage.

Its really a very hard choice, but I wonder what the difference really is between the regular tow package and max tow package? 3.73's or 4.10's will both do fine for towing, I think you can get limited slip with either axle course there's always an aftermarket solution to give the 4.10's and limited slip if you want/need it. The heavy duty engine cooling maybe the largest reason to go automatic, but again aftermarket would be an option too. Biggest thing with towing is keeping the automatic transmission cool regardless of the vehicle so unless it has an auxiliary transmission cooler adding one would be a must. The max tow package really doesn't offer anything spectacular
post #5 of 8 Old 04-17-2019, 09:24 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

I'm at the point in my life where the auto is just a better fit. Wheeling with an auto is really nice and driving in traffic, it's a must.

I love a stick, had many when I was younger but today's autos are just so much better. The 8 speed is a really nice addition. I wish my JK had the 8 speed like momma's WK2 has.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #6 of 8 Old 04-17-2019, 01:02 PM
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

If the rig is primarily used for rockcrawling and towing then I’d go with the auto. Gear ratio can be easily changed to suit your needs. If you go with larger tires then you’ll need to regear anyways.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-08-2019, 05:50 PM
Kev M
2012 WK 

I've got a 2016 JKU that I ordered with the 6-spd / Trac-lok LSD rear. I love it and I've always enjoyed manuals. Hell my wife's WK2 is only the 2nd auto we've had in 15+ years (and a good 8-9 cars/trucks).

But the box is sloppy, the shifter bushing has been replaced twice under warranty/recall, the throw out linkage is creaky and I'm wondering when it will fail, and I suspect off-road in deep sand as I use it is sometimes tough on the clutch.

So if I were to buy again I think I'd go auto. I get the impression it would be not only be a better performer (both from a power and economy standpoint), but more durable. Especially in a truck!

That said I still love my JKU.

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
post #8 of 8 Old 05-15-2019, 12:26 AM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

If the maximum tow package/rating is important to you, be aware it's only available with the 8sp auto trans.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in