2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bryan2269
  • 1 Post By gspfunk

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 06-10-2020, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Bryan2269

1998 ZJ 

Which GC powertrain to select also vs gladiator

Hey, guys so I’m doing new car buying for my mother. She’s been loyal to Jeep for over 12 years. Her 04, 4.7L GC is beginning to show its age, including to the point of (just empty every pocket). So finally we are car shopping. We’ve test drove a whole array of variants. We’ve narrowed it down to the trail hawk. Her mandatory features Are sun/moonroof, tow package, and cold weather group. Initially she thought the 3.6L wasn’t going to be sufficient I informed her it was and V6’s have came a long ways. She was happy with the power. 3.6L pentastar over 10 million units have been produced and will be on the next gen WL, ask me how I know. So parts availability isn’t a concern.
However, at times she moves frequently and wonder if the Hemi would suffice, for towing capability. The only thing is I want her to get something with better mpg. I know from people with personal use of the 5.7L they’ve gotten 25mpg. However, her current WJ gets that on occasion too.
Now, when test driving vehicles we were offered a 18’ GC trail hawk diesel, bright red. My favorite color including my moms on the WK2. She likes the idea of the better mpg, towing, and the torque. However, I’m not entirely sure of our (FCA) second gen eco diesel.
Personally, if I owned it I would do the complete delete on it. For my mom doing def, she goes between Colorado, WY, and ID for work. So the car will see highway miles, but at the same time when she’s at a location her commute to work is only maybe 4 miles round trip.
The last vehicle she drove was a JT sport with a sufficient sum of options, but man 47k is steep. I can get her over 10k on discounts/rebates on what Jeep is offering. I’m an engineer for FCA that’s why. Still after taxes ID(6%) it’s still nearly a 40k vehicle. Outside of that she loved that car too.
I’ve also read to stay away from the 15’ model year of the WK2 because of the trans is that true? We’ve been primarily looking at a 17-18. We found a black one altitude with air ride and every feature you can imagine. It’s a 15’ 40k miles, but black. I can’t stand black as a daily.
So after my novel, I want your input on powertrain selection. I know the 3.6 and 5.7 are tried and true and more simple. However the VM 3.0 eco diesel is enticing. I’m looking forward of your thoughts. Last thing the car is registered in an area where emissions don’t matter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-10-2020, 10:30 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

What is she towing? That is going to dictate which drivetrain.

The Pentastar with the 8 speed will tow just fine smaller trailers. I have used ours for about 3K pounds in the mountains and it was just fine. If she is towing a heavier trailer, go with the oil burner. The 3.0L VM diesel is a decent motor and the earlier teething problems have been resolved. It will be more expensive to maintain but it has the torque and it also has the true ZF 8 speed transmission.

Nothing wrong with the hemi either but for long distance hauling with a 5-7K pound load, I would get the oil burner.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #3 of 10 Old 06-11-2020, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Bryan2269

1998 ZJ 

Yeah it will be uhaul trailers I would assume ranging from 3-5k pounds with her stuff inside of course. One year she put on 30k miles on her jeep WJ from going back and forth between ID and WA to WY and CO. She goes up the passes between Jackson, WY and Victor, ID including the big passes up Whitebird grade, ID and Lewiston, ID. That woman can drive. However, the biggest move her jeep got towed behind one of those big Uhaul trucks. That's why I was considering VM diesel. If it led to that decision I'm not sure if going with a GDE tune followed by the EGR delete/DEF tank removal would be a good move to keep things simple. Granted I would do that if I owned the thing. However, max reliability and maintenance would be ideal for her. Her cars at points will either go through a lot of miles one year and others just small town commutes. I'm not sure how that VM will handle the small town commutes, I haven't talked to any of the diesel calibration engineers and their thoughts. I just like getting thoughts from customers and people with actual experience vs us in a lab and what suppliers tell us. Not that we don't put millions of miles on our products and do data analysis on stuff.

post #4 of 10 Old 06-12-2020, 03:26 PM
Kev M
2012 WK 

If she doesn't tow more than once a year or so and winds up with uber short commutes at times then the oil burner isn't going to be worth it in the long haul.

I say V6 will be fine.

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
post #5 of 10 Old 06-21-2020, 03:28 AM
hokexe7236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M View Post
If she doesn't tow more than once a year or so and winds up with uber short commutes at times then the oil burner isn't going to be worth it in the long haul.

I say V6 will be fine.
agree

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-26-2020, 10:26 AM
gspfunk

2019 WK 

Garage
I prefer the Hemi, but we’ve had fast vehicles for the past decade. I drove the V6, and while it was more than adequate, I still preferred the power of the Hemi. As mentioned, she’ll likely be fine with the V6. I love our Trailhawk. The blacked out trim and SRT seats pushed me over the edge when comparing to other trims.

19 Sting-Gray WK2 Trailhawk | Hemi | MRR | Ridge Grapplers
08 Silver WK1 SRT8
post #7 of 10 Old 06-26-2020, 11:21 AM
Kev M
2012 WK 

Even my slowest motorcycles are still faster than a hemi WK2 and let's not even talk about handling. I guess I'm not feeling the need for speed with a Jeep.

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
post #8 of 10 Old 06-27-2020, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Bryan2269

1998 ZJ 

So we decided to save up for the new WL. It was supposed to be debut this month at the Detroit auto show. Still has some of same power trains as WK2, such as the 3.6L, 5.7L, and more I can not mention. She didn’t want to have car payments and typically keeps cars till the wheels fall off. Plus with my FCA employer discount should be able to snag the next gen trail hawk for a reasonable price. It will have a lot more features standard I know she’ll like and if something well breaks...I’m usually the one fixing stuff. Btw I have no idea when this thing will be unveiled now. Hopefully this year.
Kev M likes this.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-28-2020, 04:33 PM
gspfunk

2019 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M View Post
Even my slowest motorcycles are still faster than a hemi WK2 and let's not even talk about handling. I guess I'm not feeling the need for speed with a Jeep.
Any motorcycle to a vehicle is a horrible comparison. LOL. The 5.7 wasn’t designed to be fast and the airbag suspension is designed for comfort, not handling. The SRT would be a much better comparison, but would probably still lose to a bike.

My statement was just saying that I can feel the difference in power between the V6 and 5.7, so I opted for the 5.7. Sorry if I made it sound like I thought it was fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan2269 View Post
So we decided to save up for the new WL. It was supposed to be debut this month at the Detroit auto show. Still has some of same power trains as WK2, such as the 3.6L, 5.7L, and more I can not mention. She didn’t want to have car payments and typically keeps cars till the wheels fall off. Plus with my FCA employer discount should be able to snag the next gen trail hawk for a reasonable price. It will have a lot more features standard I know she’ll like and if something well breaks...I’m usually the one fixing stuff. Btw I have no idea when this thing will be unveiled now. Hopefully this year.
Nice! I’ve never been a fan of 1st year vehicles, and I was disappointed to learn the 5.7 has start/stop now too. Boo.
vbjeeper likes this.

19 Sting-Gray WK2 Trailhawk | Hemi | MRR | Ridge Grapplers
08 Silver WK1 SRT8
post #10 of 10 Old 07-07-2020, 06:00 PM
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspfunk View Post
Any motorcycle to a vehicle is a horrible comparison. LOL. The 5.7 wasn’t designed to be fast and the airbag suspension is designed for comfort, not handling. The SRT would be a much better comparison, but would probably still lose to a bike.

My statement was just saying that I can feel the difference in power between the V6 and 5.7, so I opted for the 5.7. Sorry if I made it sound like I thought it was fast.

Ha ha all good brother.

I was just defending my 180° from my college days (I'll never own a 4D vehicle, and always own a V8) lol.

Somewhere along the way I embraced the "slow" almost 300 how Pentastar so much we bought a second (JKU). IF, for some reason I want more, well then I hop on a bike (and even my bikes are generally "slow" compared to others).

It's all good.

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in