First Time Purchase - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 12-01-2018, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Chris Harlow

First Time Purchase

I am in the market to purchase my first Jeep. I have found two different models; 1970 CJ5 with Inline 4 and a 1991 YJ. The CJís motor has a bottom end knock in the motor and is missing the master cylinder. The seller wants $1800. The YJ for the most part is in decent shape. Havenít heard it run yet as the battery was dead. Looks like some of the wiring needs to be checked out, and some small cracks in the metal on the hood along with repairing the dash and some other cosmetic fixes. Not sure what engine or trans that it has, but the seller wants $5950.

I donít have any pics to show, but was wanting to know pros and cons of each.

I am leaning towards the YJ due to being 21 years newer if I can get the price to an acceptable. Question is, what should that price be.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-05-2018, 05:30 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe it's just me, but IF, and that's a big if, the bodies and frame are comparable condition, meaning rust, damage, etc, I'd probably go with the CJ. I don't know that 30 vs 50 years old make much difference.

The YJ is still almost 30 years old, and has more electronics, and may be subject to more inspection requirements.

The CJ is more of a classic, no electronics, and you can do a lot of work and repairs for the $4000 difference in price.

If you were standing on the corner and a YJ and a CJ rolled by, which would you think is cooler.

Now, I'm assuming each of these would be a project type, toy vehicle, and not expected to be a reliable daily driver, day in and day out.

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #3 of 3 Old 12-06-2018, 02:56 PM
HAZCAT

1984 CJ7 

You shouldn't have to deal with problematic emissions issues since you are in Texas. That is something for Cali Jeepers. 1992 and up are the YJs to get as they have the 4.0 high output motor. But 1991 isn't awful. I assume it is a 6cyl anyway. If the hood has cracks then it sounds like it has filler in it and newer paint so that could be an issue.

The CJ will not have a fully boxed frame in 1970 so if you want a serious off roader that is something that you have to consider. I love the CJ and they are classics and gaining in value. even a beater CJ at the store will get more "cool Jeep" shouts than a trick YJ or TJ most of the time. You may have to rebuild or replace more on the CJ but then again they are one step above a tractor so not that hard to deal with. You can swap in a different motor into either but the CJ has less wiring to splice or even deal with. I would look at the under side of both because rust and cracked frames are an issue to look at when buying. Big difference in the drive though. The '70 will probably have manual brakes and steering unless someone upgraded and it is about 10'' or more shorter wheelbase and you also have the hump in the door to get your butt over in the CJ5. If it has upgraded to a tilt wheel that isn't so bad. If you are a big guy that may be a deal breaker and you have to sit in one and get in and out to know for yourself on that one no matter what someone else says.

'84 CJ7, 44, 14 bolt, twin stick 300, 109"whl base, 4 linked
'93 XJ Cherokee
'70 CJ6 Dauntless v6

Tags
cj5 , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in