First time Jeep buyer - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 08-12-2019, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
vp75070

First time Jeep buyer

Hello, first time here and need buying advice. First time Jeep buyer. Looking to buy an old pre-2000 Jeep Cherokee because I like the old, boxy look and have heard a lot about the legendary long lasting engine and simple build. I really liked the look of the old Laredo with the chrome trim, and found a white 1988 with 90k miles for $5k, but will have to buy online sight unseen and get it shipped (extra $$). Looks great in pics and seems to be well maintained. Nothing has been replaced, all original parts. So was a bit concerned if anything will need to replaced soon in the next few months, was not sure when in terms of mileage things start needing to be repaired/replaced on older Jeeps. I also have some local options none as perfect as the Laredo, for around $3k and 150k or more miles, all basic XJs. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-12-2019, 09:25 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Well if it was my $. i would not buy it sight unseen. Rust is a big issue with these type Jeeps too. More over its a Uniframe/body. when they go its very expensive to work on them.

I would take my time looking. the right one will come to those that wait. I been through this last and this year finding the wifes Suv, not a jeep and is as well an older vehical. But tend to be rather expensive still. took near a year to find it and i took many road trips that were a waist of time as people tend to OVER state how good something is. Pics may tell a thousand words but they NEVER show the shades of grey, you cant see. we in end found in Utah the truck /suv that would do as good start. I would not worry to much about miles on a 4.0 if it was maintained well they can do 300k. Matter of fact Used i would rather see the miles and it maintained well. then a low mile High priced vehicle that will need just as much if not more work in then and all that value lost if you drove it. her rig had about 250k when we bought it. It had a new built trans( about 6k), new injectors(2500$ just for the parts) new turbo. new exhaust and many other parts. we paid what he put in it in the end 12.5k. its one hell of a truck too. paints good interior is good. was his wifes soccer moms 03 Excusrion 4x4 7.3(last year for the 7.3). No rust, none. was well worth the wait and the drive to Utah. Now it tows the jeep if we are not using the f250. I would take any of them across the usa. We gave up on new junk, we could by new but i would rather now just build what we need. pick a good year of any makers junk and just keep it running. I can get a 7.3 long block for like 6k new reman. Truck like this would be $100k today new. and be nothing but issues.

our Suv on its maiden tow to the Rubicon for our yearly run in the spring. thing did so well pulling 8k at 75mph up hill no issues. rolling coal and getting 13mpg towing.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-15-2019, 10:19 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

How far away us it? Do you have a friend or know anybody near where it is.?

I bought my TJ 6 states away, but had a friend go check it out first.

Do you know anybody that works for an airline, maybe can get you a cheap "buddy pass".

We had a 89 XJ in the family for several years, son bought it as his college vehicle and first few years of first job. No regrets, good vehicle.

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx

Tags
1988 , laredo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in