first jeep purchase 89 yj bad choice? Help :) - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 06-24-2016, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
haysanatar

first jeep purchase 89 yj bad choice? Help :)

I'm about to buy my first jeep, a 1989 yj with 230k miles, and I just want to make sure I'm not about to make a horrible decision. Any input or advice is definitely appreciated!
The original asking price was $3800 I have him down to $2700 cash.

The body is straight the only rust spots on the jeep are the fenders which do need to be replaced. The paint is pretty faded (who cares) and could use a new paint job (after the fenders are put on anyways..)
The body is perfectly straight it still has the original bumper and winch. The frame is straight and is rust free for the most part. The only place there is any rust is between the rear tire and back connection for the leaf spring. it has a small area of frame rot on both sides in that same location a quarter -half dollar size rusted hole but its solid around that area with no surface rust. Seats are worn(who cares) the tub is rust free and in great shape.

The engine is the 4.2l i6 with the original air cleaner and carb. The air intake accordion hose has pretty much degraded to the point 25% of it at the base is just open air flow. There does seem to be a vacuum leak and a small exhaust leak that should be an easy fix. Thankfully it has the ax-15 tranny and not the puegot. The engine idles decently well but not perfect (vaccum leak and air intake being just open almost???) when its up in rpms the engine sounds very solid and strong (no ticking lifter noise like the 4.0's I've heard) Transmission shifts into all gears fine and the 4x4 seems to engage as well with no issue. The engine ofcourse does appear to be leaking a little oil but I couldn't tell where from. One little oddity the guy seemed to have been running 100% antifreeze in the car... and I cant figure out why. Would a thicker antifreeze leak less if there was a blown gasket or could it be an over heating problem?

Any input would be great!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-24-2016, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
haysanatar

The two rust spots on the frame

Last edited by haysanatar; 06-24-2016 at 09:22 AM.

Tags
advice , first jeep , jeep , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in