Factory Settings Throw Off - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 11-23-2007, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
rock licker
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Factory Settings Throw Off

I just bought my first jeep! '99 Sahara, manual shift mostly all stock from what I can see. I live in some pretty rough country (badlands of SD) and want to put some 31's possibly and a 1 or 2 inch lift. The guy at the tire store said to "not mess with the stock set up because it will throw off the computer, the factory ride, the gears, the speedometer, lose power". Now I'm all confussed because I see almost every jeep lifted with big tires! Are all those jeeps messed up or was the tire guy just "one of those guys"?
I don't want to lose all that or have to get into changing everything just for the few changes I want.... will I have to do all that?
Any help would be great.
Thanks......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-23-2007, 12:45 PM
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

as for computers i wouldnt worry too much about that.

but putting bigger tires will throw off the spedo, if thats a big deal to you then you can easily fit it by throwing in a new spedo gear. the gear ratio will be a little off causing a slight loss of MPG and you will have a slight loss of power all as a result to the larger tires. now is this a big deal? i run 31's and none of the above mentioned are a problem to me so i would go ahead with it especially if its going to help with the terrain that you are frequent to.

-Kyle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's Not Just a Jeep, It's a Lifestyle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in