Differences between 1999 Limited and 2003 Overland - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 03-16-2019, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Earshel

Differences between 1999 Limited and 2003 Overland

Hello!

I purchased a 2003 Overland as my first Jeep about one month ago, and unfortunately, totaled the vehicle one week ago. During the brief three weeks that I owned it, I put a 2" spacer lift and new Bilstein 5100's on it, and I was seriously loving the way it was coming together. I've been trying to find a replacement, but they are few and far between in the condition and low mileage (112k) that the first one had.

I've come across this Craigslist post for a '99 Limited for $3975, and it seems to have most of the options that the '03 Overland had (things like the Up Country suspension group, diff/gas tank skid-plates, tow hooks). I'm hoping that somebody who is familiar with WJ's might be willing to take a look at it, and a) Let me know if it's a good deal and is a suitable replacement vehicle, and b) Explain any differences between the '99 and '03 QuadraDrive sytsem - I've done some reading, and it seems that the '99 has HydraLok diffs, while the '03 has VariLok, but I can't find much literature comparing the two.

Here are the two VIN's (can't post links since I have 0 posts or I'd post the build sheets.)

1J8GW68J53C523426 2003 Overland

1J4GW68N0XC725066 1999 Limited

Since I can't post the link to the Craigslist ad, I'll just say that it looks immaculate and only has 92k on it - visually, it is certainly a suitable replacement.

Thank you for any insight that you're able to offer!

Earshel

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-17-2019, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Earshel

Being new to the forum, I'm not sure how this works, but this thread doesn't show up unless I'm logged in. Viewing this forum in incognito mode, my thread is invisible. Did I mess up somehow when I posted it?
post #3 of 4 Old 03-17-2019, 03:09 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

No, you did it correctly, I can see your thread fine. Not sure why you can't.

Here's a link to the portion of the WJ "buyer's guide" FAQ that covers all the various t-cases they used over the years and what the differences are...there's a ton of good info in that thread to help you decide if it's the right one for you...
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310.../#post12259930

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion

post #4 of 4 Old 03-18-2019, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Earshel

Thanks for your comment, and for the information. That's so weird - I'm browsing from work right now, and it doesn't show up unless I log in, and even then, says that it has 0 replies. I'm glad you and other members can see it, though. I'll give that thread a good, thorough reading. Appreciate ya'!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in