Contemplating a 2018 Sahara - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By JDThird

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 08-22-2018, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
JDThird

Garage
Contemplating a 2018 Sahara

I'm not new to Jeeps, nor off roading, but my off roading days were back in the early 2000's (had a 99 WJ limited and an '01 WJ limited) and my more recent ones were the first version of the new Cherokee, a '14 and a '15 both limited models and just used for daily driving, never off road.

Since I only keep one car at a time, I've never seriously considered a Wrangler as a daily driver, just a bit rough for someone who wouldn't get off road that often.

But I heard all the murmurs lately from people saying the 2018's were far better as daily drivers, and I went and took one for a ride today, and was floored at how different it felt than Wranglers I've driven in the past...

And since I'm not a purist who has this long history with the Wrangler, and I like technology, I'm not offended to find the large 8" nav screen on the dash nor any of the other conveniences. They make it possible for me to buy one, since without them, using it as a daily driver as well as a summer time fun toy wouldn't be feasible.

Right before I drove the Wrangler, I took a new 2019 Cherokee limited out for a spin, and no surprise, it felt pretty identical to the two other Cherokees i had in the last few years. But what i loved was that I got out of the Cherokee limited, had the Wrangler keys handed to me as soon as I exited, got in the Wrangler, and drove it off. So I had the immediate comparison I could do since they were back to back rides, much of the same roads...

I just can't get over how this Wrangler felt. Definitely looking at daily driver possibility here, and this DESPITE the fact that there was some HUGE box in the back that didn't let me adjust my seat right, so it wasn't anywhere near the position I'd really drive in. And in spite of that, I *still* liked the ride... Loved the position of the top edge of the door for my left arm to rest on, the position and height of the center console to rest my right arm on, everything was just comfortable...

16 new cars in the last 23 years. All but one had leather. Usually that was due to me wanting heated seats (I live in Wisconsin), and usually that was only possible with leather in the past. But leather in my convertibles was a pain, always had to have a towel to lay on the seat, so I wouldn't burn when I sat down. So I'd foresee the same issue here with the top panels off or the top removed completely. But the 2018's offer heated seats with cloth seats as well... Anyone have any reason that someone would just have to have leather? Or would the cloth seats be fine? I'd like the cloth option since while it will still get hot in the sun, sitting on hot cloth seats has never been nearly as bad for me as sitting on hot leather seats...

My teenage son has started to get to the point where he wants to try camping. We visited a friend up north while he was camping in his big trailer camper earlier this month, but my son is interested in doing it with tents, so I know I'll be able to spend some time up north camping, the jeep just seems like a fun fit for that, especially since our family has countless acres of land up in upper Michigan where we can get back in fields and forests since we own the land...

It just seems that on top of a daily driver, I finally have some options that would make owning a Wrangler at least be a little justified, I wouldn't make it sit on pavement its whole life... And who knows, maybe I'll hook up with some old (or new) friends and start getting into some off roading again as well...

Daily life should work fine with this, I"m a single dad, just the one child, grocery shopping is usually as much as we ever have to haul in a vehicle. My commute to work is maybe 4 minutes down a highway from my house. I do very little highway driving unless we're on a trip somewhere...

I keep turning this over and over in my head, and I keep coming up with ways that I can justify this toy... I love convertibles, and the ability to take off the top, and even pop the doors off, and still have a hard top in winter or for when I don't want a lot of wind noise like I had in both convertibles - my mind just keeps going to how much fun this thing was to drive, and how it would be like having several different cars depending on what I did with the tops and the body.

My current ride is a 2017 Mazda CX-5 I got almost a year ago, and I love the tech in it, and the head's up display (why I bought this over other cars I was looking at) but I find I almost never pay attention to the head's up display, I don't do a lot of highway driving so the radar speed control is almost never used, I don't use my phone or snooze while driving so the lane assist stuff never gets used either. My real things I use all the time are a great stereo, backup cameras, blind spot monitoring, and backup assist for warning for cross traffic when backing out of a parking lot. And the Wrangler I'm pricing out has all of that... The rest of the stuff is gravy and I don't mind giving it up for having something that would be FUN again...

Anyone have anything I should keep in mind that would absolutely make this a horrible choice for me? Other than the sticker shock, since my build is coming out to right around 50,500... Which is flabbergasting considering what I paid for my GC limiteds... But I'm at the point in my life that I'd LIKE to have a fun car again, but something that can deal with the snow we get here as well... That's a hard combination to find, and the Wrangler this year just seems to hit all my buttons... My son and I drove the orange one and loved the color, but somehow despite red being his favorite color and what my four of my last five cars has been, he is totally bonkers over the yellow Wrangler he saw online, and I have to admit it's appealing to me as well.

Thanks for any suggestions, ideas, warnings, or just laughter at my expense... No matter what I'll be getting a Jeep, either the 2019 Cherokee Limited or the 2018 Sahara, so I'll at least be back in the Jeep family again... Of all the cars I've owned, I've only had ONE manufacturer I've had more than once... Four of them have been Jeeps, so that tells me something...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-23-2018, 06:09 PM
Kev M
2012 WK 

Sorry I started skimming.

All I can say is:

* Brown leather is awesome even with the tops off (I don't buy vehicles with cloth either).

* One thing that might help is exemplary residual value if/when you sell or trade.

* You gotta be ready for it to drive more like a 1970's pickup than any modern pickup or SUV.

* If you like accessorizing it's like a tinker toy for adults.

* Love my hardtop, but I run a frameless softop for summer. Perfect combination for me.

I love my Sahara, just the right amount of tech and comfort combined with go anywhere capability.

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
post #3 of 4 Old 08-23-2018, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
JDThird

Garage
Thanks! I'm already figuring the hardtop will be winter, and the new softtop that comes off so easily will be all that ever goes on in the summer.

2018 Sahara doesn't offer brown leather, just black or camel, and I had camel leather in my 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse Turbo Spyder, so I know how much of a pain that beige color leather can be with a car that's exposed to dirt and dust with a top down.

I drove one again today, and again I'm just shocked at how much better it is than any other Wrangler I've ever rode in or driven in on the road. And yeah, I'm for accessorizing, did that with my grand cherokee limiteds, and the things available for a wrangler seems to just be a never ending list...

I can get the family pricing, so I don't think there's anything that's going to keep me from getting one sometime this summer or fall... Late fall / early winter I won't e upside down on my Mazda CX-5 I bought last summer, so I think that's about the time I'll pull the trigger.

I need to stop taking them out for test drives...
Kev M likes this.

post #4 of 4 Old 08-23-2018, 06:37 PM
Kev M
2012 WK 

I don't know what color you call these (Jeep called them Saddle Brown or something like that), but they've been AWESOME top off, dirty, clean, whatever...

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited

Tags
sahara , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in