Concerned - JGC Summit - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-08-2018, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Tisbury

Concerned - JGC Summit

Hello all, first time poster. Created an account so I could ask the pros.
I have been driving a truck for years and just moved to KC where the size is not only inconvenient, but also sucking up my gas at an incredible 9mpg. I've decided to sell it and get something smaller, but still big enough to do most of the things I used the truck for. Finally decided on a JGC Summit, but I'm trying to stay under $30k, which pushes me to 14 and 15. Now, I know the 14's have a lot more problems than the 15's, but I believe they both have the 100k mile power train warranty, correct? I have a '14 being offered to me right now with 88k miles, which seems fairly high, but not astronomical.
Any opinions on what I should do?
The Summit has everything that is important to me, ie: heated seats/wheel, heated back seats for the kids, premium audio, high'ish-end leather, 6cyl, 4wd, and I personally think they're comfortable.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-08-2018, 12:09 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
what truck do you have now that gets 9mpg? Makes no sense really since my 1996 F250 that is 22 years old and at close to 200k gets no less than 13 thats towing just the truck 18 highway city depends a lot if i can roll at say 45-55 down in over drive its more like 20.

The 3.6 at best is going to be what 20mpg ish more or less. It wont tow much it aint a truck. At those miles and the end of its warranty is why the last people traded it off. 30k? in a year its out of warranty and anything goes out will eat more than any fuel saved in twenty years.......

heck for the money i would get a hardly used 2002 excursion 7.3 or older more a suv than any jeep and sounds like still gets better mpg and it burns coal. my money my 2 cents. you could about park some suvs in it............

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-08-2018, 07:34 PM
Kev M
2012 WK 

I'm not really sure what doc is going on about.

I'm not about to second guess your desires or decisions on economics.

But here's my thoughts on our 2012 WK2 Limited 3.6L (which btw sounds like it has everything you want but the heated steering wheel).

We generally get around 18-20 locally and up to 23-24 mpg on road trips if we're gentle with the throttle.

It tows 5k with ease, and I think later models have a slightly higher rating.

It's quiet and comfortable and relatively easy to park and drive in urban settings.

It's capable in off-road or harsh weather.

I think it's generally a good choice.

At 75k now I've done brakes (early) and made one repair (thermostat, just last week actually).

We remain quite happy.

Good luck with your decision.

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited

post #4 of 7 Old 08-09-2018, 06:53 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

I'm not sure what Doc's issues are either.

The Grand Cherokee is an extremely comfortable vehicle and my wife loves hers. Around town, with the Pentastar, we get 18-20 MPG consistently but she really only goes a few miles daily. On the highway, she had done as well as 28 MPG (by the dash computer, by manual computation, it's only slightly less). Hers is a 17 but so far, the only issue we had was a trim fit issue and the 2 recalls.

It's rated for 6K towing and while I have not maxed out it's tow capacity, I have towed my pop up with it and it didn't even know it was there and the gas mileage didn't change. Probably won't be the same with a 4K trailer but my 2K trailer was absolutely fine.

My JK has 88K on it and it's a wheeling vehicle but I have not had any issues except a starter and a battery. It's also the Pentastar. I had some issues earlier in it's life with ill fitting/bent windshield frame which you won't have with the WK2.

I think you should be able to get a better price but it wouldn't bother me drive train wise.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #5 of 7 Old 08-11-2018, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Tisbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
what truck do you have now that gets 9mpg? Makes no sense really since my 1996 F250 that is 22 years old and at close to 200k gets no less than 13 thats towing just the truck 18 highway city depends a lot if i can roll at say 45-55 down in over drive its more like 20.

The 3.6 at best is going to be what 20mpg ish more or less. It wont tow much it aint a truck. At those miles and the end of its warranty is why the last people traded it off. 30k? in a year its out of warranty and anything goes out will eat more than any fuel saved in twenty years.......

heck for the money i would get a hardly used 2002 excursion 7.3 or older more a suv than any jeep and sounds like still gets better mpg and it burns coal. my money my 2 cents. you could about park some suvs in it............
For what it's worth, I have a 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ Z71. Gas engine, crew cab, regular bed. 9-10mpg is my average daily mpg, no matter what I do or where I go.
I didn't say anything about needing to tow and I'm not buying a 16 year old Ford, no matter how many cars you can park inside of it...
Thank you for your opinion though. Appreciate the time.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-11-2018, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Tisbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M View Post
At 75k now I've done brakes (early) and made one repair (thermostat, just last week actually).
Did you replace both pads and rotors? Was it by choice, or necessary? What was going on with the thermostat?
post #7 of 7 Old 08-11-2018, 11:03 AM
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisbury View Post
Did you replace both pads and rotors? Was it by choice, or necessary? What was going on with the thermostat?
Pads only. It was early, probably had about half life left on front, a little less than half on back. But wife was out of town on business and asked me to check and as long as I was there with it up on jack stands I said screw it.

Thermostat threw a code a week or two ago, was sticking open slightly and over-cooling. $20 and an hour of work later I had her replaced.

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited

Tags
grand cherokee , help needed , summit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in