buying YJ advice - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 02-08-2010, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
nyyj

buying YJ advice

hi

im new to the forum and always wanted to get a wrangler and time has come when my DD died and it's time to replace it. i understand that YJ may no be the best choice for DD but im willing to give it a shot.

i found 95 YJ 4.0 I6 with AUTO (although wishing it was MANUAL) transmission with somehow high miles of around 140k. i haven't seen the car yet but it has hard top/full doors(doors don't match the color of the car - i guess i can repaint later). seller said there's some rust on passenger front fender which will cost $100 to replace (again will need to match color). there is small hole in pass floor pan but nothing that a sheet of metal can't cover up. he said the interior is in very good condition and little rust on the frame but nothing major. seller says 4x4 n tranny are good, drive and shifts smooth, again I need to check that. price is around $2500-$3000. is it priced right or should i look elsewhere?

jeep is located 2hr away from me so i will most likely pick it up when im there to test/inspect it. what are the things that i need to look for when it's time to test/check it? thanks in advance for your input.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-08-2010, 05:25 PM
Stefan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Look elsewhere, and if I were you, I'd go for a TJ. They're rated best used wrangler buy...easiest to maintain and work on...and by far most reliable.
Check out the write up in JP magazine about used TJ's

-Stefan Snorrason (1997 TJ a.k.a Eloisa or Jeppi)
post #3 of 7 Old 02-08-2010, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
nyyj

thanks for your advice. i sort of like the YJs square lights more than the TJs circles, although the interior is a bit better in TJ yet more crampy. are you saying that the price is too high for the specs/condition listed above? i'd think that TJs cost more than that and i'm not on very high budget.

post #4 of 7 Old 02-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Kerner
1980 CJ7 

4.0, Auto, hard top and doors. It is a valuable Jeep if taken care of. A little rust is okay if it only needs a fender or hole patched. If it's worse than he describes, which they usually are, if you can do the work yourself and get a good price. Look for leaks, rusted frame. Loose steering/suspension parts, ball joints, tie rods, u-joints. Shifts okay, doesn't overheat. Give it a good test drive, make sure it gets up to temp and you run it a little hard. Recent brake job? Tires? maintenance?

From what's been explained here, NY is a higher priced area, if you could get this around $2200-2500 you'd probably be alright and have a little in your pocket towards some of the work.

High mileage 97 TJ similar options would still be $6K-$8K range.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Stefan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well you can craigslist a good TJ and find someone just lookin to get some cash...I've seen real steals on there.. for pretty good TJ's...you may wanna check craigslist.

post #6 of 7 Old 02-09-2010, 12:37 PM
lower11
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thats a pretty good price. Not great but good. If you could save a little more $$$$ and hold off on a vehicle im sure you can find a better one. But even after you buy one you will find a better deal out there. It seems to always happen.

I paid 4300 for mine. 1995 YJ, 108k, no rust. interior was rhino lined, 33's and 3 inch lift. Found it on craigslist.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-09-2010, 01:11 PM
Stefan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Craigslist is like jeep meccah...have you ever just typed in "Jeep" to the search space?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in