Buying a CJ - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 05-16-2020, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
college_brewer

Buying a CJ

Hey all,

Long time lurker, first time poster here. For a couple years now, I have been obsessed with CJs. I currently own an 01 TJ, and use it as my primary vehicle. I would be looking to switch to a CJ as a primary. Last spring I flew across country in hopes of buying a laredo and got cold feet at the last second. My question(s) for you all is: What kind of road/wind noise should I expect in a CJ? I read all about the maintenance issues and upkeep in a CJ, but what do you all consider normal? I change all my own fluids and do all the regular maintenance on the TJ currently. Cruising at ~65 is perfectly fine in the TJ, but testing out the CJ seemed very loud. I understand that they're old, minimal, etc., but what is normal and what is excessive? I do not care about creature comforts like A/C, digital radio and the like. I would post photos of the one I am currently looking at, but I am not allowed to include attachments. It is a 1984 CJ7 with apparently 75k miles on it. Looks mostly stock with carpeted interior and a hardtop. Any advice appreciated!

Kyle

Last edited by college_brewer; 05-16-2020 at 12:35 PM. Reason: photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-21-2020, 08:22 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

The CJ is going to be louder than the TJ. It's less refined. That also makes it easier to maintain. Being an older vehicle, it will require more maintenance though so be prepared for that.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #3 of 3 Old 05-22-2020, 06:00 PM
JaketheMoose
1986 CJ7 

That is a nice looking Jeep for the year. It looks pretty clean and appears that is was maintained well. Maintenence on a CJ is like anything else, change the fluids and tak care of it and it will last a long time for you. As far as being loud, yes... it will be loud. Just a hunch, but pull the carpeting up and see if the drain plugs are missing. That could be the cause of some noise. Otherwise, enjoy the sweet tones of a great Jeep!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in