Buying advice requested - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 11-25-2007, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Wireless
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Buying advice requested

Hi, this is my first post to the forum, but I have been reading it for awhile now. Sorry, but this will be a long post. I have caught the Jeep bug recently and I am planning to take the plunge to buy. My good friend just splurged and got a 2008 Unlimited Rubicon and had 35's and a 4" lift put on.... I am not feeling that spendy. I have owned two offroad vehicles before:

- 1980 Full size Ford Bronco. I installed the 4" lift and 33s myself. Definitely a "low budget" machine, but I had lots of fun.
- 1974 Land Rover Series III. They don't look that impressive, but you would be surprised what they can do. Low gearing and pizza cutter tires were great offroad, but I had a max speed of around 50 Mph. With a tail wind.

While both were tones of fun, the low budget approach did have it's drawbacks. Example: Bronco was running 3.07 gears or similar. Not fun. It also had a leaky master cylinder and other "interesting" features. The Land Rover had zero power. Not a problem in all situations, but it was in a few. No easy fix. The Jeep to me offers a way to cover all the drawbacks of the past in one package. Here is what I hope to get to:

- Jeep will be 3rd vehicle and used for weekends mostly. I am not that close to good wheeling country (a few hours at least) so will only wheel a few times a year. So has to be capable on road and off. If it will be off road, it seems to be more rocks near me than mud (I am in Dallas).
- I would like to have 35's. I have had 33's before, and would like to go a bit bigger.
- I have to stress the good on road manners. I will not be buying a fourth vehicle to tow this one to trail country. I hope to have 35's while keeping good on road handling for safety.

I was thinking of starting with a TJ unless anyone has a different opinion. Questions I would have after that are:
- Manual or Auto. I don't mind a stick, but is one really any better/reliable than the other?
- Three choices: X with the 30/35, Sport or Sahara with 30/44, or Rubi with 44/44?
- Is any year preferable in the TJ line?
- What lift would be recommended in the 4" to 6" variety. I have read about many (RE, Fabtech, Full Traction, Superlift, Skyjacker, etc.) and some do see to be preferred over others. Even though I am not expecting lots of extreme offroad, I am leaning towards a long arm for over all handling.

Well, that is too long already so I will cut off the questions here. Just would like to say thanks to the many knowledgeable people on this board, I have leaned much already.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-25-2007, 04:48 PM
cj847
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I don't have lots of answers but will try to head you in what I think is the right direction.

You will definately need a D44 rear to run 35's.
You may want to upgrade the D30 front with better axles and Vanco brakes for 35's.
I prefer auto's and have not heard a lot of problems with any of them. However, the TJ did not get an auto with overdrive until 2003.
I don't know about the lifts first hand. This board tends to lean toward RE. I agree with you though that if you are going 4" or more go with long arms.

Sounds like budget is not your issue. So, buy a Rubi with auto and add the long arm kit and 35's and regear, you should be good to go.

97 TJ Sport OPJ project (other peoples junk) I can't remember the last time I bought a new part.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in