buy or no? 2014 sport freedom - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 12-04-2018, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
clintaskins

buy or no? 2015 sport freedom

2015 wrangler sport 2 door freedom edition 3.6L from carmax (125 pt inspection, newer tires, slightly bigger tires than stock)

52K miles. $26K out the door, after tax

thoughts? i'm wondering at what point it's worth buying a brand new one versus used.

Last edited by clintaskins; 12-04-2018 at 05:16 PM. Reason: wrong info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-04-2018, 07:35 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Price the same jeep (same model, options, trim level, etc) but new, and really see what the difference is.

Secondly, is the used one equipped exactly how you want, or is it a "settle for" just because it's less money.

Third, how long do you plan on keeping it. If just a few years, a used "settle for" may make more financial sense. If you plan on 10+ years, a new jeep equipped "your way" is justified, IMO. But, Wranglers are different vehicles, so be sure your comfortable keeping it for a long, long time.

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #3 of 8 Old 12-05-2018, 08:21 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

First of all, what do you want a Wrangler for? Is a 2 Dr Sport the vehicle that fits your needs? The OTD price is on par with KBB.

Once that's defined, now what has been done to that one at CarMax? You said slightly bigger tires, what size are they? That makes a difference in drivability. Sports came with 3.21 gears unless equipped with the Max Tow package. This Sport may not have the optimum gearing for the tires so knowing exactly what tires on it is important. What else? Any lift or other mods?

If you plan on making mods to it, a Sport can be a great place to start as they are the most basic of the Wrangler line. That being said, they are usually rather spartan in the amenities department.

If you don't need fancy things like leather interior, power windows, etc and can DIY and want something capable of playing, then it may be right. If you are just looking for s DD or a family vehicle, the 2 Dr may not be it. If you need a vehicle that can do double duty and are not looking to do a lot of mods to it, you may want to look into a Rubicon.

Now, whether to go new or used. Wranglers hold their value. At this point, you can still find new JK's and of course, new JL's. New JK's are still available and can be found at really good prices if you shop and are open to traveling a bit to the dealer that still has them. New JL's won't be discounted heavily if at all. New you will get a full factory warranty which could be important. New is unmolested by the previous owner. New can be a lot more money. However, JK Sports in my area can be found for right around $30K but I did find one for $26.3K so hop on cars.com, Car Guru's, Autotrader, etc and start looking. Heck, I found a 2 Dr Rubicon for $35K. For that price (not OTD though) I would be seriously tempted to buy new.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA

post #4 of 8 Old 12-05-2018, 11:52 AM
Randglerjk

I got my 2010 jk 4d sport unlimited in 2013 with 56k miles. Sticker price was 18,999 put 4k down and paid it at 389 for 3 years paid it full off on the 4th year. Cars got 104k miles now and it should still sell for max 15 in a private sell.

Deals are out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 8 Old 12-05-2018, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
clintaskins

so i ended up finding a much better deal. 2014 4 door willy's with 70K miles for 22,500. About 5-6K under Kelly BB. super happy i didn't end up going with 2 door and just looking more!
post #6 of 8 Old 12-05-2018, 09:33 PM
Randglerjk

$22.5 for 70k? Kinda high dont you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 8 Old 12-06-2018, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
clintaskins

doesn't seem like it compared to everything else i found online. 5K under KBB. and it's certified pre-owned so i have the warranty through 100K miles. i was finding two doors for 2K more than this one with similar mileage
post #8 of 8 Old 12-06-2018, 04:22 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Clint, congrats on your new jk and your decision. Wrangler values are all over the board and very greatly based on model, options, condition, and even area of the country.

Something's value is based on what a willing buyer/seller agree on.

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in