Anyone heard of GemJeep? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-15-2018, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
fonzi337

Anyone heard of GemJeep?

Hi,

I'm new here and not too familiar with Wranglers / Rubicons, but have always liked them.

Is anyone familiar with GemJeep builds? Are they a reputable / high-quality Jeep customization shop? I believe their website was gemjeep.com, but is now deactivated, which doesn't give me a lot of confidence...

Here is one of their cars I was looking at: carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/45615519

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-16-2018, 06:59 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

What are you looking for? What are you going to do with it?

That is an overly blinged out, overpriced Rubi with a lot of Smittybilt bolt-on's. I wouldn't be paying that for it. All of what was done that they highlighted are easy mods done in the driveway. There is nothing said about lift, who's lift, what was done to the suspension, etc.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #3 of 9 Old 11-16-2018, 09:12 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Ever heard of the phrase 'less is more" ?

Evidently, the Builder of that jeep has not.

A ton of the bolt-on doo-dads... I'll take a hard pass.

And that interior? Looks like deadpool exploded inside it.

You could build a much better looking and likely capable vehicle for much less.

Hoss

I'd rather be a few peoples shot of whiskey than everyones cup of tea...

post #4 of 9 Old 11-16-2018, 09:23 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Yea....no thanks. If that hideous mall crawler is the kind of work Gem Jeep does (did), it's no surprise they're not around any more.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #5 of 9 Old 11-16-2018, 05:43 PM
Randglerjk

In my personal opinion, the only issue i got is the price. I only make 60k and i live in cali. So if im going to spend a premium for a jeep it better be unique. That jeep is nice looking and ready to go, but its not for a guy like me. In fact, id rather buy a corvette instead. But if i pretend i wanted a 50k jeep id certainly be more interested in a jeep thats received more attention to suspension transmission and axles. If you can buy a jeep thats been spec’ed out to really stand out in the trails than everyones gonna know u got something special. But this jeep is more of a companies marketing piece. Notice all the shiny bells and whistles, custom sets and badges all over the place? Thats all promo stuff. Youd be driving a jeep designed to promote their brand — and no jeep guy should really want to look like a poser. So id say keep looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 9 Old 11-17-2018, 06:48 AM
Kev M
2012 WK 

Wow, on, yeah, that's a bit over the top. Deadpool ha ha that's hilarious.

Ok, now that said. If YOU like it, well that's all that matters. If you do ignore those guys.

If you agree it's over the top, then yeah, you can do a lot in your driveway for a lot less....A LOT less.

Have fun.

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
post #7 of 9 Old 11-17-2018, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
fonzi337

Thanks for the replies, and lol at the Deadpool exploded comment.

I personally like the style, but understand if others don't, I was more curious about quality of the mods and value. Sounds like the mods added can be had for much less.

Curious about suspension, transmission, axle mods. Do owners tend to upgrade these for a lot of off-roading, or are the stock Rubicon ones not very good? For my and my wife's use case, we don't plan to do much, if any, off-roading. Maybe occasional snow.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-17-2018, 03:49 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Stock the Rubicon model could do way more than most drivers would ever tread, axles are very reliable up to 35s, even in the hardest of trails , my lighter 2 door runs 37s and nothing but hard trails axles and the rest doing well so far after 6+ years of hard stuff. Your paying for what is a bunch China made low end parts. In the snow on the street the rubi has no advantage over the rest really, unless its real deep. If you want AWD in a Jeep. You want the new JL in the Sahara edition with AWD checked in the box. No Jeeps meaning cjs-jk will have that. They all are like the first one in 1941. That New Jl Sahara with AWD i bet is less than that 2016 Rubi that looks like it went through pep boys with a fecal magnet.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-17-2018, 09:33 PM
Kev M
2012 WK 

What Doc said.

I think a lot of people don't realize that Wranglers are crawlers, especially Rubi's.

Generally speaking a Subaru would be as good or better in snow. Or anything with a modern AWD system.

The Wrangler is one of the last 4x4's out there with a good old fashioned part time system, meaning you can't use it in rain or even much in light slush. You need to use it in conditions that are slippery enough to be prevent driveline binding.

In contrast AWD systems are designed with the ability to slip where necessary to be active all the time in any level of dry, which makes them easier to use and arguably more useful in snow.

The JLU Sahara is a great compromise, as there is an optional system that offers the off-road ability and ruggedness of a part time system, but has the convenience of a full time system you can set and forget in any condition.

Honestly if you aren't going off-road you don't NEED a part-time system.

My wife's WK2 GC is better in a lot of day to day conditions from rain to snow, but it's not nearly as capable on the beach and in the dunes.

And of course, my JKU is more fun.

PS my JKU Sahara was ordered new and well configured to my tastes and needs. It came on at an MSRP of around $42k. I've configured a similar JLU with the optional transfer case and a similar level of functional and comfortable amenities (heated leather and nav, premium sound, towing, hardtop, etc.) and it stickers around $50k.

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in