LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-15-2007, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Crawlings
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Advice on a 94 YJ

It's a seller on this forum. Here's the link:

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=481557

What do you guys think?

I'd love to get a 2nd/3rd/4th opinion. It looks ok to me, and the guy seems very knowledgeable. I'm going to check it out in person next week and I was wondering if you guys could give me any advice on things to check and look for while I'm there.

Thanks,
Chad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-15-2007, 09:54 PM
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

looks like a nice rig, 6k might be a bit much depending on how many miles it has on it. additionally you should know that it has a "welded" front axle which will not help your on road characteristics at all. It will be something to get used to. Make sure you like that feel when you drive it.

-Kyle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's Not Just a Jeep, It's a Lifestyle
post #3 of 7 Old 11-15-2007, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Crawlings
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I was wondering about that. When he says, "welded front axle", what does that mean exactly (as in what part is welded)? And why would you do that?

136K miles.

What would you say it's worth by looking at it? No hard top, soft top in questionable shape, and no rear seat.

post #4 of 7 Old 11-15-2007, 11:46 PM
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

heres the KBB on the vehicle, this is what i usually base my purchases on.
http://www.kbb.com/KBB/UsedCars/Pric...uizConditions=

the reason you would weld the axle is basically to have a cheap locker so both axle shafts will have equal power to them. this is a good thing when wheeling but for driving on road it isn't so good and will effect your steering capabilities.

-Kyle

post #5 of 7 Old 11-16-2007, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Crawlings
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So I went and test drove some TJ's and one YJ today. Pictures of the YJ are coming, but it looks good. Other than a carb... What are the downsides to having a carb vs. MPFI? Is it a do it yourself job to install FI?

I noticed a couple things on two 97 TJ's I drove, and I was wondering if you guys could help me pinpoint what was causing them.

One had a slight wobble (stock suspension) when driving at 50+ MPH, but hardly noticeable. Is this normal? I'm coming from a 2004 BMW M3, so it's hard to tell what would be considered ok with a Jeep's drastic suspension differences.

Also, on the other TJ, I noticed that the gear shifter had a LOT of wiggle room. A very sloppy feel to shifting gears if you know what I mean. Wasn't notchy and exact. What causes this and is it a cause for concern?

In general, when I'm test driving, what are some tell-tale signs to steer me away from a particular jeep? I know wobble, but how much? What kind of things in the feel of the engine or the looks of it in the bay? And also, the transmission... What is acceptable and "no-go" in terms of feel?

I know those are vague and difficult questions to answer, but as I continue to test drive more and more jeeps, any thing will help.

I'm going to look at two more YJ's this coming weekend.

Thanks a lot guys (and gals )!
Chad
post #6 of 7 Old 11-16-2007, 04:24 PM
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

that slight vibration at 50+ mph is likley due to tires that are wearing incorrectly and/or tires that arent balanced. you will know when the wobble becomes too much, it will feel like the jeep will want to jump one way or the other.

as for things to look for, check fluid levels, the color of the fluids, belt, check under the jeep for apparent marks due to wear etc.

my advice since you are new to jeeps is just drive as many as you can, once you start to get a feel for them you will be able to tell what sort of feel you are looking for.

-Kyle

post #7 of 7 Old 11-16-2007, 06:29 PM
Wild Hare
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlings
Yeah, I was wondering about that. When he says, "welded front axle", what does that mean exactly (as in what part is welded)? And why would you do that?

136K miles.

What would you say it's worth by looking at it? No hard top, soft top in questionable shape, and no rear seat.
welded front is the spider gears are welded to the carrier making it a locker in front basically like a spool. you won't notice it while in 2 wheel drive, but when you shift into 4 wheel drive it will automatically engage the drivers front to run 100%, then when you pull on the posi lock, that engages the passenger front. takes some getting used too but works

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in