94 a good year? And major problems? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 05-04-2018, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
bibsoconner2

94 a good year? And major problems?

I'm a newbie to Jeeps. Was thinking of getting one that's relatively easy to work on as a father/daughter project. I would welcome general advice on which years are good ones for Jeeps but currently am curious about 19994 four cylinder. From my limited research I think this is "YJ" and features square (as opposed to round) headlights. I definitely don't care about that!

Add does mention
1. 120K miles (how long do these engines go?)
2. No cover/top (how expensive are after market covers? Should I go soft/hard?)
3. Transmission housing mounted to driver's side needs work soon (Not sure what this means!)
4. Need to replace driver's side rear shackle mount section of frame (what is that?).

In general is this a good year? My limited research suggests it's one of the last of the YJ years and that usually means kinks have been worked out.

Thanks,
Andrew
P.S. Certainly not in love with any particular year/model so would welcome suggestions. Perhaps I should mention I just replaced low beam headlights on my 2014 Subaru Outback. What should be a 5 minute job took 2 hours due to crappy design. Hence my desire for "easy to work on". Easy to work on doesn't mean "easy to replace engine/transmission", although that would be nice! "Easy to work on" means easy to replace lights, battery, change oil/filter, and breaks and other stuff that could reasonably be done without lifting car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-05-2018, 07:59 AM
bdavid500
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Most all years of the YJ are pretty solid. I would look for 1991+ with the 6 cylinder. The 4 is a good engine but very under powered. In stock form just OK but when you start to add bigger tires (even 31's) the power lose is noticeable.
You want to be sure to inspect for rust, specifically on the frame. Time consuming to repair and rust never sleeps so nearly impossible to stop.
I have both a YJ and a TJ and honestly I can only tell a very slight difference in ride quality (some will say the TJ rides better). The YJ is slightly simpler to lift. But the TJ's were available with air bags. Not sure which year of the TJ started the implementation of the AirBag but if your daughter is ultimately going to be the main driver then maybe that is worth considering. Mechanically both the YJ and the TJ have the same engine and similar Fuel Injection.
Take your time looking, look and drive a lot of various jeeps, when a good deal comes along you will know it. Be warned you can get addicted to modifying the jeep once you get your hands on one worth having.
Prices are all over the map, I am no expert but I don't know of any part of the country where Jeeps are CHEAP. Cheaper in some parts of the country than others but not cheap anywhere you look.
I would avoid the one you described above and keep looking.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-06-2018, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
bibsoconner2

Thanks David, I'll pass on this one (I think it's already gone) and take my time looking. I was aware that the 4 cylinder was under powered. Frankly I thought that might be good for a teenager . And as far as the airbags, I've always read that they are not particularly a good idea for short people. My daughter is 5'3". The idea is that if the airbag is too close to your body, it can seriously hurt you. On the other hand, teenagers are likely to not wear seatbelts, so who knows?

Do you have an opinion on engine and transmission life (how many miles) on these vehicles?

Thanks again,
Andrew

post #4 of 4 Old 05-07-2018, 02:43 PM
bdavid500
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The 6 cylinder engines have been known to go 250k+. I have a friend that bought a used YJ with about 200k on it. No idea of the history of his engine but he now has 245k and no major issues.
I have seen folks on the forum report more miles than that without major issues. Of course it all depends on how well the previous owner beat on the jeep.

Regarding air bags and shorter folks. At some point the TJ (1997-2006) Chrysler lowered the seating position of the jeep so that the Air Bag was more likely to hit the driver in the facial area.
Of course that kind of made it harder for the shorter driver to see over the hood. My G/F is just 5’-1” so I added 1” seat riser brackets to her jeep and even for me that feels about right. IF you did do that do not cheap out and make up something with washers. There are seat riser blocks sold via various vendors that are worth the investment.

You will find that YJ’s a bit cheaper than the TJ’s. But it’s because the last year of the YJ was 1995 so 22-23 years ago. Most of what you find in a YJ will be beat up pretty hard. The 4 cylinders are about 700-1000 cheaper than the 6 cyclinders. But the way I look at it is (and I have seen folks post this a number of times) is that there is a good chance that you will end up with the jeep and she will want something else more comfy or what ever. So I take the approach that you might as well get what you would like to inherit.

Let me say that one plus that can be found in some TJ ‘s is a Dana 44 rear axle. Only the Canadian YJ’s had a dana 44. All US YJ’s came with a dana 35 rear. Fine for the street but not as strong an axle as a Dana 44. Not all TJs’ came with a Dana 44 so IF you find that you might want to have that option you can google and find out how to quickly identify the Dana 44 option in a TJ.
Yes there are a number of Axle swaps available for a YJ so there is also that option.

Lastly the 6 cylinder jeeps came with either a Standard 5 speed which is (if not swapped out) an AX-15. Good strong tranny. The Automatics were 32RH 3 speeds in all the YJs and TJ's until 2003. Very reliable long life transmission.

keep up posted on what you find.
Bill

Tags
newbie , wrangler , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in