4cyl or 6? Flat tow - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 02-23-2020, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
betterwayliving

4cyl or 6? Flat tow

We will be looking for a USED jeep to tow behind a school bus converted to an RV, known as a Skoolie. The jeep will allow us to get to places the Skoolie cannot. We want a wrangler, the shorter the better in our mind as towing it behind a 25'-35' Skoolie will make the overall package long enough!

it MUST be flat towable.
So should we go 4 cyl or 6 cyl?
Any years in particular to avoid?
Manual or automatic? We both know how to drive a stick.
Is there a "generally accepted" number of miles these engines last? (We have an 05 Toyota Sienna with 265K on it and never a problem,never stranded as we do all maintenance and repairs as needed.)

Most of the time it will be towed but will be used to get to trail heads and sometimes do "town runs" for resupply.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-23-2020, 10:06 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I guess I'll give this a try. There are multiple areas of discussion here.

First off, short wheel base used wranglers, that gives you 3 model choices.
Late 80s-95, YJ models, left spring suspension among other features, least refinements of the 3 models.
97-06, TJ models, coil spring suspension, etc
07-18, JK models, coil springs, more electronics, refinements, etc.

You didn't say what your budget was, but that will also play into which model. All these wranglers make for an easy tow vehicle.

4 cyl vs 6 cyl. This is talked about highly on the forums.
Basically every Wrangler, out of the box, is pretty capable and fun to drive. Even a stock 4cyl can go off-road on trails etc. the issue comes when they're expected to go down the hiway at 80mph. Or when loads of heavy mods, lift kits, bigger tires, gear, winches, etc, that many feel that the 4cyl is unpowered.

Manual vs auto, probably more of a personal choice, has no effect on flat tow capability.

My suggestion, go look at and test drive as many of all models/years/configurations as possible. Test drives are still free. Then you can make an informed decision, including budget consideration.

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #3 of 5 Old 02-27-2020, 09:54 PM
eracking

full disclosure: I do not own a wrangler (yet). But I did have a 92 xj (cherokee) 4.0 for at least 10 years in the early 20-aughts.

My advice, from what I've read and my own personal limited experience would be to find a 4.0 -- that thing is bulletproof I put over 320,000 on my xj before I sold it in '14 and I still see it around town a few times a year. If you can both drive a 5-speed then get the manual. Depending on your budget look for a tj over the yj. Looking around for one I've noticed a lot more issues with yj's than tj's. Not just because the ys is older, but seems like you find so many modifications, motor swaps and such that lead to mechanical and electrical issues.

However, the most fun and awesomest jeep I've ever driven was a 2019 rubicon unlimited with the convertible soft top. Took that puppy to a DMB concert and fishing. Did a U-turn on a narrow 2-lane fishing bridge(pier) that would have took anything else 7-points to turn around. So if you've got 30K in your jeep budget get one of those.

post #4 of 5 Old 02-28-2020, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
betterwayliving

Quote:
Originally Posted by eracking View Post
full disclosure: I do not own a wrangler (yet). But I did have a 92 xj (cherokee) 4.0 for at least 10 years in the early 20-aughts.

My advice, from what I've read and my own personal limited experience would be to find a 4.0 -- that thing is bulletproof I put over 320,000 on my xj before I sold it in '14 and I still see it around town a few times a year. If you can both drive a 5-speed then get the manual. Depending on your budget look for a tj over the yj. Looking around for one I've noticed a lot more issues with yj's than tj's. Not just because the ys is older, but seems like you find so many modifications, motor swaps and such that lead to mechanical and electrical issues.

However, the most fun and awesomest jeep I've ever driven was a 2019 rubicon unlimited with the convertible soft top. Took that puppy to a DMB concert and fishing. Did a U-turn on a narrow 2-lane fishing bridge(pier) that would have took anything else 7-points to turn around. So if you've got 30K in your jeep budget get one of those.
LOL, not a 30k budget for sure. especially on a vehicle that will mostly be towed, especially when on the highway. This will be for "around the town" runs after we are parked for a while and then roads the bus can't make it down but we want to explore (like forest service roads, etc)
post #5 of 5 Old 02-28-2020, 06:42 PM
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

They all can be towed. In high gear or park and the transfer case in Neutral. Thats for 87 and newer Wranglers and XJ Cherokees. I suggest 91 and newer for the better fuel injection. An XJ Cherokee is as capable as a wrangler and can give a better ride and most are air conditioned also cheaper. It also is a place to lock up more gear safely.
The 6 cylinder (4.0 liter) is easily good for 250-300K.
Ive towed XJs,YJs and TJs and the all tow simularly.NICE

Ron

Of all the things Ive lost
The one I miss most is my mind

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in