4 cylinder or 6 cylinder - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 03-31-2020, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
keppy

4 cylinder or 6 cylinder

Does a 4 last as long as a 6 cylinder
or will it last as long or even longer ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-31-2020, 09:16 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Might help to know which four and six cylinder engines you're talking about.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #3 of 11 Old 04-02-2020, 07:23 PM
Kev M
2012 WK 

I can't conceive of a situation where the natural answer would be yes. A 4cylv in most applications would be smaller and weaker than a 6cyl in the same application OR it would have a turbo and be higher stressed for more power out of fewer cubes. And though there could be design issues with the 6 that might preclude the otherwise obvious answer, absent such the obvious answer is true, the 6 should outlive it.

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited

post #4 of 11 Old 04-04-2020, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
keppy

I found a 2015 Cherokee sport 4 cylinder 4wd 118000 mi. i was just wondered about the 4 stroke in aJeep Cherokee? I do have a 2006 Jeep Liberty i bought new in 2006 with 142000 mi and still runs great.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-07-2020, 09:54 AM
johnwdavisjr

2012 JK Wrangler 

I'd stay away from that Cherokee. I dont hear great things about them.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-08-2020, 08:05 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwdavisjr View Post
I'd stay away from that Cherokee. I dont hear great things about them.
Which means you have no first hand knowledge.

I have a very close friend that has a 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk with right around 105K on it.

It has the 4 cyl and other than the recalls, he had had no problems with the quality of the vehicle. There were programming issues with the 9 speed transmission but those have been resolved.

While it's not really the vehicle for me, his has been reliable and is surprisingly capable off road. However, we both feel the 4 cylinder is a bit under powered.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #7 of 11 Old 04-08-2020, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
keppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranbiz View Post

I have a very close friend that has a 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk with right around 105K on it.

It has the 4 cyl and other than the recalls, he had had no problems with the quality of the vehicle. There were programming issues with the 9 speed transmission but those have been resolved.

While it's not really the vehicle for me, his has been reliable and is surprisingly capable off road. However, we both feel the 4 cylinder is a bit under powered.
......I will say that you can not go by hear say i got my 06 Liberty new in 1906 had it for going on 15 years now and people told me why did you get that Liberty. They just are junk all they do is break down .But this Liberty has never broke down on me and has very little major repairs .
post #8 of 11 Old 04-09-2020, 06:51 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

And My 2006 Liberty, while it went 200K, fell apart.

It had 3 heads put in it, all the window regulators were replaced multiple times and I gave up on those. I put in close to 5 sets of lower ball joints, 2 sets or upper arms. The radio died, AC clutch went 2X, the compressor 2X and then the stuff which one would expect to replace on a vehicle with over 100K, which I don't hold against the model. It was a money pit.

So, My Liberty was a piece of Junk in my opinion and it's now scrap metal someplace. Not sure I would want any metal recycled out of it.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #9 of 11 Old 04-09-2020, 12:17 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M View Post
I can't conceive of a situation where the natural answer would be yes. A 4cylv in most applications would be smaller and weaker than a 6cyl in the same application OR it would have a turbo and be higher stressed for more power out of fewer cubes. And though there could be design issues with the 6 that might preclude the otherwise obvious answer, absent such the obvious answer is true, the 6 should outlive it.
The 2.5L four has proven itself to be quite capable of lasting just as long as the 4.0L six, itself considered by many to be a durable and long-lived engine. In my experience longevity is far more dependent upon how the vehicle is used and maintained than the number of cylinders it has.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #10 of 11 Old 04-09-2020, 01:56 PM
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
The 2.5L four has proven itself to be quite capable of lasting just as long as the 4.0L six, itself considered by many to be a durable and long-lived engine. In my experience longevity is far more dependent upon how the vehicle is used and maintained than the number of cylinders it has.
You've come across a number of 300k mile 2.5's in a Jeep?!?

I've replaced some way (as in a few 100k) before that. One with a pretty big hole in the block.

Maybe if it's used like a mail carrier but if it's actually driven?

Color me skeptical at best.

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
post #11 of 11 Old 04-09-2020, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
keppy

Quote:

Quote:
And My 2006 Liberty, while it went 200K, fell apart.

It had 3 heads put in it, all the window regulators were replaced multiple times and I gave up on those. I put in close to 5 sets of lower ball joints, 2 sets or upper arms. The radio died, AC clutch went 2X, the compressor 2X and then the stuff which one would expect to replace on a vehicle with over 100K, which I don't hold against the model. It was a money pit.

So, My Liberty was a piece of Junk in my opinion and it's now scrap metal someplace. Not sure I would want any metal recycled out of it.
Wow that is crazy my o6 liberty never gave me any trouble and get this the air still puts out cold air after almost 15 years and it never had any work on it. An it runs great today the only problem with it is the door bottoms are rusting out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in