4 cyl or 6 cyl - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 10-27-2019, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
jeeper23x

4 cyl or 6 cyl

Im looking at buying a 2000 tj witha 2.5 l 4 cyl. My previous wranglers have been. Been 4.0 6 cylinder. Im woorried about it being under powered. Im looking for testimony from tge 2.5 people and how they do. Ill be using mainly for commute 20 miles a day.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-27-2019, 05:46 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The absolute best thing you can do is go test drive it and form your own opinion.

Testimony you'll receive will generally fall into one of two categories: those that will say the 2.5L is perfectly fine when properly geared, and those that will say the 2.5L has less get up and go than a light breeze.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #3 of 18 Old 10-28-2019, 03:04 AM
Mr. Baja

2019 MP Compass 

I have had both...if you are going to modify your truck (winch, bigger tires, etc.) then best to get the 6. My stock 4 was a bit under powered especially going up the highway hills. Also some people believe the 4.0/6 engine to be much more reliable than the 2.5/4.

Mr. Baja

Last edited by Mr. Baja; 10-30-2019 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Changed "most" to "some". ;)

post #4 of 18 Old 10-28-2019, 03:01 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Baja View Post
Also most people believe the 4.0/6 engine to be much more reliable than the 2.5/4.
First I've heard that one. Not sure why that'd be the case since they're both basically the same engine, the main difference being the number of cylinders.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #5 of 18 Old 10-30-2019, 05:40 AM
hodge5

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
First I've heard that one. Not sure why that'd be the case since they're both basically the same engine, the main difference being the number of cylinders.
I just finished a 2 month search; I found a low mileage, great condition CJ7, but that was pure chance. I had been looking for YJ's.
There are many more 4 cylinders for sale, than 6. In most of those cases, the 4 cylinder had been replaced or rebuilt. I don't think that it is because the 4 cylinder is inferior, but because they are worked much harder to get the job done. They just don't seem to get the mileage before wearing out.

Jeeper- as suggested, the best way to tell is to drive one. The second consideration, in my opinion, is the transmission- you may be satisfied with the 4, but it will get you the AX5. I was of the mind that I could be satisfied with the 4, but I wanted a better transmission. So, I was aiming for the 4.0, to get the AX15.
post #6 of 18 Old 10-30-2019, 05:59 AM
StrippedTorx

I’ve been driving my parents stock 93 with 2.5 for the last week. It’s even on 28s.
I will say stock form the 2.5 would be an alright “fun vehicle” I can do 65 on highway and it gets better gas than mine.
I’ve enjoyed driving it this week. But I will be happy to get back in my 4.0 yj.
I used to have a 95 rio with 31s as a daily for a few years and it was a dog always.
But I knew it would be with the 31s and no gear change. So depends on your use and just know the limitations.

That said when my parents 2.5 goes it’s getting replaced.
post #7 of 18 Old 10-30-2019, 01:13 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodge5 View Post
I just finished a 2 month search; I found a low mileage, great condition CJ7, but that was pure chance. I had been looking for YJ's.
There are many more 4 cylinders for sale, than 6. In most of those cases, the 4 cylinder had been replaced or rebuilt. I don't think that it is because the 4 cylinder is inferior, but because they are worked much harder to get the job done. They just don't seem to get the mileage before wearing out.
My own personal observations of the local market here don't support the same conclusion, the six being a bit more prevalent for sale and overall rebuild/replacement frequency for either engine about equal, and interestingly enough the four cylinder Jeeps often have higher miles when offered up for sale. Chalk it up to variances in locale I guess.

That aside, the '00 SE sitting in my driveway has over 207k miles on the original engine and shows no signs of stopping or needing rebuilt anytime soon.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #8 of 18 Old 10-30-2019, 03:29 PM
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The 4 cylinder engine is best suited to people that routinely settle in life. I’ve driven a 4 cylinder TJ and it was a gutless pig. For an extra couple grand why not purchase a 6 cylinder equipped rig?
post #9 of 18 Old 10-30-2019, 03:56 PM
underscore
2007 WK 

My YJ was a 2.5, granted it was in rough shape and probably had half the original power left but it was gutless. That was part of the charm of it but if it's your daily driver and you want bigger tires at all I'd get a 4.0. Unless of course your commute is pretty flat or traffic is so bad it doesn't matter how much power you have.

07 WK CRD//QDII//OME MD//MALONE 1.5//OMG WTF BBQ
post #10 of 18 Old 10-30-2019, 04:12 PM
wildbill23c
1998 ZJ 

I guess it depends on if you want to get out of your own way or not. Although in stock form the 4 cylinder may be ok, if you lift it and put larger wheels/tires on it, you probably would like the slight increase in power of the 4L I6. I'm not a Wrangler fan, but given they're a box on wheels they're far from aerodynamic in any shape or form, so I'd think in a highway driving situation encountering high winds you'd certainly feel more comfortable with the I6, and if you gotta go up any significant hills the I6 would be the better choice....if you do go with a 4 cylinder, get it with the manual transmission, they're a bit more sluggish with the automatic.

Personally I wouldn't mind either one, but if I were getting a Wrangler it would be a play in the hills vehicle not for highway use type thing anyhow, so the 4 cylinder probably would be fine for those types of uses, but as a vehicle for highway use I would personally go with the 6 cylinder and have the extra power there to help you get up the hills and through high winds types of conditions.

I don't think there would be much difference in offroading given they have low range in the transfer case so that may not be a significant factor if you want to use it for offroad use.
post #11 of 18 Old 10-31-2019, 11:47 AM
hodge5

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
My own personal observations of the local market here don't support the same conclusion, the six being a bit more prevalent for sale and overall rebuild/replacement frequency for either engine about equal, and interestingly enough the four cylinder Jeeps often have higher miles when offered up for sale. Chalk it up to variances in locale I guess.

That aside, the '00 SE sitting in my driveway has over 207k miles on the original engine and shows no signs of stopping or needing rebuilt anytime soon.

I don't think it's geographic. I was willing to travel, so I searched quite a few states on Craigslist.
I found (10) 4 cylinder jeeps to (1) 6, I'd estimate. The majority were between 120,000 and 200,000 miles, and many- more than 50%- had replacement engines.
My takeaway was that it is common to find a 4 cylinder YJ that's had the engine replaced within 150,000 miles. Unless it was mentioned, very few of the 6 cylinders, in the same mileage range, had a replacement engine.
post #12 of 18 Old 10-31-2019, 06:19 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodge5 View Post
I don't think it's geographic. I was willing to travel, so I searched quite a few states on Craigslist.
I found (10) 4 cylinder jeeps to (1) 6, I'd estimate. The majority were between 120,000 and 200,000 miles, and many- more than 50%- had replacement engines.
My takeaway was that it is common to find a 4 cylinder YJ that's had the engine replaced within 150,000 miles. Unless it was mentioned, very few of the 6 cylinders, in the same mileage range, had a replacement engine.
Let me state first that my searches were and are based on TJs, not YJs, being not only what I am most interested in but also the subject of the OP's question. I base my observations on a hobby of mine for roughly the past decade, which has been to keep an eye on classified ads with TJs for sale within a couple hundred miles of where I live. All opinions are welcome, but I would say that a sampling of eleven total vehicles isn't anywhere near enough to make a good informed determination as to what can or should be considered normal when you're talking about something that was made to the tune of over half a million units (YJ) or just shy of one million (TJ).

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #13 of 18 Old 10-31-2019, 06:33 PM
StrippedTorx

I will say up here in the rust belt 2.5 yjs are more common that 4.0 ones.
And 4.0 automatic tjs are more prevalent than others.

I’d say the rust has something to do with it. Taking out the daily’s and trail rigs while your grandmas 2.5s been Garagre kept the last 20 years.

Either way they still want an arm and a leg for them. Buy a Jeep in Texas, bring it here, add a 2000$ premium for no rust and you will sell it within a week.
post #14 of 18 Old 11-01-2019, 09:51 AM
hodge5

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Let me state first that my searches were and are based on TJs, not YJs, being not only what I am most interested in but also the subject of the OP's question. I base my observations on a hobby of mine for roughly the past decade, which has been to keep an eye on classified ads with TJs for sale within a couple hundred miles of where I live. All opinions are welcome, but I would say that a sampling of eleven total vehicles isn't anywhere near enough to make a good informed determination as to what can or should be considered normal when you're talking about something that was made to the tune of over half a million units (YJ) or just shy of one million (TJ).
The OP's question is about 4 vs. 6 cylinder- TJ or YJ, the comparison is valuable regardless- both models used the 2.5.

I didn't sample 11 Jeeps, I looked at a thousand or more- easy to do searching nationwide online. That was a ratio, not a total.

I still stand behind my conclusion- there are a lot more 4 cylinder Jeeps for sale vs. 6 cylinders, and many of those 4 cylinders have been replaced. Why they don't appear to last as long, seems to be a consideration inline with what the the OP is seeking to determine.

You say that all opinions are welcome, but you don't seem to value mine. That's fine, I'm trying to add something of value to what the OP is seeking.
post #15 of 18 Old 11-01-2019, 01:10 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

@hodge5

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in