2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk purchase - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 02-23-2020, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Henrykjr

2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk purchase

Hey folks,

I know some of the Jeep experts will have the answers to my questions here.

I am in the market for a new SUV.....I have narrowed it down to the Trailhawk, Cadillac X5, BMW X1 and the Lexus NX200

All of them will be AWD. There are pluses and minus to each of these vehicles but I really need some good advice on the Jeep from the members here.

My largest concern is over the vehicle warranty/reliability, the overall quality of the vehicle, and how rapidly these vehicles depreciate.

My experience on the later model Chrysler Jeep products has been primarily rental cars in which at 20-30K the interiors on these cars look completely worn out.

Thus far I have looked at 2 CPO trailhawks....one with 23K and the other with 17K in it. Both of them are $22K
The exterior of the cars are perfect the the interiors are typically showing wear that I would normally see in other cars that have 70K on them.

The vinyl seat bolsters are already wrinkling up and the vinyl steering wheel wrap shows similar wear. Since I am somewhat anal about how I keep my cars one option would be to leather wrap the steering wheel, and then replace the front seats with a high quality car seat cover or actually buy the factory leather and put it in.

The carpet in the trunk area shows excessive wear also for low mileage cars.

What are the opinions here on interior quality?

I am also worried about the depreciation on these vehicles. I am finding rental car fleets selling theirs at $19K....with less than 20K on them. I find that pretty staggering since if you rolled out of the dealership a year ago that vehicle would have cost you $36K. That is a HUGE price difference between new and 1 year old. Similarly.....the CPO trailhawks are only $4k more. Is this vehicle poor quality?

Lastly.....I am gonna drive the wheels off this vehicle.......will it last over 100K without issue?

I like the vehicle but I'm a bit worried here.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-23-2020, 03:13 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Think about stepping up to the Grand Cherokee instead of the Cherokee. Both are available with Trailhawk trim.
The Grand Cherokee is a much higher end vehicle with better build quality, nicer interior and is an actual American Jeep, sharing it's platform with the Dodge Durango.
The Cherokee is lower build quality, based on the Alpha Romeo Juilia, the same basic platform as the Dodge Dart.
If you're comparing with high end vehicles like Caddys, BMWs and Lexus, look at the higher end Jeep.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #3 of 11 Old 02-23-2020, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Henrykjr

Thanks for the advice.

Pricing stacks up like this on the CPO stuff. Trailhawk $22K, X1 AWD Base $21K, Caddy AWD $27K and the Lexus AWD about $28K.
Trying to buy in the same range. Grand Cherokee is slightly over $30K which puts me into a CPO Audi Q5

Is the Cherokee reliable at all?

post #4 of 11 Old 02-23-2020, 05:07 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Early model years (15 and earlier) had some issues with the 9 speed transmission. Otherwise, they seem to be fairly reliable. They're just not Jeep's "flagship" high-end model.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #5 of 11 Old 02-23-2020, 05:18 PM
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzin View Post
Think about stepping up to the Grand Cherokee instead of the Cherokee. Both are available with Trailhawk trim.
The Grand Cherokee is a much higher end vehicle with better build quality, nicer interior and is an actual American Jeep, sharing it's platform with the Dodge Durango.
The Cherokee is lower build quality, based on the Alpha Romeo Juilia, the same basic platform as the Dodge Dart.
If you're comparing with high end vehicles like Caddys, BMWs and Lexus, look at the higher end Jeep.
Point of order, but the "American" WK2 is largely based on the German (Daimler) ML.

Also be careful let's not confuse the compact family Giulietta with the luxury sports car Giulia

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Romeo_Giulietta

Vs

https://www.alfaromeousa.com/cars/gi...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Agree on rest.

Op you're over-simplifying with your price point talk. Luxury brands will mean better features and amenities and anything but a top model and relatively high trim level Jeep won't compare well.

Are the model years and mileage all apples-to-apples?

Rentals - I wouldn't touch a former rental. It's worst case scenario of accelerated wear and abuse.

A clean CPO with a decent (100k) warranty is another thing.

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
post #6 of 11 Old 02-23-2020, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Henrykjr

Duplicate post see below.

Last edited by Henrykjr; 02-23-2020 at 05:46 PM. Reason: duplicate post
post #7 of 11 Old 02-23-2020, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Henrykjr

All trims I am comparing are pretty darn close.
I'm have a simple set of requirements
AWD
Fog Lamps
The ability to add a hitch
Sirius Radio
Good crash rating
Good gas mileage

Jeep has the worst warranty for CPO followed by Cadillac.....the best warranty for CPO are the Lexus and BWM both.
4 50000 factory warranty plus 2 years unlimited mileage. That means roughly in 3 years I can but 120K on the car and still be covered.

Where I am sort of stuck is 2.0 turbo vs 6 cylinder noramally aspirated
post #8 of 11 Old 02-27-2020, 10:02 PM
Molez93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrykjr View Post
Where I am sort of stuck is 2.0 turbo vs 6 cylinder noramally aspirated
Stuck in what way?
I thought the impression was the Jeep turbo 4 performance vs their pentastar v6 was better, unless you simply hate the engineís sound.
While I understand plenty of folks just feel more comfortable with a 6 instead of a 4, the torque curves donít lie.

Edit->
And... After questioning my statement, I went hunting for this thread.
This forum ďf858/having-choice-between-2-0-i4-turbo-3-6-v-automatic-trans-6-a-4382913/ď

Last edited by Molez93; 02-27-2020 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Added link, questioned my initial statement
post #9 of 11 Old 02-28-2020, 05:07 AM
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molez93 View Post
Stuck in what way?

I thought the impression was the Jeep turbo 4 performance vs their pentastar v6 was better, unless you simply hate the engineís sound.

While I understand plenty of folks just feel more comfortable with a 6 instead of a 4, the torque curves donít lie.

I think that's an oversimplification.

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
post #10 of 11 Old 02-28-2020, 06:20 AM
Molez93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M View Post
I think that's an oversimplification.
Haha. Agreed... thus my subsequent edit/addition of that other thread with more detailed discussion.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-01-2020, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Henrykjr

Simply put 2.0 turbo motors take premium fuel which is more costly. Also 2.0 motors really are not all that reliable over 100K.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in