2016 - 2019 Models Cherokee Trail Hawk? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 02-11-2019, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
abuis

2016 - 2019 Models Cherokee Trail Hawk?

My wife and I are looking to get another Jeep, our first Jeep was an 02 Liberty - we had that jeep for about 7 years it was a great small jeep for city driving - and a little off road as well.

We sold it after it started going bad with a lot of repairs. We are now looking to do this again with a Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk.

I recently test drove one as well as a Wrangler. Now it is just the 2 of us I am trying to figure out which one we would be best for us. I like the flexibility of the wrangler however it is a very stiff and rough ride on the city streets. Whereas the Cherokee was nice and comfortable with great handling on the street.

What are your thoughts on these - Specifically the Cherokee Trailhawk as we are leaning that way currently.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-11-2019, 10:33 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

The Cherokee handles so well on the streets because it's a street car, not built on a Jeep platform. It's built on Fiat's 'compact, wide wheel base' platform, same as the Alpha Romeo Giulietta, Dodge Dart and Chrysler 200.
Meanwhile, the Wrangler is still a far more rugged full body-on-frame Jeep.
Personally, I wouldn't trust the Cherokee with very much more than a dirt road, the Wrangler I wouldn't hesitate to take on most trails. So, it's all a matter of what you're after.
The obvious compromise between the two would be a Grand Cherokee, which is quite comfortable on the road and still reasonable capable off-road.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #3 of 5 Old 02-11-2019, 11:55 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

I beg to differ with Kenny.

The Cherokee Trailhawk is surprisingly capable off road within it's limits. It's not a rock crawler, the stock JK/JL will outclimb a stock Cherokee but again, it's quite capable for the occasional off road trip if you are not stupid. I have witnessed the TH on trails at Rausch Creek. True, they were the green and mild blues but they were there, crawling over small obstacles.

The Cherokee TH has a real locker, the Grand Cherokee TH only has eLSD. The Grand Cherokee rides great on the street and does have more ground clearance than a Cherokee.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA

post #4 of 5 Old 02-13-2019, 08:25 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

I don't think our opinions differ that much. You said they're capable of green and mild blue trails. I said not much more than a dirt road....In my mind, green trails are dirt roads and mild blues are not much more than dirt roads. Then again, I live in Colorado where many of the driveways I go up in the mountains are tougher than 'green' trails...

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #5 of 5 Old 04-05-2019, 03:12 PM
vertigo122001

The Cherokee Trailhawk has the 2nd lowest gear ratio in low in the Jeep lineup (2.0L anyways), and comes stock with skid plates (an upgrade on the Overland), lift, and different suspension - which yes, won't match a Wrangler, but makes it more capable than what is being led on here. The Cherokee Trailhawk is a Wrangler for the commuter pretty much, but it can crawl and hold it's own compared to almost anything else in situations except the extreme off camber trails. I only got mine a few weeks ago but there's a few good videos of the capability on rock, and I'm in SoCal and we've been impressing people in the OHV areas going over more than "small obstacles"- literally people's faces shocked. It's also nice to be in those areas w/ the (almost) best of them and have AC/cooling seats, sat nav, etc.
TLR - Cherokee Trailhawk isn't a Wrangler, but it's not far behind and isn't supposed to be one, and will earn more of the credit it deserves the more are sold and people use them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in