1Likes
  • 1 Post By cranbiz

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-15-2019, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
joeybetamax

Garage
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.7 V6 Durability

Hey all,

I am looking around and need some assisting in buying a Jeep. It is a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 141,000 miles on it.

How long do these last BTW?

Is it worth the investment for miles so high?

Anything to keep an eye out for?

If so, what's the value of the car for something like that?

From what I understand, it went through all the recalls, babied and maintained. Engine and transmission are confirmed working well (but will get a second opinion anyway).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-16-2019, 01:36 PM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

The 3.7 and the 4.7's found in the WK's are decent as long as they are taken care of. If they get overheated, they normally become junk. So pay close attention to the cooling system.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #3 of 9 Old 04-19-2019, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
joeybetamax

Garage
You mean determining by the AC if the air cools or pushes warm air ?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 9 Old 04-19-2019, 04:56 PM
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
High miles??? My 2005 4.7l had almost 300k miles before the person I sold it to ran 10k miles OVER the oil change recommendation and ran it low on coolant (see cranbiz's comment). When they toasted the motor I bought it back and restored the jeep back to life.

I agree whole heartedly that the common failures are NOT of the engine, they are of the owners not taking care of them. Dropped valve seats being the most common major failure, I believe to be in direct relation to super high cylinder head temps from air in the cooling system. The second most common failure I have experienced is head gaskets. Also caused by owners never changing the coolant and electrolysis eating away the cooling system from the inside.

The biggest consideration... the 3.7l is GUTLESS. I am sure you are not looking for a race car, but the 4.7l is so much more powerful (more towing and carrying capacity) and has considerably better 4wd options (QTI and QDII). I don't mention the hemi in this argument because it gets considerably worse fuel economy for the power and had issues in the early WK's. The 3.0l diesel has a HUGE following on this forum but for every post praising it, there is at least one post of an owner who cannot afford the repairs it needs.

The mileage doesn't scare me. The value would probably be in the 3-3.5k dollar range dependent on your location. Considering most early WK's with no rust (most cars around me in the PACNW dont have rust) and hemi's are going for 5-7k with similar mileage and better options.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Work in progress...
post #5 of 9 Old 04-19-2019, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
joeybetamax

Garage
I was able to get pictures of the car engine bay and engine running.

Let me know what you guys think....

post #6 of 9 Old 04-22-2019, 09:58 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybetamax View Post
You mean determining by the AC if the air cools or pushes warm air ?

No, I meant the engine cooling system. Radiator condition (they are known for micro cracking which causes coolant loss) Thermostat, hoses, etc.My son and his GF have both had tank to fin microcracking which caused the overflow tank not to refil the radiator. The radiator lost coolant and both of them overheated the motor, his a 3.7 L and hers, a 4.7 L which caused head and valve problems.
2005JGC likes this.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #7 of 9 Old 04-22-2019, 09:59 AM
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybetamax View Post
I was able to get pictures of the car engine bay and engine running.

Let me know what you guys think....

The pinkish/orangish coolant is a good... or bad sign. haha.

It would appear to be the correct Chrysler coolant which I appreciate seeing this. This is great if it has been flushed/ or at least drained and refilled before. If it is the original fill, its been running for almost 2 times longer than the maintenance interval (by time), and close for mileage.

There is clearly some rust and I am going to guess where you live this is normal.

Look at the dipstick, see what the oil looks like. Is there a bunch of oil stained on the dipstick? I typically see this on a car that is going well over the oil change interval. The additive package in the oil breaks down and it no longer cleans the inside of the engine.

Look at the air filter. A cheap 15 dollar maintenance item that any Joe Schmoe could do in a parts store parking lot, packed full of dirt and road grime would make me wonder about how the car was taken care of.

post #8 of 9 Old 04-22-2019, 10:12 AM
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranbiz View Post
No, I meant the engine cooling system. Radiator condition (they are known for micro cracking which causes coolant loss) Thermostat, hoses, etc.My son and his GF have both had tank to fin microcracking which caused the overflow tank not to refil the radiator. The radiator lost coolant and both of them overheated the motor, his a 3.7 L and hers, a 4.7 L which caused head and valve problems.
Typically when I see the full overflow tank and empty radiator its a head problem to begin with (it absolutely can be an external leak too though). Now you have radiator end tanks taking super heated spurts of coolant as the engine is getting hot. Sometimes not seen on the gauge because it wont read accurately unless submerged in coolant. Now you have a cracked plastic radiator end tank with the rapid expansion and contraction with the super hot coolant over and over.

Most of the time it is a driver ignoring the car or engine that leads to the big engine problems. If you treat it like a 15 year old car and check the fluids every fill up (until you are sure fluids aren't disappearing). Then maybe once every 2 weeks or once a month. It will prevent many headaches!

post #9 of 9 Old 04-22-2019, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
joeybetamax

Garage
I appreciate all your responses. I also notice the key to test out is bent a bit as was told that the car did not start at one point and was taken in for the ignition replacement recall. The seller appears to be a bit transparent about the issue. Should the issue persist, will the Jeep dealership honor the replacement to a new user if the issue persists?

(more of an understanding question of car relation and options).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in