2002 laredo - worth fixing? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 11-27-2018, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
clintaskins

2002 laredo - worth fixing?

i have a friend who is giving me his 2002 laredo, 187K miles for free. 4.0, 4x4.

it's got the death wobble and a leaky radiator. a mechanic i trust told me it needs about $2000 of work and would be fine after that.

one owner, didn't do hardcore offroading.

is it worth putting 2-3K into if i had to? or should i not bother.

i just need a vehicle around the city (denver). no road trips. just something good in the snow and maybe an occasional trip to the slopes.

Last edited by clintaskins; 11-27-2018 at 04:55 PM. Reason: forgot a few details
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-27-2018, 05:04 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Well, that's about how much they're selling for on craigslist...so up to you if you like it enough and want to take the chance. Hard to beat free if that's really all that's wrong with it.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #3 of 4 Old 11-27-2018, 05:14 PM
yobub

2012 JK Wrangler 

With 187k miles, you should assume that the first $2000 is just the ante. You will keep spending money after that, and some items are big $$. If you are OK with spending the $2000 and then being prepared to spend more, then go for it. If you are tapped out at the $2000 and won't be able to keep putting money into it, then you should probably pass.

I have two '02 Grand Cherokees, one is at about 135k, the other is almost 200k. The trans is going on the 200k mile vehicle, and I'm going to let it die then scrap it - not worth repairing the trans, then the brakes which are next, then the next thing in line, but I can also afford to buy something else. The one with 135k is going well so far, so I am going to keep putting money into that.

post #4 of 4 Old 11-27-2018, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
clintaskins

i could put more than 2 in it. basically, i want something to drive around town for a couple of years, then buy something new(er). this is a cheap option for now, as we are a one car family. i read several places these can last til 250-300K. not sure if any of that makes a difference.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in