Wheel Beadlocks or Tire Beadlocks - JeepForum.com
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 09-13-2020, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
MyWranglerRules

Wheel Beadlocks or Tire Beadlocks

Hi guys, so this Jeep is actually my first truck ever! I got it as a graduation gift. I want to do it up badazz. Im first looking at changing the boring wheels and tires. I love the look of Nitto Dune Grapplers. They have rubber injection molded bead bolts built right into the tire but the Rockstar wheels I want also have bead bolts machined into the surface.

Will the rubber beadlocks work well with the machined bead bolts? or will this combination just not work? I'm thinking have 2 sets of bead bolts, one on the tire and one on the wheel, would not only look badazzz but also do whatever bead bolts are supposed to do twice as good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 09-13-2020, 04:14 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
both are fake bead locks, so they do nothing. It is all looks. You dont really want real bead locks for street use. No one will mount them, you get to do it. Most are not DOT, so they are for off road use. Real bead locks start in the 400$ range each.

To answer your question that tire will mount on any type wheel. Look up say Race Line bead locks to get an idea what they look like and maybe look at you tube to see how they bolt the ring over the bead. with real bolts.
Conrad_in_PA and RevScott like this.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 34 Old 09-13-2020, 04:30 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
You dont really want real bead locks for street use. No one will mount them, you get to do it. Most are not DOT, so they are for off road use
There's literally no such thing as a DOT compliant bead lock wheel. The Federal DOT has no testing program or approval process for them, they don't care. DOT "compliant" beadlock wheels is pure marketing smoke and mirrors.

Beadlocks are legal in all but 3 states. Two of them are Utah and New Jersey, the third was added in the last couple years but I forget which state it is.

Beadlocks are definitely completely legal there in Arizona. Bead lock wheels are only illegal in the 3 states that specifically made them illegal.

I have a copy of a letter from the Federal DOT confirming there is no DOT approval process for bead lock wheels therefore there is no such thing as a DOT approved/compliant beadlock wheel.
NashvilleTJ and Conrad_in_PA like this.

When you have a choice, buy American made.

post #4 of 34 Old 09-13-2020, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
MyWranglerRules

Thanks! I want it more for looks than function anyway. On the pic from Nittos site. They show the rubber injection molded beadlocks paired with the machined on the wheel so I guess the combo works. I just don't want too many beadlocks detracting from the flame tread
Attached Thumbnails
bolts.jpg  
post #5 of 34 Old 09-13-2020, 04:46 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Beadlocks are legal in all but 3 states. Two of them are Utah and New Jersey, the third was added in the last couple years but I forget which state it is.
Probably Va. Everything is illegal here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
GOT IT BACK 6/17. 03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with 4" lift coils up front/Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
post #6 of 34 Old 09-13-2020, 04:47 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyWranglerRules View Post
Thanks! I want it more for looks than function anyway. On the pic from Nittos site. They show the rubber injection molded beadlocks paired with the machined on the wheel so I guess the combo works. I just don't want too many beadlocks detracting from the flame tread
Is that a picture of an alien?
Mattific likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
GOT IT BACK 6/17. 03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with 4" lift coils up front/Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
post #7 of 34 Old 09-13-2020, 05:00 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Form over Function? Me its function first. care less how it looks.

Dose DOT test anything really? Or is it more a standard of production levels?

Me i dont care my self. My jeep has no air bags as well. They went off on there own and after that i knew i would NEVER have them in a Jeep again. Fiat did nothing about it as well, refereed me to their legal department. I am not made of money and not one lawyer would take it up as well. No money in it... So FLUSH Fiat they coitus them self's. I would never buy another Fiat product even if that means getting a horse if they were last car maker on earth.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

post #8 of 34 Old 09-13-2020, 05:21 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
I would never buy another Fiat product even if that means getting a horse if they were last car maker on earth.
Our Wranglers are still being made in America in the same Toledo factory complex the CJ was made in. Jeep has been owned by several companies including Peugeot and it's time we moved on from Fiat's financial interest in the company. Nope, our Wranglers are not being made in Italy by Italians, it's still American made and designed. Period. Does Jeep import something made by the Italians? Yes, but it's not our beloved Wranglers. It's time to stop whinging about yet another owner of Jeep.
TheBoogieman and Ironhead like this.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #9 of 34 Old 09-13-2020, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
MyWranglerRules

So I got a quick reply from Nitto about the legality of the rubber injection molded bead bolts on the Dune Grapplers.

100% Street Legal ! !
post #10 of 34 Old 09-13-2020, 09:53 PM
Mattific

2004 TJ Wrangler 

From the pictures of those tires the “rubber injected bead bolts” seem purely for looks. They wouldn’t provide any benefit to mounting the tire/holding the tire to the wheel
post #11 of 34 Old 09-14-2020, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
MyWranglerRules

I got the tires today! They are awesome. The bolts are super beefy looking. My only complaint is the “stringers” I emailed Nitto and they claim this is a result of the injection molding process used to create the bolts. They said that these “stringers” can be removed with scissors. I think Nitto should remove these at the factory. This seems to be a flaw in the injection molding process used for these bolts and that has me somewhat concerned about the bolts longevity.

pic of “stringers” obviously present on the bolt head.
Attached Thumbnails
64F833FA-3B4F-425B-B7C1-A8243A37E30C_1600098940484.jpg  
post #12 of 34 Old 09-14-2020, 10:55 AM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

It not a flaw, it's how injection molding works. Those "stringers" are what allow air to escape from the mold, thus eliminating voids in the tire.

You bought them for looks, so if they bother you just trim them off and it will cause no issues.
underscore likes this.

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #13 of 34 Old 09-14-2020, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
MyWranglerRules

Going to take it to a mechanic. Don’t want to mess up brand new tires.
post #14 of 34 Old 09-14-2020, 03:20 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Did Nitto let you know what the torque should be on the tire's bolt heads? I know Rockstar wheel bolt heads are around 15ft/lbs, but not sure on what the tire's bolts heads should be torqued to.
NashvilleTJ likes this.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #15 of 34 Old 09-14-2020, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
MyWranglerRules

Thanks man, I'll ask the mechanic. There's nothing in the Nitto pamphlet that came with the tires about that. The good news is that if the tire beadlocks fail then the wheel beadlocks will kick in. I jumped a curb today and everything held together like glue. Lovin the Jeep !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in