What kind of tires for offroading? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 02-06-2018, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
tannerwrangler

What kind of tires for offroading?

So I'm interested in taking my 2006 Wrangler TJ Sport off-roading but I'm not sure if I need to buy new tires. I have never gone off-roading, so I probably don't need something super heavy duty right now but what kind of things should I be looking for?

How thick do threads have to be to be considered "off-road capable"?
What kind of measurements do I look for?
Can they be previously used?
Where is the cheapest I can get these?
Do I need new rims?

If there is any part of this that I can clarify, please let me know. Thank you!

Last edited by tannerwrangler; 02-06-2018 at 11:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-07-2018, 08:44 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Will depend on what type of off road. most trails will have a rating. Basic car tires should be able to get through easy stuff. A AT/tire is a good choice for dual purpose. MT tires tend to more focused to off road and less to on.

No matter what tire you have to air down(starts at 12psi.) is what makes the biggest change to ride and grip. An air downed tire should be able to handle damage better. were a tire at street pressures tend to get cut more do to not flexing around sharper objects.

here in AZ its class 1.0-5.0(with .5). a 1 is a dirt road(dry) county or forestry, passable in most vehicles. a 2 is a none improved/maintained dirt road, SUV with good ground clearance 4x4 may be need. a 3 is were you need a jeep with better tires. by 4s you need 35s and lockers by 4.5 37s full cage damage is expected better than average driver skills. 5s are serious trails.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-27-2018, 06:18 PM
Rugged4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannerwrangler View Post
So I'm interested in taking my 2006 Wrangler TJ Sport off-roading but I'm not sure if I need to buy new tires. I have never gone off-roading, so I probably don't need something super heavy duty right now but what kind of things should I be looking for?

How thick do threads have to be to be considered "off-road capable"?
What kind of measurements do I look for?
Can they be previously used?
Where is the cheapest I can get these?
Do I need new rims?

If there is any part of this that I can clarify, please let me know. Thank you!
Hi TannerWrangler,

As mentioned by 222Doc it really depends on what you're using the tires for. Are you planning on swapping your tires when you want to go off-roading or is your adventure just to test out the back country? A/T tires are great for both daily driving, and doing some minor off-roading. Pro Comp makes some great A/T tires, and I would recommend some Pro Comp Xtreme A/T's...Mickey Thompson's Bajas are another great choice. Both are relatively quiet for daily use, but can definitely handle some rough terrain.

How thick do threads have to be to be considered "off-road capable"? I'd say anything over 16/32 is a good start
What kind of measurements do I look for? Depends on your wheel size
Can they be previously used? Sure! Used tires aren't a bad idea to start, but make sure they have even wear on them and are not cupped/feathered/etc
Where is the cheapest I can get these? Always good to shop around, we can help!
Do I need new rims? Only if you want new rims...if you're planning on hitting some rough terrain, you might get some scuffs, etc. but you can likely use what you currently have!

Good luck!

The trail never ends....it only begins at Rugged4x4.com

Tags
off-road , tires , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in