Two Blown BFGs - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 01-29-2013, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
D328jet
2012 JK Wrangler 

Two Blown BFGs

Hi Everyone,

I won't say this is a unique question, this being a Jeep site and all, but unfortunately I need some advice/perspective. Here's the story...

Blew two tires to start the day on a snow covered drain foundation adjacent to an access road at Snowshoe, WV. Don't try this at home folks. I tore the tread completely cross the tire on one and the other had a slow leak. I used the spare and Snowshoe maintenance used three plugs to plug one successfully for 25 miles before it blew as we happened upon a closed gas station after backtracking on a flat tire for 3 miles at 3 MPH in BFE. Someone knew someone who knew someone, and we had a used tire for $20 installed to get us back to DC. This guy will be getting OMAHA steaks on his front door step. For all the crap WV gets, ya gotta love em.

So, as a result of this, I've heard about 2 ply vs 10 ply tires and am debating just replacing the two that blew with stock, or getting 5 new 10 ply (possibly 33s or 35s). It's a 2012 MW3 stock daily driver and gets light to medium trail use. I don't plan on running over these drains again, but I would at some point like to go 2.5-3 lift and 35s. Granted that's close to a $2800 investment at this point minus selling the almost new three good stock tires.

Any thoughts on this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-29-2013, 08:59 AM
Spike6901
1997 ZJ 

I run E rated BFG AT's and have never had a flat, not once and the sidewalls are scored up from rocks that have gotten through at least one ply.

They ride a little more rough but are hell for stout.

'14 WK2: Armor, Dog Taxi
'17 JKU: Lift, Armor, more...
'97 ZJ: Lift, exhaust, more...
post #3 of 14 Old 01-29-2013, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
D328jet
2012 JK Wrangler 

What size? I can't find a stock size in an E rating.

post #4 of 14 Old 01-29-2013, 09:18 AM
TheBoss

2012 JK Wrangler 

This was kind of a unique curcumstance though don't you think. Sure the e rated 10 ply will be a bit tougher but also heavier and you'll be running half of max air pressure in it to get it to ride and wear correctly. Maybe look at the Goodyear with Kevlar brands such as the Silentarmor or MTR. What model BFG was this that failed on you?
post #5 of 14 Old 01-29-2013, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
D328jet
2012 JK Wrangler 

BFGoodrichMud-Terrain T/A KM (stock on '12 MW3/Rubicons? 255-75-17). They are C rated.
Hmmm, yes and no. I was going about 20-25 MPH and the concrete had a sharp edge, not unlike a rock in some instances, but you're right, I wouldn't be rock climbing at 25 MPH. If I'm getting into heavier trail stuff, I wasn't sure if a basically "road tire" would stand the abuse.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-29-2013, 09:41 AM
tslewisz
2010 JK Wrangler 

Well, my first thought is that what most people call "10-ply tires" don't really have 10 plies any more. That term comes from bias ply days and most of us run radials. We roughly equate it to E-rated, which really only means that the tire is built to handle 80 PSI, which is nice when towing or hauling heavy for stability. They are typically tough, but they're also heavy and don't ride very well in a light-ish Jeep. If we're talking about a heavily armored JKU with D60's that goes close to 4 tons, that's a different matter.

My BFG 315 carcasses (I have TreadWright re-treads) are D-rated, have a 3 ply sidewall, and 28 PSI gives a decent ride on road while 14 PSI works fine off road. My Jeep is probably on the light weight end of the scale.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-29-2013, 09:42 AM
GPV
2008 JK Wrangler 

Load range E max pressure is 80 psi not only will it ride rough you will wear the center of the treads out very quickly. Load tangent C tires are fine, even for wheeling, in fact aired down the C tires will function better then E rated tires since they will flex. Has anyone looked at the failed tires?

Sean

2008 Jeep JK Rubicon Unlimited (Bought for Wife)
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax (Work Horse)
1982 Honda CB 900F Supersport
2001 Honda RC51
post #8 of 14 Old 01-29-2013, 09:48 AM
RubiconTested

2012 JK Wrangler 

With all due respect,

I've been lucky to grow up in the off-roading and desert racing world, and spend a lot of time with my dads friends at BFG, General, Goodyear, Maxxis and Falken and there is a term I hear a lot.

"Where those tires the victim or culprit?"

The tires you have are tried and true - possibly the most used light truck mud tire ever. You should be fine using them again.

Austin
post #9 of 14 Old 01-29-2013, 09:48 AM
TheBoss

2012 JK Wrangler 

They test the BFG's on the Rubicon so I would guess they hold up ok,but I have heard of the KM & KM 2's have a somewhat tender sidewall. I guess it really depends on wheel placement on the trail. I had my Silentarmors through some really sharp rock out in Arizona with no issues. I wouldn't mind having these in a 35 because they are such a great all around tire,but they only size them up to a 285/70/17. Personally I think my next will be the MTR in a 35. I think a load range d would be the max for a 4dr c for the 2dr.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-29-2013, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
D328jet
2012 JK Wrangler 

The tire I had switched to get us to DC is back at their shop. The one that I ripped clear across is on my spare rack on the back. I'll have the shop look at it and see if there's anything to be done with BFG. You're right, I should have kept that other one but it only had a relatively small opening just shy of the sidewall. I do however have a picture of it after plugging.
Attached Thumbnails
tire.JPG  

Last edited by D328jet; 01-29-2013 at 10:03 AM.
post #11 of 14 Old 01-29-2013, 10:05 AM
Demp
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
They test the BFG's on the Rubicon so I would guess they hold up ok,but I have heard of the KM & KM 2's have a somewhat tender sidewall. I guess it really depends on wheel placement on the trail...
I've heard the same from those in my rocky places, and many opt for the MTR or Silentarmor for their kevlar sidewalls.

Personally never had an issue with KM and KM2 but where I live is mostly sand, mud, and water
post #12 of 14 Old 01-29-2013, 11:00 PM
jfive

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPV View Post
Load range E max pressure is 80 psi not only will it ride rough you will wear the center of the treads out very quickly. Load tangent C tires are fine, even for wheeling, in fact aired down the C tires will function better then E rated tires since they will flex. Has anyone looked at the failed tires?
I've got over 30k miles on a set of E load tires on my JKU and they wear evenly and ride smooth (Toyo MT). Not accurate. Inflate them properly and keep them aligned.

Cheers,
John
'11 JKU
'88 YJ
post #13 of 14 Old 01-30-2013, 08:30 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
They test the BFG's on the Rubicon so I would guess they hold up ok,but I have heard of the KM & KM 2's have a somewhat tender sidewall. I guess it really depends on wheel placement on the trail. I had my Silentarmors through some really sharp rock out in Arizona with no issues. I wouldn't mind having these in a 35 because they are such a great all around tire,but they only size them up to a 285/70/17. Personally I think my next will be the MTR in a 35. I think a load range d would be the max for a 4dr c for the 2dr.
The trouble we have here in AZ. in the end. cactus spines..... They wont get you right away but after a few years on the trail they work in and you get that slow leak, cactus style. even the MTRk's. Nothing can stop these.

the rubicon is not to hard on tires. after this summer its not even that hard on a jeep. They filled and blasted the little sluice, big sluice and the tree tight spot was opened up. few year sback the blated the gate keeper.

I could run a stocker through it now. on street tires.

Dusy run! 013

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 14 Old 02-02-2013, 08:18 PM
GPV
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfive View Post
I've got over 30k miles on a set of E load tires on my JKU and they wear evenly and ride smooth (Toyo MT). Not accurate. Inflate them properly and keep them aligned.
You should get more than 30k! Having said that I got 50k out of the first set of BFG ATs I put on my truck and only 25k out of the next set. Not impressed with that at all. My truck is almost twice as heavy as the Jeep and then pulls a 10k load..................... I believe that the first set was a miracle fluke compound that wasn't ever meant to be sold to the public

Got 60k out of the original BFG MTs on the Jeep...................... 5 tire rotation.

Sean

2008 Jeep JK Rubicon Unlimited (Bought for Wife)
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax (Work Horse)
1982 Honda CB 900F Supersport
2001 Honda RC51

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in