• 1 Post By jbolty

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-26-2021, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
jbolty
Administrator

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
trailer tires?

I have had a bunch of flats this season and I'm pretty sure it's because the tires are over loaded. They are only rated (I think) 1820#. have not weighed my jeep but guessing with the ton axles it has to be 5000 + the trailer itself sits maybe 1500 so pretty close to max constantly with firewood and other stuff.

Size is 205/75/15 but all the load E tires I can find are 225/75/15. I know it's only about an inch taller but there is already not a lot of room under the fender. .

any thoughts welcome on brands to buy or stay away from or who has a heavy rated 205 tire

thx

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-26-2021, 03:58 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
tire is over weighted for sure. So that size you cant get an E. Wont matter if that is the case if over weight more over at speed since even ones rated at say 2500 each are still speed rated to around 75 max. The China ones are not reliable at all had have new ones not last a year . After Goodyear moved that division back here the tire is good had no issues in three year total on two seperat trails that started with China junk. But Corsair? is total junk dangerous even. We tow the jeep a lot i always use Discount since they are in the states we tow Cali, Utah, Nevada AZ and wheel. Even my 37 are Discount with Certs and fact is they tend to get replaced by warranty well before the reach tread being to low. Cut by rock covered, but fact is here they die from Cactus in the end if not by a rock anyway. You get leaks from Chollo cactus no side wall repairs so new tire. only pay the the next warranty cert 70 bucks for 450 dollar tire.

must be a small trailer i have a 16 foot its alloy too rated for 7k load and i bet it weighs 1500. my last one was all steel and was very heavy. Must have been over a ton. its about three years now old started with those China junk they always use. They started blowing out about a year.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 Old 04-26-2021, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
jbolty
Administrator

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
tire is over weighted for sure. So that size you cant get an E. Wont matter if that is the case if over weight more over at speed since even ones rated at say 2500 each are still speed rated to around 75 max. The China ones are not reliable at all had have new ones not last a year . After Goodyear moved that division back here the tire is good had no issues in three year total on two seperat trails that started with China junk. But Corsair? is total junk dangerous even. We tow the jeep a lot i always use Discount since they are in the states we tow Cali, Utah, Nevada AZ and wheel. Even my 37 are Discount with Certs and fact is they tend to get replaced by warranty well before the reach tread being to low. Cut by rock covered, but fact is here they die from Cactus in the end if not by a rock anyway. You get leaks from Chollo cactus no side wall repairs so new tire. only pay the the next warranty cert 70 bucks for 450 dollar tire.

must be a small trailer i have a 16 foot its alloy too rated for 7k load and i bet it weighs 1500. my last one was all steel and was very heavy. Must have been over a ton. its about three years now old started with those China junk they always use. They started blowing out about a year.
thanks. my trailer is 16' steel but the narrow format and open in the middle so not overly heavy by itself.. Here in CA it's not legal to ever tow anything over 55 at any time. Of course people do but my RV uses way more gas at speed so I take the extra hour to get where I'm going.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #4 of 9 Old 04-26-2021, 04:15 PM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Goodyear Endurance is highly recommended on a boat forum I am on.

I haven't used them, but they are the clear favorite amongst those guys.

The 205/70/15 load range D is rated for 2,149 lbs.

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires...ng=-83.7305392

The 225/75/15 load range E is rated for 2,833 lbs.

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires...ng=-83.7305392
post #5 of 9 Old 04-27-2021, 11:52 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

you couldn't pay me to run a 205 on anything bigger than a lawmower trailer. Step up to the 225 even if it means cutting off and welding on new fenders, you will be money ahead in tire life. Trailer tires are a replace every 4 year item, that is all they are rated for due to UV deterioration.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #6 of 9 Old 04-27-2021, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
jbolty
Administrator

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
you couldn't pay me to run a 205 on anything bigger than a lawmower trailer. Step up to the 225 even if it means cutting off and welding on new fenders, you will be money ahead in tire life. Trailer tires are a replace every 4 year item, that is all they are rated for due to UV deterioration.

Yup, I agree after all my reading. I should have plenty of room

thx

post #7 of 9 Old 04-27-2021, 06:24 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Have been running Thunderer tires on 2 trailers and have had good luck for the 3 years they have been in use. Should make it to the 4 year mark before replacement is needed.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #8 of 9 Old 05-04-2021, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
jbolty
Administrator

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Got a set of endurance 225. The fender brace was already close so I moved them to be safe. Now need to find a couple rims for cheap spares since I destroyed two this year.
Wheelin98TJ likes this.

post #9 of 9 Old 05-04-2021, 09:33 AM
LouC
2007 WK 

The only trailer tire from the far east I have heard consistently good things about is the Kenda Load Star. They are a bias ply tire and I think bias tires if you are buying from that part of the world are actually less risky because the technology required to manufacture a good steel radial tire is far more involved than a simple bias ply tire. Firestone found that out the hard way back in the 1970s with the 500 recall that nearly killed them.

https://specialty.kendatire.com/en-u...loadstar-k550/
these are reasonably priced and are available in a 225/75-15 size 10 ply rated to 2830 lbs each.

2017 JK Unlimited Sport 6 spd
2007 WK Limited Hemi QDII
1998 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in