Tirerack has Firestone#1 and BFG#9 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-12-2009, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
CoolContractor

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Tirerack has Firestone#1 and BFG#9

Looking on the Tirerack site under A/T, they have the Firestone Destination A/T as #1 and BFG A/T as #9. Is this true? Anyone with recent experience with either one? I'm about to pull the trigger on some 285/75 R16's in the next few days and am doing some research. Help me.

2006 TJ Rubicon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-12-2009, 08:01 PM
fedrusion
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I think firestone was rated #1for the MT as well. This only applies to tires that tire rack sells and is based on ratings from tirerack customers. I do love my destination MT's though.

1999 Cherokee 2 Door Sport (To be modified) Mine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5.5" Composite lift, Rough Country Control Arm Drop Brackets, 31X10.5X15 Dayton Timberline AT's On Canyons, 31X10.5 Firestone Destination MT's, P.O.R.C. SYE and front CV Drive Shaft, Homemade Short Ram Intake, Locked 8.25. Comming Soon: Stroker.
2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo (To be left alone) Wife's.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-13-2009, 08:49 AM
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2002 WJ 

Check the "wet" "dry" etc scores for each in respect to what you need. Some top ranked tires are not good in some areas and a lower ranked tire may be right for your situation.

post #4 of 10 Old 03-14-2009, 07:56 PM
+Crusader+

^^^ What he said.

I think appearance plays a role with BFG's popularity as well, they make great looking tires. The rankings do give a pretty honest average, but you have to take into account that if one tire is rated 8.3 in snow and the other 8.1, well that is pretty much a wash stat, meaning both are equally capable in snow, and so you need to determine which fits you better. For example, if you wheel in snow, rain and sand a lot, then you want the tire rated better in those categories, not just an overall score. The top tire might be insuffient in a category that matters to you ... good luck.

post #5 of 10 Old 03-14-2009, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
CoolContractor

2006 TJ Wrangler 

JoeDaddy, I want it all! Ha ha. You make a lot of sense.

2006 TJ Rubicon
post #6 of 10 Old 03-14-2009, 08:15 PM
+Crusader+

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolContractor View Post
JoeDaddy, I want it all! Ha ha. You make a lot of sense.
Ha ha, that is why there is an afterlife man ... If this place was perfect, they'd just call it Heaven.

post #7 of 10 Old 03-14-2009, 09:38 PM
fedrusion
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Also asking for opinions here may get you better results since the only way for the ratings to be 100% accurate would requir many people to use all of the tires in all of the categories and then rate them acordingly, since most people arent going to do this the rating doesnt really mean much, also alot of the bad ratings are from people buying tires for looks and are then unimpressed because of bad road noise and tread wear when they were not meant for street use.

Reviews mean more than ratings.

1999 Cherokee 2 Door Sport (To be modified) Mine.

5.5" Composite lift, Rough Country Control Arm Drop Brackets, 31X10.5X15 Dayton Timberline AT's On Canyons, 31X10.5 Firestone Destination MT's, P.O.R.C. SYE and front CV Drive Shaft, Homemade Short Ram Intake, Locked 8.25. Comming Soon: Stroker.
2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo (To be left alone) Wife's.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-14-2009, 10:21 PM
+Crusader+

Well the ratings are a good average of thousands of users, so the overexcited, and the clueless, get thinned out by the majority that do tend to give a fairly accurate rating one way or the other.

The problem I have with relying on reviews is only if the reviews are somewhat limited, or if you read ten bad reviews in a row, and miss the 30 good reviews that follow. Reviews are one man's experience, and he may be one of the ones that is clueless overall or has tastes that vary from the norm, or yours. Where as a ratings system will AVERAGE out to make a resonable determination of a product. Unless the sampling is not large enough (not enough people bought and reviewed a tire). So I like reviews too, but one sum rating is worth 1000 reviews. My 2 cents again.

post #9 of 10 Old 03-16-2009, 10:08 AM
tj70
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I work for bridgestone /firestone in one of the last 3 plants in north america and I can tell you the reason there rated no. 1.As we all know the company went to the wood shed over the ford firestone fiasco and we lost alot of buisness and credability.We regrouped buckled down and went over every aspect of our buisness to hopefully regain the respect the name Firestone deserves.These ratings come from hard work and knowledge that we had let slide a bit in the late 80's early 90,s but we feel we have turned this thing around and are building and supplying people with the best tires on the market at the best prices you will find in a name brand tire.From cosmetic looks to wear and tear to the diff conditions you may put these tires in I feel you cant go wrong with these or any other bridgestone/firestone product.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-17-2009, 01:39 AM
+Crusader+

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj70 View Post
I work for bridgestone /firestone in one of the last 3 plants in north america and I can tell you the reason there rated no. 1.As we all know the company went to the wood shed over the ford firestone fiasco and we lost alot of buisness and credability.We regrouped buckled down and went over every aspect of our buisness to hopefully regain the respect the name Firestone deserves.These ratings come from hard work and knowledge that we had let slide a bit in the late 80's early 90,s but we feel we have turned this thing around and are building and supplying people with the best tires on the market at the best prices you will find in a name brand tire.From cosmetic looks to wear and tear to the diff conditions you may put these tires in I feel you cant go wrong with these or any other bridgestone/firestone product.

Thanks for your hard work man ...

You know the only things that get me with the two Firestone offerings are:

1) the AT tire does not have an aggressive enough design for my tastes ... appearance wise I would buy the BFG AT on this alone. There is no reason a tire can't perform well on-road AND look more rugged and off-road worthy ... is there?

2) The MT design doesn't have any "siping" on the large tread blocks to be all-purpose enough for some. I think the shape (bulge) of the tire looks off too, can't put my finger on it, but something with the appearance is just not right?

Other than that I would consider them in their performance aspects.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in