2Likes
  • 2 Post By jserna

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-08-2017, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
erolkowski
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Tire Upgrade

Hello!

I bought my TJ a month a go and it came with 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Wrangler MTR w/ kevlar tires for all 4 plus spare.

I love how they look but I live in a beach town and no real mud terrain situations that I will ever be in. These tires have a lot of life left so I plan on holding on to them, but I'm considering purchasing 4 sets of a less aggressive tire for every day use.

I do use my jeep on the beach so sand is a common terrain I will be on and we do get snow in the winter as well. These tires do fine but they do dig a lot when moving from a stopped position in sand but I hear they are great in snow which is why I would hold on to them.

I want to keep the same sizes both height and width of the current tires but something less mud related. I've looked at Falken Wildpeak AT/R as an option but they are always cheap and worried that they won't live long. I've also looked at some AT bfgoodrich tires as well as a few Nitto AT tires.

Does anyone have a specific non-mud tire that they have had good experience with? Trying to stay under $250 per tire if possible.

Thanks!

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-08-2017, 04:20 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Those MTRs are not a true mud tire. The initials actually stand for Maximum Traction Reinforced. I think they are the best multi-use tire on the market today. That said, they are on the more aggressive side. When you say good in snow, be careful how you interpret that. They are good in a couple feet of snow yes. But for a couple inches on the road they are not good. In fact I think that is their biggest weak point. Although TJs generally are not great in conditions like that due to short wheelbase.

The Falken ATs are decent tires. I would run them. The BFG AT are better tire than a lot of the internet wants to give them credit for being. Duratracs for a slightly less aggressive option are popular.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-09-2017, 11:40 PM
Polonius
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yup, BFG ATs are pretty great. Ran them for several years up here in Canada. Trying out some Grabber ATs now. So far so good. Just about every industry related pickup around here runs Duratracs.

post #4 of 9 Old 11-11-2017, 08:38 PM
Bill123

2016 JK Wrangler 

Garage
I'm a big fan of the Toyo Open Country series. Whether you're looking for an AT tire kr a mud tire, they have a great option.

2016 Wrangler Unlimited
2.5" Teraflex Lift
305/70-17 Toyo Open Country AT2
Fuel Lethal Wheels
post #5 of 9 Old 12-13-2017, 01:03 AM
tanksoldier

1997 TJ Wrangler 

The Wrangler MTR w/ Kevlar is what we used to run on out patrol vehicles. We have far more dirt roads, forest service roads and logging roads than paved roads.

ok for light off roading, dirt roads, logging roads but isn't a star, definitely not a mud tire. The biggest benefit is we almost never got flats with them.

Switched to the Duratrack which I like. Seems about as good on and off road, time will tell with flats.

If you aren't really going to do much off road at all I'd go with the BFG ATs, usually cheaper and work well enough.

My advice is run what you have until they are worn down then think about what kind of driving you've been doing in that time. If it's mostly pavement and the like, just buy some ATs. If it's been more off pavement, get the Duratracks.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-13-2017, 04:37 AM
crb20501
1990 YJ Wrangler 

while i don't have them on my jeep now, i have always had great luck with BFG AT on my other vehicles

1993 YJ
4.0L Automatic
4" Rough Country Lift
33" Tires
post #7 of 9 Old 12-13-2017, 10:47 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have the Falken AT3Ws (not ATRs) and I am happy with them but I wouldn't go out and buy a set if you already have those MTRs.

Those MTRs should be fine. I had the old school MTRs and they were not that good in the snow but from what I have heard people like the new MTRs in snow.

I have not run on sand with my Falkens so I have no idea how they will do there. We haven't had any snow my way yet. I have no idea how the Falkens will do in the snow but from what I have read they are supposed to do well in the snow.

01 TJ,33X12.5Flaken WP ATs,Winch, ARBs F&R, belly up, some armor,4.0,5spd
post #8 of 9 Old 12-15-2017, 09:15 AM
jserna
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I would just drive them till their bald. Less crap to store in the garage. I did the same thing a few years back with my WJ, but it was not worth the trouble to store them. Also most of the time I would not have the time go swap the tires to go wheeling.
Ross and KKiowaTJ like this.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-16-2017, 11:46 AM
KKiowaTJ
1973 CJ5 

As mentioned, maximum traction tire, so you will be taking a piss into the wind! I have ran BFG junk a/time in every flavor from the OG to the ko2, still a pure **** tire! Just run the mt/r until bald. Only reason it digs in, is you are taking off too fasr, try to lightly take off. But makes no difference either way, both will dig a bit.

I'd run the general grabber AT2 if I was to switch. I have had them on many street jeeps and light trucks and they walk around the BFG! Better traction, sidewall, price and they wear better.
My last set of built from garbage at ko2, lasted a whole 42k! In the set of four, one had 3 plugs and two patches, another had many plugs, one patch and then a tube they are such a **** tire. This was all highway DD miles too, on the gheyO2!

BFG at is the most overrated, bandwagon tire that's only good for dry street use!

MOPAR!

Tags
tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in