Which tire: Goodyear Assurance MaxLife vs Wrangler Duratrac - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 06-30-2020, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
lh1996

Which tire: Goodyear Assurance MaxLife vs Wrangler Duratrac

Grand Cherokee 2014, off-road driving in summer and snow driving in winter. I do not really care about road noise and etc; more care about safety and long-lasting of the tires. Tired of short-lived Michelin tires. Had better experience with Goodyear before.

Question is: which one, Goodyear Assurance MaxLife vs Wrangler Duratrac, is better: safe balance between off-road and snow driving?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-01-2020, 12:52 AM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Unless your definition of offroad driving consists solely of dry dirt roads, I don't see the Assurance Maxlife being a viable option for your intended use. The tread of the Maxlife really only appears suited to all season on-pavement use with some mild dry dirt roads thrown in -- I doubt it would hold up to gravel and rocks, and can pretty well guarantee it'd be worthless in mud.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #3 of 5 Old 07-01-2020, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
lh1996

Thank you for the reply.

The off-road drive I do could be pretty bad: none-paved road, washboard-like, potholes, rocks, relatively steep uphill/downhill... But not as bad as having big ditches, still semi-mantained road. I did not do it that often, only on weekends going hiking. (Snow driving is on weekends too.)

I have been useing "Michelin Premier LTX", and it works OK with the off-road drive. Will "Goodyear Assurance MaxLife" performance worse than "Michelin Premier LTX"? Or its tread will be worn out as fast as "Michelin Premier LTX" -- that is my main complain?

How about "Michelin Defender LTX M/S"? It has lower "speed rating" (118mph vs 149mph). I am not sure how important this is, considering I seldom drive beyond 80mph, but lots of time >70mph.

Thanks!

post #4 of 5 Old 07-01-2020, 12:39 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Since your intended use is on a maintained dirt road and your current Michelin tires work well enough for you, then the Maxlife should perform similarly since both it and your current tires are just all season radials. If better performance on non-paved surfaces is desired, an all terrain (AT) tire would be more desireable.

Regarding the speed rating of the tire, you want that number to exceed the maximum speed you expect to actually use, but having that number far in excess of your expected use can be a waste, especially if an equivalent lower cost tire will do nicely instead -- paying extra money for tires rated up to 149mph makes no sense if you never drive over 90mph. It's a similar concept as a person purchasing expensive rock crawling tires and then only driving them on the street.

The Michelin Defender LTX M/S looks like a decent tire that would fit your needs, and it has the added benefit of being M/S rated. This rating indicates mud and snow, meaning it has been tested and demonstrated to give better traction in those conditions than a standard all season tire. In some locations where tire chain use is enforced during winter, having M/S rated tires will allow you to forgo using chains, a rather handy consideration.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #5 of 5 Old 07-01-2020, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
lh1996

Hi mukluk,

Thank you so much for the explanation. I think I probably will go with "Michelin Defender LTX M/S" -- I like the fact that it handles well in snow as I do need to drive on mountain curvy roads in winter.

Have a nice day!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in