Stock Height Tire Tips - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-27-2003, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
AudioGuru

Stock Height Tire Tips

I am quite new to the forum and I have a 97 TJ Sahara that is and is going to stay at the stock height for some time. I'm running the factory 5 spoke grey rims (15x7 I think) with Bridgestone Dueler 31x9.5s. This just will not do.

I'd like to gain a wider stance and greater flotation, but I do not need height(It's very flat here in fly-over land).

The rims will be Eagle 063. I will be getting the 15x10 but I wonder which part will be appropriate to fit a 31x10.5 or 31x12.5 tire? Or if the latter will even fit under a stock height fender flare? I don't even know our bolt pattern.

Here's a list of available geometries of the wheel:
http://www.aewheel.com/wheels_detail.cfm?id=25

If anyone thinks I'm making a big mistake, please let me know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-28-2003, 12:19 AM
Tyler Dirden

Re: Stock Height Tire Tips

Quote:
Originally posted by AudioGuru
Here's a list of available geometries of the wheel:
http://www.aewheel.com/wheels_detail.cfm?id=25

If anyone thinks I'm making a big mistake, please let me know.
Opinions are like belly buttons... but since you asked. Do you offroad at all? If not, go for those wheels. If you do I'd be concerned about the noise from those wheels. Would you be able to hear the spotters instructions over the bling? Seriously... they're awful purdy to risk wrecking them on the trails.

I'm running the AR 767 15x8 and have 33x12.5s on them. I believe the backspacing was 4". If you get 4 or 3.75" back space that will push the tires out for you. With the added width of the rubber, you should get the wide look you want.

If you offroad you will benefit from a narrower wheel (8"). It will hold the tire better at low pressure.

Oh yeah. Bolt pattern is 5 on 4.5".

2003 Rubicon
'El Negro'
post #3 of 8 Old 04-28-2003, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
AudioGuru

I do offroad. We don't have a lot of rocks or hills here, mostly mud and clay, so I don't do a lot of climbing. I know I can't fit a 33" under my fenders, though. The wheels are only a polished aluminum, not chrome. So if I ding them, then I just polish harder, and I like the 10" width to reduce crowning of the tread.

post #4 of 8 Old 04-28-2003, 12:06 PM
coolhand

1992 YJ Wrangler 

If you don't want "crowning" of your tires run lower pressures. If you run 10" wheels with 10.5" tires you do more then just ding you rims, unless you do nothing except sand. If you want wider tires in a smaller diameter look at the Dick Cepec's, but get your wallet ready.

"The Empty Pocket Warriors." Member #2
"92 YJ, 3.5" BDS. Custom 1.5" lift shackles, 2" BL, Ford 8.8 W/Trac-loc & 33" TrXus MT's (for now).
"No one ever accused the Wrangler of being comfortable, quiet, or practical. No one ever called it boring, either. The Wrangler is a two-door toy, ... great fun to drive with the top down." -- AUTOMOBILE MAGAZINE, March 1995.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-28-2003, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
AudioGuru

If I do decide to lift at a later date and run a 12.5 or wider tire, then the 10" wheel width will come in handy. I do most of my off stuff in sand and mud and well cleared trails.

But should I attempt a 31x12.5 without a lift, or will it rub in the turns? Is there a 30x12.5 on the market?
post #6 of 8 Old 04-28-2003, 02:46 PM
coolhand

1992 YJ Wrangler 

After quick search on Google.
http://www.rsm.cz/mt/mt.htm

"The Empty Pocket Warriors." Member #2
"92 YJ, 3.5" BDS. Custom 1.5" lift shackles, 2" BL, Ford 8.8 W/Trac-loc & 33" TrXus MT's (for now).
"No one ever accused the Wrangler of being comfortable, quiet, or practical. No one ever called it boring, either. The Wrangler is a two-door toy, ... great fun to drive with the top down." -- AUTOMOBILE MAGAZINE, March 1995.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-28-2003, 07:02 PM
badams

sorry to butt in on your topic audioguru, but today i was thinking of doing the same,
putting on 31 12.5, and I was wondering why I haven't seen more others do it. does it look funny? or just a pain to get wider fenders and other wheels just to get a wider tire? maybe someone out there has a pic of one on thier jeep?

desert sand 99 tj sport, 5spd, 4.56, arb front, f8.8 rear, custom bumpers, 1"bl+mml, warn m8000, 35 12.5 trxus
post #8 of 8 Old 05-01-2003, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
AudioGuru

I think that a 31x12.5 will rub on stock fender flares, but I'm not sure. I had a buddy with a YJ and he put 30x12.5 on a stock height and he rubbed in tighter corners. However, he didn't adjust his steering stops, which is a must. A budget boost soleved this his flare rubbing. Since Supplee is selling Terraflex 2" BB for $100, I will probably look him up shortly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in