Really need help with tire size/availability - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 04-14-2019, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
DavidPippin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Really need help with tire size/availability

So, I have a 99TJ that has some awesome 33 x12.5's witha 3" lift on it. They stick way outside my tube fenders. Here is the catch, I am moving to Germany this summer and know that the tires MUST be under the fenders. So, I have a set of 15" grizzly stock wheels with more backspacing I can use to put new tires on that will bring the tread to just outside my fenders. I plan to attach some stiff black rubber "fender extenders" to my tube fenders to get through the German inspection process, and may leave them on if they look okay. I suck at fabbing so they will probably look like my thick cousin used a sawzall while drinking in the dark. Anyway, Is there a good tire that has excellent wet weather characteristics, off road will only be very mild and rare there. What I do not want to lose is the height my Jeep is at. I could put some 265/70R15's on there but they would only be about 29-31 inches tall.

Any help is appreciated. I just got my Jeep the way I wanted it and now I have to put it on a diet, sigh.....

Also, any ideas on the fender extenders idea I have? Materials you would recommend. A buddy said buy a kiddie pool and cut some out but I want something that doesnt slice my fat butt open when I brush my arm on it.

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-14-2019, 05:34 PM
Kalten
2006 LJ Wrangler 

why not go with 33x10.50's? should get you close, may rub the control arm at full lock.

06 LJ Auto, 4" SL, Synergy Adj CA & Trackbar, 33x10.5 AT KO,
231 w/(WC,2lo,6pinion & JB-C SSYE)
post #3 of 7 Old 04-15-2019, 02:25 AM
GermanyChris
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'll assume you're US Military and going through a USAEUR inspection.

Most local Facebook groups have stock tires to get you through the inspection but tire coverage is always good. Secondly make sure your bumper is full width you will fail with a stubby, there are inspectors who are more lenient but being the FNG your not the guy their going to be lenient with.

If your going to go work on the economy sell your Jeep you'll need close to 10k worth of modifications and other inspections before you get through TÜV

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I'm generally a very pragmatic person: that which works, works. -- Linus Torvalds

post #4 of 7 Old 04-15-2019, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
DavidPippin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
I'll assume you're US Military and going through a USAEUR inspection.

Most local Facebook groups have stock tires to get you through the inspection but tire coverage is always good. Secondly make sure your bumper is full width you will fail with a stubby, there are inspectors who are more lenient but being the FNG your not the guy their going to be lenient with.

If your going to go work on the economy sell your Jeep you'll need close to 10k worth of modifications and other inspections before you get through TÜV

I am with the military. I found some good material to "extend" my fenders so the tire with problem is solved by also buying 33x10.5's my rear fender is the full length but my front is not completely full length. Its not a stubby but looks like this exactly:

https://www.amazon.com/Paramount-Res.../dp/B00C5M2F0Y

Do you think they will gig me on that? If so I'll just buy an old stock bar to put on for the inspection
post #5 of 7 Old 04-15-2019, 01:47 PM
GermanyChris
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPippin View Post
I am with the military. I found some good material to "extend" my fenders so the tire with problem is solved by also buying 33x10.5's my rear fender is the full length but my front is not completely full length. Its not a stubby but looks like this exactly:

https://www.amazon.com/Paramount-Res.../dp/B00C5M2F0Y

Do you think they will gig me on that? If so I'll just buy an old stock bar to put on for the inspection
The picture on amazon makes it look full width.

Do what you think you need to do before coming over but there is help here, I used to run the Stuttgart 4x4 group and we got quite a few through inspection. I don't know whose running it now since I PCS'd back 18 months ago but looking to be back late summer or early fall so I'll take it back over or reconstitute it when I'm back on ground over there

I'm generally a very pragmatic person: that which works, works. -- Linus Torvalds
post #6 of 7 Old 04-15-2019, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
DavidPippin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
The picture on amazon makes it look full width.

Do what you think you need to do before coming over but there is help here, I used to run the Stuttgart 4x4 group and we got quite a few through inspection. I don't know whose running it now since I PCS'd back 18 months ago but looking to be back late summer or early fall so I'll take it back over or reconstitute it when I'm back on ground over there

Yeah, its not the same as the stock width however my plan is to remove my bumper/winch, install the stock bumper for shipment/inspection, then when the HHG gets there put my good stuff back on. I will be in Graf (again) but plan to look up 4x4 groups once there.
Did you ever get any hassle from the Polizei when jeeping around with fat tires and stubby bumpers?
post #7 of 7 Old 04-15-2019, 08:21 PM
GermanyChris
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPippin View Post
Yeah, its not the same as the stock width however my plan is to remove my bumper/winch, install the stock bumper for shipment/inspection, then when the HHG gets there put my good stuff back on. I will be in Graf (again) but plan to look up 4x4 groups once there.

Did you ever get any hassle from the Polizei when jeeping around with fat tires and stubby bumpers?
I had enough flare to cover my 12.50's but when I big tires this time I also plan on 10.50's. I've never had problems with my stubby bumper but I'm also old and don't push it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in