RE 3.5" Standard Kit question - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-19-2005, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
bradleyfitz

RE 3.5" Standard Kit question

Hi, I've tried reading through all the boards for information (and I've learned a lot!) but am still looking for an answer to a couple of questions.

I have a stock 98 Sahara, which I have yet to take off-road. I've always wanted to, but never gotten around to it (too many hobbies as it is). However, I need to replace my stock 30" tires before winter hits, and thought now would be the ideal time to upgrade to 33's. The 33" question seems to come up a lot on this board, and sadly, I need to ask parts of it again, just to make sure I don't *#@! it up My Jeep is currently 100% on road daily driver, but next year I'm aiming for at least a 5%-10% time spent on the trails.

Question 1: The RE 3.5 Standard Lift, doesn't come with shocks. The only local distributor for Jeep stuff tells me I should install new shocks on anything over a 2" lift .. true? Do most people do this? I would think not, as the shocks aren't included in the kit ... if I don't install new shocks, should I expect a much rougher on road ride?

Question 2: I was hoping to run BFG All-Terrain T/A 33x12.5x15 on my stock 15x8 rims. Again, my local Jeep distributor is advising against this and is recommending that I buy a 15x10 wheel. The BFG website seems to re-enforce this, stating that the rim size should be 8.5-11.0. But, I've read so many posts on here stating that a 12.5 (or even a 13.5) is fine on a 15x8 rim. Confused on this point still.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-19-2005, 01:12 PM
nikki

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You will definitely need new shocks with that lift. You can get away with stock shocks on a budget boost, though not the best long term option. But with anything greater than that you need new shocks, otherwise you will overextend your stock shocks.

You cannot run the BFG AT 33x12.5x15 on your stock rims unless you run wheelspacers too. However, you can run BFG AT 33x10.5x15 on your stock rims without wheelspacers.

I currently am running the Teraflex 3" lift with Teraflex HD springs (rides great on-road). I will be getting BFG AT 33x10.5x15 (in the next 2 weeks) to put on my stock Canyon rims, and will also be using Spidertrax wheelspacers with them.

HTH!
Nikki

Blue jeep club member #70
Almost Stock 2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport
post #3 of 7 Old 07-19-2005, 03:24 PM
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

to "ditto" Nikki's post...

1. you DO need shocks...

2. you CAN run 33x12.50's on your stock wheels IF you use wheel spacers (the tires themselves will fit on the rims no problem...but fitting them on the Jeep is the issue)...

new steel wheels or new wheelspacers run about the same price...buy spacers if you really like your wheels...otherwise just buy new wheels...you gotta pay mount/balance either way since you're buying new tires...

Greg

2001 TJ 60th Anniversary Edition (details in Profile)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old 07-19-2005, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
bradleyfitz

Thanks for the info. The explanation for the shocks makes sense, I just wonder why RE doesn't include them if you HAVE to upgrade them .. giving people options, I guess?

I think I'll end up going with the 33x10.5, to fit the stock rim. I was a bit concerned about the "pizza cutter" comments I had read about the 33x10.5, but after some more searching this afternoon and seeing pictures, I don't think they look bad at all.

The spacer is an ok option to run the 33x12.5 I guess, but I'm really pushing the budget for the tires and lift as is. As for the steel rims, well, I just don't think they would hold up well in the winter (rust).
post #5 of 7 Old 07-19-2005, 05:39 PM
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyfitz
Thanks for the info. The explanation for the shocks makes sense, I just wonder why RE doesn't include them if you HAVE to upgrade them .. giving people options, I guess?
most places package DT3000 shocks with the RE kits...

my "guess" is that RE doesn't include them so when people price out lift kits, they seem in line with other ~4" kits...until you figure out you need to add them...

but the quality of RE is worth the extra $$ to me...

Greg

2001 TJ 60th Anniversary Edition (details in Profile)

post #6 of 7 Old 07-19-2005, 05:51 PM
biffstephens

I agree....I am very happy with my RE 3.5 and RX9000 shocks......

It is a great starter kit in my opinion....it will get you a LOT of places....

Biff

Wheel Spacers? Aluminum Fairleads? Winch Rope? LEDS? Winches? Accessories.....

Biff
post #7 of 7 Old 07-20-2005, 10:53 AM
battallion14

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyfitz
Check with some other vendors if the one you are looking at isn't inlcuding shocks. Mine came with DT 3000's like Greg mentioned but I believe the RE monotube shocks are what is being offered with them now. You will enjoy the lift and it does really well for how little it costs and how much lift you get.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in