1Likes
  • 1 Post By Smith3973

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 08-15-2019, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
kaspre
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Quiet AT tires?

Thoughts and opinions regarding quality AT tires that are relatively quiet on the highway?

I currently have Goodyear Duratracs on my WK2 and have had no major complaints. I drive mostly on the highway with occasional offroad weekends in soft beach sand. The Duratracs have been exceptionally surefooted in sand, on highway, and in heavy rain. The only tradeoffs have been the expense (expensive tires and they seem to wear relatively fast) and road noise. Sometimes the road noise makes it hard to hear my kid in the back seat, and it seems to have only gotten louder as the tires have worn down. It would be nice to have similar performance without the excessive road noise, if such a thing is possible. Bonus points if they're cheaper and/or last longer.

I'm basically looking for an updated discussion thread like this one from a few years ago. https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/...-tire-1233006/. Any substantial changes in recommendations over the last 6-8 years?

All opinions welcome, but especially needed from folks that have tried a few different AT tires and have practical experience with a few different brands.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-15-2019, 06:02 PM
Smith3973

I am currently running goodyear wrangler adventure at with dupont kevlar 10plys. They are quiet on the highway, but they are a mediocre at best for off road. Unfortunately with the grip comes the noise. I did have a set of nitto ridge grapplers that were great in every environment and were decently quiet on the highway, they just had a little hum
kaspre likes this.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-16-2019, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
kaspre
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Tire rack ratings: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve....jsp?type=ORAT

Looks like General Grabber A/TX have gotten extremely good ratings across the board. By the numbers, these look like an upgrade in every category, including Off-road (9.2 Overall & 9.2 Sand rating vs. 9.0 & 8.8 for Duratrac), Comfort (8.9 Overall & 8.9 Noise rating vs. 8.0 & 7.6 for Duratrac), and Treadwear (9.5 vs. 8.3).

Price is comparable. Duratracs list price is higher but with a current cashback promotion that makes them a bit cheaper. ($232 x4 = $928 - $80 rebate = $848) General Grabber A/TX would be $218 x 4 = $872 unless I find a promotion for those.

There are currently a limited number of written reviews, but a lot of them have specifically mentioned that the tires seem quieter than typical AT tires. If I can get a quieter tire without sacrificing other priorities, this seems like a no-brainer. This probably at the top of my list right now, unless I find a good reason to go with something else.

Side note -- I currently have Duratracs in 275/65-18 (32.1" x 8.7"), which fit just about perfectly under my WK2 Grand Cherokee with Quadra-Lift suspension. The General Grabbers seem to have extremely similar dimensions (275/65-18 = 32.1" Diameter and 8.8" Tread width), so that's a good sign that they will fit as well.

Last edited by kaspre; 08-16-2019 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Added note about sizes and fitment for my WK2

post #4 of 4 Old 08-19-2019, 11:55 AM
kaotic4life

I just put these on and love them,. 275/55/20 AMP A/T Gripper
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in